Problem with wireless ad hoc networking

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by aku, Nov 8, 2008.

  1. aku

    aku Guest

    Hi,

    I've been trying to set up a ad hoc wireless network between two laptops but
    just can't seem to get through. I have followed the article by Barb Bowman
    (and few other articles as well). My second laptop just doesn't detect the
    wireless network created by the host !

    I have a home laptop (HP Pavilion, Media Center XP, SP2) which is connected
    to the internet via an ethernet cable. I used to have a wireless router, but
    I don't have it now. My laptop's wireless adapter worked fine with that.

    I have an office laptop(Dell Latitude, XP Pro, SP2) as well which I am
    trying to configure as the client. This laptop connects easily to the
    wireless network at my office. I have browsed the net and it seems that
    everyone who has tried the ad hoc wireless network, at least gets past the
    stage where the client laptop detects the host wireless network. I have tried
    to follow everything mentioned in the articles - which includes configuring
    both the laptops in ad hoc mode and using Windows to manage wireless networks.

    When I setup the ad hoc wireless network on the host computer, it shows the
    network in the available networks list. But my other laptop just wouldn't
    detect it. So i'm basically stuck at the first stage itself. My ultimate aim
    is to share the internet connection without using a router.

    Any ideas what could be the problem ?

    Thanks.

    aku, Nov 8, 2008

  2. aku

    Pavel A. Guest

    Hi,

    Since this is your office laptop, your IT administrator could
    disable ad-hoc connections on it.
    Anyway, a router gives better connection.

    --PA

    Pavel A., Nov 8, 2008

  3. aku

    aku Guest

    I am suspecting that.
    Is there any way that I could know for sure?
    Is there some registry entry associated with that? I does show the option of
    connecting to/creating an ad hoc network though.

    aku, Nov 9, 2008
  4. Hi
    If you try to play around you would have trouble connecting to the Office
    Network and the IT people would see that you are playing around with the
    System. I do not know what your work Network policy is, but in many places
    playing with Network related setting of the office hardware can lead to
    losing the Job.
    Why? Because unbeknown to you, whatever you think you are doing can end up
    comprising the office's Network Security
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 10, 2008