Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Senturon, Oct 1, 2004.

  1. Senturon

    Senturon Guest

    I know this is very vaigue....and if you need to know more information to
    solve or answer this problem please email me at
    senturontemp-at-charter-dot-net. I am running XP service pack 2, up to date
    trend-micro internet security -PC-Cillin- (firewall, AV), and AVG free
    edition. I am fairly knowledgeable with computer security but i am
    certainly no expert.

    My problem is that my conversations (particularly AIM and MSN messenger) i
    believe have been falling into someone else's hands. I know that by no
    means is any system completely secure, but it is quite frustrating and was
    curious if there was any way to determine if the 'stealing' is being done
    from my computer, or from my friends (with whom the conversations took
    place) who has a similar set-up as i do. More importantly i need to be able
    to stop it.

    I know the usual comment is to call the police, which i would do if i had
    hard evidence that in fact this person has stolen conversations of mine but
    i only have the remarks from my friend, which are quite obvious that they
    have been taken. I know this sounds like every corny post, but i'm simply
    at a loss for words and could really use some help. Any help or remarks
    would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you
    ~Senturon
    Senturon, Oct 1, 2004

  2. Senturon

    johns Guest

    AIM and MSN ??? You about deserve it. What I fail
    to understand is why so many people use that bullshit.
    You are hanging out in a slimpit. What do you expect?

    johns
    johns, Oct 1, 2004

  3. "Senturon" <senturontemp-at-charter-dot-net> wrote in message
    > I know this is very vaigue....and if you need to know more information to
    > solve or answer this problem please email me at
    > senturontemp-at-charter-dot-net. I am running XP service pack 2, up to

    date
    > trend-micro internet security -PC-Cillin- (firewall, AV), and AVG free
    > edition. I am fairly knowledgeable with computer security but i am
    > certainly no expert.
    >
    > My problem is that my conversations (particularly AIM and MSN messenger) i
    > believe have been falling into someone else's hands. I know that by no
    > means is any system completely secure, but it is quite frustrating and was
    > curious if there was any way to determine if the 'stealing' is being done
    > from my computer, or from my friends (with whom the conversations took
    > place) who has a similar set-up as i do. More importantly i need to be

    able
    > to stop it.
    >
    > I know the usual comment is to call the police, which i would do if i had
    > hard evidence that in fact this person has stolen conversations of mine

    but
    > i only have the remarks from my friend, which are quite obvious that they
    > have been taken. I know this sounds like every corny post, but i'm simply
    > at a loss for words and could really use some help. Any help or remarks
    > would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you
    > ~Senturon

    Open up a CMD prompt, type "netstat -a". Look for established connections.
    Verify what those are. Open up task manager. Look at the running
    processes. Verify what those are. Type some odd combination of words into
    MSN. Then do an advanced Search for them, to find those words as text in
    all documents.

    Why do you think someone else is reading your conversations? You do realize
    that these can be logged by the MSN/AIM programs themselves? And that
    anyone on the other end of the conversation has every right to save that
    info?

    Rick
    Richard S. Westmoreland, Oct 1, 2004
  4. In article <>, on Thu, 30 Sep 2004 23:28:56 -0400, "Senturon"
    <senturontemp-at-charter-dot-net> wrote:

    | I know this is very vaigue....and if you need to know more information to
    | solve or answer this problem please email me at
    | senturontemp-at-charter-dot-net. I am running XP service pack 2, up to date
    | trend-micro internet security -PC-Cillin- (firewall, AV), and AVG free
    | edition. I am fairly knowledgeable with computer security but i am
    | certainly no expert.
    |
    | My problem is that my conversations (particularly AIM and MSN messenger) i
    | believe have been falling into someone else's hands. I know that by no
    | means is any system completely secure, but it is quite frustrating and was
    | curious if there was any way to determine if the 'stealing' is being done
    | from my computer, or from my friends (with whom the conversations took
    | place) who has a similar set-up as i do. More importantly i need to be able
    | to stop it.
    |
    | I know the usual comment is to call the police, which i would do if i had
    | hard evidence that in fact this person has stolen conversations of mine but
    | i only have the remarks from my friend, which are quite obvious that they
    | have been taken. I know this sounds like every corny post, but i'm simply
    | at a loss for words and could really use some help. Any help or remarks
    | would be greatly appreciated.

    Zonealarm <http://www.zonelabs.com> has IM security which will encrypt
    MSN conversations provided both ends of the conversation have it enabled:

    "Zone Labs security software protects you by applying restrictions to instant
    messaging software, filtering spam, and encrypting Instant Message traffic."

    MessengerPlus! <http://www.msgplus.net/> allows logs of conversations to be
    encrypted:

    "Messenger Plus! ... for permanent privacy, it can encrypt all your logs so that
    only you can read your previous chats."

    <davidp />

    --
    David Postill