    Anybody got any ideas?

    Cheers
    Marty

    Martin Baxter, Jun 17, 2007

  2. Martin Baxter

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 10:50:13 -0400, Martin Baxter
    <> wrote:

    >I have installed a wirless linksys card in a system running XP Home, the
    >system "sees" the card, reports good signal but no browser can "find"
    >the internet. Mail and Newwgroups work fine, so does Windows Auto
    >update, so the hardware seems to be working just fine.

    You have a firewall? Disable it.

    Look in your browser to make sure no proxy is configured (IE - Tools,
    Internet Connections, LAN Settings, uncheck "Use Proxy Server")

    Evan Platt, Jun 17, 2007

  3. Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 10:50:13 -0400, Martin Baxter
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I have installed a wirless linksys card in a system running XP Home, the
    >>system "sees" the card, reports good signal but no browser can "find"
    >>the internet. Mail and Newwgroups work fine, so does Windows Auto
    >>update, so the hardware seems to be working just fine.

    > You have a firewall? Disable it.
    >
    > Look in your browser to make sure no proxy is configured (IE - Tools,
    > Internet Connections, LAN Settings, uncheck "Use Proxy Server")

    No firewall, disable firewall in router and XP machine. No proxy server
    enabled. BTW the system is a Sony VIAO tower, 2.66 Ghz. Have tried
    bloth Linksys and D-Link cards, same problem also tried two different
    routers, same problem. Have tried IE, Netscape 4.7 (I know ancient)
    Firefox 2.0.0.4, all have the same problem, yet Netscape mail and
    newsreader work!

    Cheers
    Marty

    Martin Baxter, Jun 17, 2007
  4. Martin Baxter

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-06-17, Martin Baxter <> wrote:
    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 10:50:13 -0400, Martin Baxter
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have installed a wirless linksys card in a system running XP Home, the
    >>>system "sees" the card, reports good signal but no browser can "find"
    >>>the internet. Mail and Newwgroups work fine, so does Windows Auto
    >>>update, so the hardware seems to be working just fine.

    >> You have a firewall? Disable it.
    >>
    >> Look in your browser to make sure no proxy is configured (IE - Tools,
    >> Internet Connections, LAN Settings, uncheck "Use Proxy Server")

    > No firewall, disable firewall in router and XP machine. No proxy server
    > enabled. BTW the system is a Sony VIAO tower, 2.66 Ghz. Have tried
    > bloth Linksys and D-Link cards, same problem also tried two different
    > routers, same problem. Have tried IE, Netscape 4.7 (I know ancient)
    > Firefox 2.0.0.4, all have the same problem, yet Netscape mail and
    > newsreader work!
    >
    > Cheers
    > Marty

    Does your ISP require you to use a proxy web server?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jun 17, 2007
  5. Martin Baxter wrote:
    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 10:50:13 -0400, Martin Baxter
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> I have installed a wirless linksys card in a system running XP Home, the
    >>> system "sees" the card, reports good signal but no browser can "find"
    >>> the internet. Mail and Newwgroups work fine, so does Windows Auto
    >>> update, so the hardware seems to be working just fine.

    >> You have a firewall? Disable it.
    >>
    >> Look in your browser to make sure no proxy is configured (IE - Tools,
    >> Internet Connections, LAN Settings, uncheck "Use Proxy Server")

    > No firewall, disable firewall in router and XP machine. No proxy server
    > enabled. BTW the system is a Sony VIAO tower, 2.66 Ghz. Have tried
    > bloth Linksys and D-Link cards, same problem also tried two different
    > routers, same problem. Have tried IE, Netscape 4.7 (I know ancient)
    > Firefox 2.0.0.4, all have the same problem, yet Netscape mail and
    > newsreader work!

    Have you tried one of the TCP stack utilities?
    http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 17, 2007