    the network is available and then try again)
    I never needed to a have a disk before at I did back it up and that was no
    help. I run in. XP If you need more please let me know
    detap, Jun 8, 2009

  2. detap

    VanguardLH Guest

    detap wrote:

    > Hi I have a Microsoft Excel that I made in to my phone book
    > but lately I get this Problem with shortcut pop up
    > that read (The drive or Network connection that the shortcut phone book
    > refers to is unavailable. make sure that the disk is properly inserted or
    > the network is available and then try again)
    > I never needed to a have a disk before at I did back it up and that was no
    > help. I run in. XP If you need more please let me know

    So where is the .xls file stored? Hard disk (internal), USB hard drive
    (external), USB thumb drive (flash drive), floppy, CD/DVD, network drive
    (mapped or via UNC), where?
    VanguardLH, Jun 8, 2009

  3. detap

    Mike Easter Guest

    detap wrote:
    > Hi I have a Microsoft Excel that I made in to my phone book
    > but lately I get this Problem with shortcut pop up
    > that read (The drive or Network connection that the shortcut phone

    book
    > refers to is unavailable. make sure that the disk is properly inserted
    > or the network is available and then try again)

    Right click the shortcut. Use the menu item Properties to find out its
    path in the Target field and you can use the 'Find Target' tool to help
    you see the location of the file in a windows explorer.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 8, 2009
  4. detap

    detap Guest

    file is stored on the Hard disk (internal), and the shortcut is on the desk
    top

    detap, Jun 9, 2009
  5. detap

    Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote:

    >detap wrote:
    >> Hi I have a Microsoft Excel that I made in to my phone book
    >> but lately I get this Problem with shortcut pop up
    >> that read (The drive or Network connection that the shortcut phone

    >book
    >> refers to is unavailable. make sure that the disk is properly inserted
    >> or the network is available and then try again)

    >Right click the shortcut. Use the menu item Properties to find out its
    >path in the Target field and you can use the 'Find Target' tool to help
    >you see the location of the file in a windows explorer.

    Right, and if you were to copy the target (.xls?) in the RUN command
    WInKey+R it will give you the proper path, just copy and paste it into
    your shortcut.
    --

    The Pirates received more votes from those under 30 than
    any other party in the European elections yesterday.
  6. detap

    detap Guest

    tried deleting it an creating a new one it didn't work

    detap, Jun 9, 2009
  7. detap

    detap Guest

    tried right click properties but when tiring to click on general I get the
    same pop up and the same thing happens when clicking find target

    detap, Jun 9, 2009
  8. detap

    Mike Easter Guest

    detap wrote:
    > tried right click properties but when tiring to click on general I get
    > the same pop up and the same thing happens when clicking find target

    When you post on top like that your remarks are not in conversational
    order and they have no context so what you say lacks context and thus
    lacks meaning.

    A conversation looks like this:

    detap wrote:

    >>> Right click the shortcut. Use the menu item Properties to find out
    >>> its path in the Target field and you can use the 'Find Target' tool
    >>> to help you see the location of the file in a windows explorer.

    > tried right click properties but when tiring to click on general I get
    > the same pop up

    What does the tab 'Shortcut' say in the field called 'Target'?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 9, 2009
  9. detap

    VanguardLH Guest

    detap wrote:

    > "VanguardLH" wrote ...
    >>
    >> detap wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi I have a Microsoft Excel that I made in to my phone book but
    >>> lately I get this Problem with shortcut pop up that read (The drive
    >>> or Network connection that the shortcut phone book refers to is
    >>> unavailable. make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the
    >>> network is available and then try again) I never needed to a have a
    >>> disk before at I did back it up and that was no help. I run in. XP

    >> So where is the .xls file stored? Hard disk (internal), USB hard
    >> drive (external), USB thumb drive (flash drive), floppy, CD/DVD,
    >> network drive (mapped or via UNC), where?

    > file is stored on the Hard disk (internal), and the shortcut is on
    > the desk top

    When using Windows Explorer to find the file (listed as the Target of
    the shortcut), what happens when you double-click on that file to open
    it (without using a shortcut)?
    VanguardLH, Jun 9, 2009
  10. detap

    detap Guest

    the same thing happens when clicking on target ""pop up that read (The drive

    detap, Jun 10, 2009
  11. detap

    detap Guest

    this what happens I click on shortcut after deleting and making a new
    one ---- I get the same pop up that read (The drive

    detap, Jun 10, 2009
  12. detap

    Mike Easter Guest

    detap wrote:
    > this what happens

    How to reply to a message with OE Outlook Express.

