problem with WPA - please help

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Cyber, Apr 20, 2005.

  1. Cyber

    Cyber Guest

    Cyber, Apr 20, 2005

  2. Are you using the Microsoft Wireless client or the Dlink software to
    establish your wireless connection settings?

    --
    Jerry Peterson
    Windows Network Services - Wireless

    "Cyber" <> wrote in message

    Jerry Peterson[MSFT], Apr 20, 2005

  3. Cyber

    Cyber Guest

    Cyber, Apr 21, 2005
  4. Cyber

    Cyber Guest

    I keep triying to remembre about your question because I'm not at
    home at the moment but I'm quite sure about this:

    First of all, I used the DLink web based configuration program to
    establish WPA encription and passphrase settings on the acces point.
    The conection with the access point was lost after that, as I
    expected.

    Then I entered the same configuration in the Windows Wireless client
    because in DLink Airplus soft there was not the option to set WPA
    encryption and only WEP keys were accepted ( not very sure about this
    but I think so)
    All worked fine until the next reboot (no problem if close and
    reopen session in Windows)

    After observing the problem reproduces every time I reboot the
    computer, I decided to change to WEP again and went back to the DLink
    soft to configure the wireless settings. After that, no problem but
    also no WPA I would prefer to be using WPA because WEP can be broken
    too easily.

    Thanks again for your attention.

    mensaje news:...

    Cyber, Apr 21, 2005
  5. Do you have the latest drivers for your D-Link adapters? The latest ones
    (v3.06_1007) should have WPA capability. If they do not, then your adapters
    may simply not be capable of WPA encryption. This however seems unlikely as
    the D-Link AP, in the same series, is WPA capable. If the latest adapter
    drivers do not have WPA you should telephone D-Link and ask the question -
    why not?

    Mike Bernstein

    Mike Bernstein, Apr 21, 2005
  6. Cyber

    Cyber Guest

    So, I understand that I might use the DLink software instead of
    Windows wireless client to enable WPA encryption. I'm going to look
    again if this is posible (I downloaded the latest drivers from DLink
    yesterday) and if it's not, I'll try to contact Dlink support
    service and ask them what is wrong.

    Thanks again for your help.

    "Mike Bernstein" <> escribió en
    el mensaje news:%...

    Cyber, Apr 21, 2005
  7. Cyber

    TW Guest

    The D-Link DWL 520+ is an 802.11b compliant card and thus can't use WPA. WPA
    can be use with 802.11g and later compliant devices. To use WPA you will
    need to use a different and newer card.
    Go to Dlink.com and do some research on the different cards available and
    what they are capable of.
    Do a Google.com search on 802.11b and 802.11g
    Read and try to understand the 802.11 standard, regarding WPA.

    TW, Apr 22, 2005
  8. That is theoretically correct. It does not therefore make sense that the
    DWL900AP has a WPA capability when it too is 802.11b only.

    Mike Bernstein, Apr 22, 2005
  9. Cyber

    Cyber Guest

    Thanks everybody for your opinions.

    The only think I can't understand is why the WPA encryption WORKS
    when I configure the windows XP SP2 wireless client if you say that
    the wireless adaptor doesn't have this capability. It works until I
    reboot the computer and then it keeps on working if I enter the
    passphrase again after rebooting. I don't understand either why the
    acces point of the same series has WPA capability and the adaptors
    don't.

    So, I'm not obviously an expert but this not make sense. If something
    doesn't work, it just doesn't.

    I'm not having an answer form D-Link at the moment. I'll tell you
    when I had.

    Some more ideas? Thanks for all.

    "Mike Bernstein" <> escribió en
    el mensaje news:...

    Cyber, Apr 22, 2005
  10. Have you try only wpa and not wep configuration.
    At my place its works not together.
    I disable the wep function on the router and the wpa works.

    =?Utf-8?B?R2VyYXJkIEhlcm1hbnM=?=, Apr 23, 2005
  11. Cyber

    Cyber Guest

    Re: problem with WPA - please help - The answer from D-Link tecnical service

    Here is the answer form D-Link to my request:

    Estimado usuario,

    en los dispositivos que Vd. nos indica, el cifrado WPA-PSK no está
    soportado directamente por el driver/apliación, al tratarse de modelos
    antiguos, por lo que deberá usar el gestor de Windows XP. Para
    configurar dicho gestor, deberá contactar con el soporte técnico del
    Sistema Operativo.

    So, the WPA is supported by the DWL 520+ wireless adaptor but not trough the
    D-Link software/driver. They suggest me to use the windows client and then
    all go to the begining again. How to configure the windows client in order
    not to introduce the passphrase every time the computer reboots.

    Thanks everybody for the atention.

    mensaje news:...

    Cyber, Apr 25, 2005
  12. Re: problem with WPA - please help - The answer from D-Link tecnical service

    Assuming that you have a properly configured access point, the passphrase
    will be stored once a single successful authentication takes place. This
    means that encryption must succeed before the profile will be considered
    permanent. If the passphrase on the access point and the wireless client do
    not match, encyption negotiation will fail, and you may be prompted for the
    correct passphrase. This all depends upon your access point's
    implementation of the WPA specification.

    START > Help and Support
    Search the help files with the string: "Configuring wireless network client
    computers" to get a step by step orientation on using the Microsoft Wireless
    client.

    Jerry Peterson[MSFT], May 2, 2005