Problem: XP Home Logon Names Vanish - Cant Logon

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Graham, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. Graham

    Graham Guest

    Hey peeps

    Swift responses to this post are much appreciated - Im going to help someone
    (at about 4pm GMT) with their computer that is behaving like this and
    formatting is really not on option :(

    Basically when the laptop boots (its a hp is all i know atm) it hangs on the
    windows login screen, the XP logo is an inch or two from the right border of
    the screen - where it would be normally if names were listed in what is a
    blank (blue) space. Im guessing corrupt registry / registry HDD sectors. Any
    idea how I can fix this problem if it is the case? It gets worse btw... her
    OS is not in english so I need to know which Option says "command prompt
    only" (i.e. the Xth option down when you press F5/8?).

    Her laptop is still under warranty and she has a license key etc. But the
    help desk are just gonna say "Insert the system restore disk" which the
    manual says includes a (partition) format :(

    And no... its not a customer... its my gf lmao.

    Graham, Jan 24, 2004