    -1- Be sure and read 100% of the previous message before you hit the
    reply button.
    -2- After you have read all of the previous message, before you hit
    reply, think about exactly which words you are going to reply to
    -3- Hit reply -Do NOT start typing
    -4- Before you type anything, you must prepare a context for your reply
    message
    -5- Select all of the lines of the previous message to which you are NOT
    going to reply and delete them
    -6- In doing so, 'study' - reflect on - the exact words of the previous
    message to which you ARE going to reply and which you are not deleting
    -7- In so studying the few remaining words or line, you are preparing
    yourself to answer exactly those words with your own words which are
    directed precisely and responsively at the words you are answering
    -8- Skip an empty line just under the few remaining words or line you are
    going to answer.
    -9- Type your own words which will be just under that empty line which is
    just under only the words you are answering
    -10- That is called context and 'conversational style'
    -11- Click 'send'

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 10, 2009
  13. detap

    VanguardLH Guest

    detap wrote:

    > "VanguardLH" wrote ...
    >>
    >> detap wrote:
    >>
    >>> "VanguardLH" wrote ...

    >>> file is stored on the Hard disk (internal), and the shortcut is on
    >>> the desk top

    >> When using Windows Explorer to find the file (listed as the Target of
    >> the shortcut), what happens when you double-click on that file to open
    >> it (without using a shortcut)?

    > the same thing happens when clicking on target

    I said click on the *file*, not the shortcut. First you'll actually
    have to find the .xls file.
    VanguardLH, Jun 10, 2009
  14. detap

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 12:07:09 -0500, VanguardLH <> wrote:

    >I said click on the *file*, not the shortcut. First you'll actually
    >have to find the .xls file.

    Good luck with that.. Read some of my prior threads trying to help
    detap.
    Evan Platt, Jun 10, 2009
  15. detap

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:11:50 -0500, Lookout <>
    wrote:

    >I believe we have a PEBKAC problem here

    100% correct. :)
    Evan Platt, Jun 10, 2009
  16. detap

    detap Guest

    No the problem is platt can't find a solution to a problem and blames every
    one else for his misgivings

    detap, Jun 11, 2009
  17. detap

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 05:34:07 -0600, "detap" <> wrote:

    >No the problem is platt can't find a solution to a problem and blames every
    >one else for his misgivings

    No, the problem is detap can't answer simple questions given by people
    trying to help him / her / it.
    Evan Platt, Jun 11, 2009
  18. detap

    Mike Easter Guest

    detap wrote:
    > No the problem is platt can't find a solution to a problem and blames
    > every one else for his misgivings

    *You* are the one who can't read or answer or communicate effectively.

    You don't comprehend/ see/ read/ what is posted to you.

    You don't answer/ reply/ respond in a manner which indicates you
    comprehended/read what was posted.

    You don't comply/ understand/ cooperate with communicating in an orderly
    effective manner.

    All of that is aggravated by your top posting style which interfere's
    with your/ such a poster's/ ability to read comprehensively and answer
    responsively.

    The result is, even after all this attempted conversation, you still
    can't even do a simple little thing like finding your file -- even with
    help and guidance from others and yet you want to blame someone else for
    your own incompetence -- which not only extends to your inability to find
    a file in your own directories/folders, but also includes being able to
    communicate effectively in a newsgroup.

    Examples:

    > Right click the shortcut. Use the menu item Properties to find out its
    > path in the Target field

    > What does the tab 'Shortcut' say in the field called 'Target'?

    In all of your top posting, you always fail to find those words and
    respond in an empty line just below them.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 11, 2009
  19. detap

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 05:34:07 -0600, "detap" <> wrote:

    >No the problem is platt can't find a solution to a problem and blames every
    >one else for his misgivings

    Don't even get me started. Let's try one of your original questions:

    >most every time I log on to the internet my srever conection status
    >activety stops sending and receiving Bytes. my OS is window xp
    >proffenal I have cleaned up and tuned the computer but I still this
    >will happen can someone help me thanks [[pat]]

    I asked you to clarify a few things. You post the same exact question
    a few days later, and when I tell you to go back, read and answer the
    questions posed of you when you last asked, you said

    >Yes its the same problem and I did what was you suggested and it
    >didn't work so I'm back for more suggestions if there is any new one

    Only problem was no one could really 'suggest' anything based on your
    complete inability to describe the problem, or answer simple questions
    posed upon you.

    Then, you posted your "unable to get online with modem" question about
    5 times.

    Then, you posted a question about 'scanning my hard drive for error'
    and some vague message you get.

    BTS asked you some very simple questions: What operating system, how
    much memory, what program you are using to scan, etc.

    You then post a 500 line - YES, 500 line - post from some program you
    ran called "System Security Status CIS Benchmark Score" which would
    have taken someone 30 minutes to read entirely through to only have a
    partial answer to the very simple questions asked of you.

    And that's just getting started.

    So, like I said, best of luck to anyone attempting to help you.
    They'll need more patience than a Buddha Priest..
    Evan Platt, Jun 11, 2009
  20. detap

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote: