    Running windows XP professional with the usual additions.

    Many thanks

    Franco

    Franco Proctor, Apr 25, 2009

  2. Franco Proctor wrote:

    > I installed my old 160GB hard drive into a drive caddy, first time I
    > plugged it in to my PC (Via USB 2.0 cable) the external drive was seen
    > correctly and
    > I accessed it fine. Now, when I try and plug it in I get a message coming
    > up saying that I would get faster access if I plugged it into a USB 2.00
    > port (which it is) and then when I go to My Computer the drive doesn't
    > show now.
    >
    > Tried it on my daughter's laptop and have no trouble accessing the drive.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Running windows XP professional with the usual additions.

    It would be worth a try to do a system restore to a point when it still
    worked. Otherwise, "uninstalling" the usb _controllers_ and restarting
    (they will get redetected) could do the trick. At that time, have a look
    for more recent mainboard drivers than these who came with the box, on the
    pc manuf. or mainboard homesite.
    Also, have a look in manglement/disk management utility, if you find some
    entry without a driveletter assigned.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Apr 25, 2009

  3. Franco Proctor

    Tony Guest

    I know if Chuckcar was answering this question he'd tell you to "flash the bios"
    well he'd misspell flash and put something like "flesh the bios" and don't ask
    why because i don't know how he comes up with these humdingers of suggestions.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    realm of understandability

    Tony, Apr 25, 2009
  4. Franco Proctor

    VanguardLH Guest

    Franco Proctor wrote:

    > I installed my old 160GB hard drive into a drive caddy, first time I plugged
    > it in to my PC (Via USB 2.0 cable) the external drive was seen correctly and
    > I accessed it fine. Now, when I try and plug it in I get a message coming
    > up saying that I would get faster access if I plugged it into a USB 2.00
    > port (which it is) and then when I go to My Computer the drive doesn't show
    > now.
    >
    > Tried it on my daughter's laptop and have no trouble accessing the drive.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Running windows XP professional with the usual additions.
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Franco

    From your mention of "My Computer", my guess is that you are running
    some version of Windows but you never bothered to mention WHICH version.
    If using Windows 2000+, have you checked if the external drive shows up
    in the Disk Management applet after it has been plugged in? Run:

    diskmgmt.msc

    Have you yet looked in Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) to see if there are
    any yellowed exclamation marks next to any devices? Any red X'ed
    devices (showing Windows disabled them to preserve the system)? Reboot
    with all USB devices disconnected and check Device Manager. Reboot with
    all USB devices other than the external drive connected and check Device
    Manager. In both those cases, look for a yellow exclamation for a USB
    controller or device. Then see what happens when you reboot with all
    USB devices disconnected except for the external drive.

    What happens when you cold boot the computer with the external USB drive
    *not* connected, wait until Windows loads, login, and after your desktop
    is ready then power up the external USB drive and plug it in? What
    happens when you cold boot with the external USB drive already connected
    and powered up (so it is available during the load of Windows)?

    Are you using an old USB cable or a new one that is USB2 rated? How
    long is the USB cable? Are you plugging directly into a USB port on the
    computer case or to an external USB hub? If to an external USB hub, is
    it a powered hub? USB ports are paired (each USB controller manages 2
    channels with a total of combined 500mA draw across both ports). Is
    anything else plugged into the other USB port that pairs up with the one
    you are trying to use for the external USB drive?

    Does this external USB drive have its own power supply or does it
    attempt to suck all its power out the USB port?

    Some motherboards provide a combination of USB1.1 and USB2.0 ports. How
    many USB ports are on the computer case? If more than 1 pair, have you
    tried other USB ports (and with nothing else connected to the other
    paired USB ports)?

    You could also read:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

    Also, there could be a problem with the PCB in the USB enclosure. When
    you plug in the device, its presentation data is sent to the OS and it
    is possible that one host will accept corrupted data whereas another
    will not. Sometimes this can be corrected by removing USB entries under
    the ENUM and USBstor keys under the HKLM hive in the registry. Putzing
    around there is hazardous so I won't discuss that under other normal
    troubleshooting procedures have been exhausted. However, for a device
    that doesn't properly identify itself (shows as "Unknown device" in
    Device Manager), the fix is often temporary.

    VanguardLH, Apr 25, 2009
  5. Franco Proctor

    chuckcar Guest

    VanguardLH <> wrote in news:gsv795$b2g$:

    > Franco Proctor wrote:
    >
    >> I installed my old 160GB hard drive into a drive caddy, first time I
    >> plugged it in to my PC (Via USB 2.0 cable) the external drive was seen
    >> correctly and I accessed it fine. Now, when I try and plug it in I get
    >> a message coming up saying that I would get faster access if I plugged
    >> it into a USB 2.00 port (which it is) and then when I go to My Computer
    >> the drive doesn't show now.
    >>
    >> Tried it on my daughter's laptop and have no trouble accessing the
    >> drive.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?

    >> Running windows XP professional with the usual additions.

    >> Many thanks
    >>
    >> Franco

    > From your mention of "My Computer", my guess is that you are running
    > some version of Windows but you never bothered to mention WHICH version.

    Wrong. He states quite clearly XP professonal. See between "=" above.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Apr 25, 2009
  6. Franco Proctor

    VanguardLH Guest

    chuckcar wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >
    >> Franco Proctor wrote:
    >>> Tried it on my daughter's laptop and have no trouble accessing the
    >>> drive.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Running windows XP professional with the usual additions.

    >> From your mention of "My Computer", my guess is that you are running
    >> some version of Windows but you never bothered to mention WHICH version.

    > Wrong. He states quite clearly XP professonal. See between "=" above.

    Odd but part of his post didn't appear in my retrieved copy. The last
    line was "Tried on my daughter's laptop ...". I cleared the newsgroup
    (deleted all posts) and retrieved them all again whereupon the full
    article showed up. Shit happens. Today it landed on my face.

    VanguardLH, Apr 25, 2009
  7. Franco Proctor

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 13:28:44 -0500, VanguardLH <> wrote:

    >Odd but part of his post didn't appear in my retrieved copy. The last
    >line was "Tried on my daughter's laptop ...". I cleared the newsgroup
    >(deleted all posts) and retrieved them all again whereupon the full
    >article showed up. Shit happens. Today it landed on my face.

    Don't worry, you're nowhere near the level of chuckcar. :)

    Evan Platt, Apr 25, 2009
  8. Franco Proctor

    Tony Guest

    Chuck just answer the initial question you dick. Are you going to tell him to
    "flesh the bios"?

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city