Problem with wireless connection - cannot get client ip, retain settings

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by msabatini2001@yahoo.com, Aug 15, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I have a problem with my wireless connection. I am running XP sp2 with
    a Belkin wireless card/adapter and a Belkin 11g router.

    My network connection stopped working. I called my cable provider.
    They said signal ok until the modem. I called Belkin. They walked me
    thru the following procedure
    - On Network Connections window, I did not see the Wireless Connection
    tab.
    - Executed services.msc, then restarted wzcsvc.
    - Now saw the Wireless Conn tab. Select 'Use Windows to manage my
    wireless networking... ' checkbox. Click Ok.
    - Now saw the connection active.
    - Was able to get online.

    But if I restart or shutdown Windows, I lose the above settings. I
    have to go thru this every time I log in.
    >From several online searches, and suggestions I tried everything.

    e.g.
    netsh in ip reset
    ipconfig /renew all

    Nothing seems to work.

    One thing I noticed is that the dns server/router is not identifying
    my desktop. When I double-click on Wireless Network Connection icon.
    Then select Details. I see that the IP Address which should follow my
    router's format, actually is something like 254.132....

    Also, before I had this problem, I did not choose windows to manage my
    networking. Now it does not work without doing this.

    I have selected 'Obtain IP address auto...', 'Obtain DNS
    server...auto..'. I tried with entering my static client ip addr. This
    works, but does not retain connection after a reboot.

    Per an online suggestion, even put a bat file during startup that
    tries to start up wzcsvc. No change.

    Change settings on my router?

    Any ideas at all? Do I need to reload driver for my network card?
    extreme case reload XP?
    Thanks
    Mark Sabatini

    , Aug 15, 2007