Problem with Windows Media Player 10

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by kozakid, Aug 5, 2005.

  1. kozakid

    kozakid Guest

    Windows Media Player 10: BIG PROBLEM!!!!!

    I'm having a major problem with Windows Media Player 10. I cannot get it to
    work at all! I first noticed it at Collectables website where I had a choice
    of either WMP or RealPlayer (RP) to play music clips. I could get RP to
    work, but not WMP. I kept getting the same error message over and over:

    Windows Media Player has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
    sorry for the inconvenience.

    I have reset my default file associations from WMP to RP and back to WMP. I
    have shut down and restarted my PC. I have used System Restore twice. I even
    reinstalled WMP 10. So far nothing has worked. Out of desperation, I tried a
    "solution" I found on the Web. The instructions were to click Start, then
    Run, then type the following command: regsvr32
    C:\Windows\system32\wmpui.dll, and then click OK. I received a "Successful!"
    signal after doing this, but it didn't work either.

    Can someone please tell me how to make Windows Media Player 10 work again?
    kozakid, Aug 5, 2005

  2. kozakid

    SgtMinor Guest

    kozakid wrote:
    > Windows Media Player 10: BIG PROBLEM!!!!!

    > I'm having a major problem with Windows Media Player 10. I cannot get it to
    > work at all! I first noticed it at Collectables website where I had a choice
    > of either WMP or RealPlayer (RP) to play music clips. I could get RP to
    > work, but not WMP. I kept getting the same error message over and over:
    >
    > Windows Media Player has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
    > sorry for the inconvenience.
    >
    > I have reset my default file associations from WMP to RP and back to WMP. I
    > have shut down and restarted my PC. I have used System Restore twice. I even
    > reinstalled WMP 10. So far nothing has worked. Out of desperation, I tried a
    > "solution" I found on the Web. The instructions were to click Start, then
    > Run, then type the following command: regsvr32
    > C:\Windows\system32\wmpui.dll, and then click OK. I received a "Successful!"
    > signal after doing this, but it didn't work either.
    >
    > Can someone please tell me how to make Windows Media Player 10 work again?

    "Error Message: Windows Media Player Has Encountered a Problem and Needs
    to Close"

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330332
    SgtMinor, Aug 5, 2005

  3. kozakid

    kozakid Guest

    Thanks for the suggestion, SgtMinor. Unfortunately after registering the
    correct Wmpui.dll file successfully, I then went back to WMP and the same
    problem occurred again. No matter which file I would click on, the same
    exact song would play again and again! Then the following box would appear:
    END PROGRAMS - WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER This program is not responding.

    I noticed that the MS article applies to WMP version 8.01, but I figured it
    would probably also apply to WMP 10. I have had some adware/malware
    problems very recently, so I'm wondering if that way be the source of my
    problem.

    Thanks again,
    kozakid

    kozakid, Aug 6, 2005
  4. kozakid

    SgtMinor Guest

    kozakid wrote:
    > Thanks for the suggestion, SgtMinor. Unfortunately after registering the
    > correct Wmpui.dll file successfully, I then went back to WMP and the same
    > problem occurred again. No matter which file I would click on, the same
    > exact song would play again and again! Then the following box would appear:
    > END PROGRAMS - WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER This program is not responding.
    >
    > I noticed that the MS article applies to WMP version 8.01, but I figured it
    > would probably also apply to WMP 10. I have had some adware/malware
    > problems very recently, so I'm wondering if that way be the source of my
    > problem.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > kozakid
    >

    > "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    >> kozakid wrote:
    >>> Windows Media Player 10: BIG PROBLEM!!!!!

    >>> I'm having a major problem with Windows Media Player 10. I cannot get it
    >>> to work at all! I first noticed it at Collectables website where I had a
    >>> choice of either WMP or RealPlayer (RP) to play music clips. I could get
    >>> RP to work, but not WMP. I kept getting the same error message over and
    >>> over:
    >>>
    >>> Windows Media Player has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
    >>> sorry for the inconvenience.
    >>>
    >>> I have reset my default file associations from WMP to RP and back to WMP.
    >>> I have shut down and restarted my PC. I have used System Restore twice. I
    >>> even reinstalled WMP 10. So far nothing has worked. Out of desperation, I
    >>> tried a "solution" I found on the Web. The instructions were to click
    >>> Start, then Run, then type the following command: regsvr32
    >>> C:\Windows\system32\wmpui.dll, and then click OK. I received a
    >>> "Successful!" signal after doing this, but it didn't work either.
    >>>
    >>> Can someone please tell me how to make Windows Media Player 10 work
    >>> again?

    >> "Error Message: Windows Media Player Has Encountered a Problem and Needs
    >> to Close"
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330332

    When you were on the Microsoft site, did you happen to come across these
    FAQs?

    "Windows Media Player FAQ"
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/player/faq.aspx
    SgtMinor, Aug 6, 2005
  5. kozakid

    kozakid Guest

    No, I must've missed the FAQs when I was at the site. Some of the topics
    look promising, so I'll read thru them carefully. Thank you for the link.

    In the meantime I've run "scannow" and that didn't help.

    kozakid, Aug 6, 2005