    BEFSW1154 can agree upon?

    -Richard M. Hartman

    186,000 mi/sec: not just a good idea, it's the LAW!
    Richard M. Hartman, Dec 28, 2005

  2. Richard M. Hartman

    Lem Guest

    "Richard M. Hartman" wrote:

    > I can not get the security options to work, and I don't really want an open
    > network. Can somebody tell me what security options both WinXP and the
    > BEFSW1154 can agree upon?
    >
    > -Richard M. Hartman
    >

    > 186,000 mi/sec: not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

    With SP2, Win XP can use WPA2. If you have been installing all of the MS
    patches/hotfixes as they come out, you probably already have it. If not,
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357/en-us

    As for your Linksys router, I assume that's an "S" not a "5" as the next to the
    last character. But there are many versions of the BEFW11S4 (I counted 6 on
    the Linksys documentation site, not including the 2 FrenchCanadian versions).
    Check your documentation (RTFM). And if the documentation for your particular
    model doesn't show that you have WPA2, check the documentation for the latest
    firmware -- Linksys may well have added this feature after you bought your
    router.
    Lem, Dec 28, 2005

  3. Yes, it's an "S" not a "5" ... that little label is hard to read in dim
    light ;-). It's ver 4, btw. I downloaded the latest firmware and although
    more encryption options were available, it still wouldn't cooperate with the
    laptop.

    Not sure what state this laptop is in though, I just got it. I do not even
    know if it's XP or XP sp 2 ... can you advise on how to check this out?

    Richard M. Hartman, Jan 2, 2006
  4. Richard M. Hartman

    lvon Guest

    XP Version check:
    right-click My Computer > Properties,
    or Control Panel > System,
    or Windows Key + Pause|Break,
    NOT useful: at the cmd prompt, type: ver
    (both XP SP1 and SP2 show v.5.1.2600)

    If you can connect to the 'net by bypassing the router with network
    cable, consider returning the Linksys and buy D-Link or NetGear. I've
    had too much trouble with wireless on Linksys, and they have not
    appeared to have improved with Cisco's aquisition of 'em.
    lvon, Jan 13, 2006