    by groupmanager.exe running continually. I can't even find groupmanager.exe
    on my laptop> Anybody else have this problem? And the solution is......?
    thanks rtm
    Robert, Jul 11, 2009

  2. Robert

    Jane C Guest

    Robert wrote:
    > I have an HP Pavilion tx2623ca laptop with Windows 7 (build 7229). The
    > problem is that the sound ("device disconnect") plays about once every 6
    > seconds and when I try to shut off the machine the screen informs me
    > that it is waiting for groupmanager.exe to discontinue. I think these
    > are the caused by groupmanager.exe running continually. I can't even
    > find groupmanager.exe on my laptop> Anybody else have this problem? And
    > the solution is......?
    > thanks rtm

    Bad news, I'm afraid. Your system is infected with a trojan:

    http://www.sophos.com/security/analyses/viruses-and-spyware/trojclickerfg.html

    Run a thorough scan with your antivirus program.

    Did this start immediately after installing or later? I'm wondering if
    you managed to get a compromised download - there have been issues with
    certain Windows 7 builds obtained via Torrent.

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2007-2009
    Jane C, Jul 11, 2009

  3. Robert

    Robert Guest

    Jane--thanks, but Sophos found nothing except some windows "volume system"
    files which it couldn't open (neither could I)! I'm currently doing a scan
    with Avast (13% done and still nothing). Any other ideas?
    rtm

    Robert, Jul 12, 2009
  4. Perhaps you should post your problem over @
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro

    As far as I can tell this is the 'official' forum for Windows 7 and I do
    see a lot of problems addressed by the MVPs there.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 12, 2009
  5. Also, have you downloaded the latest Realtek HD driver and installed it?

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 12, 2009
  6. Robert

    tsperling Guest

    It's tricky - I have built numerous PC's, but if something like this
    happened to my Notebook, and nothing obvious surfaced fast, I'm sure I would
    hand it over to someone else.

    In a possible Virus situation, and not knowing what it attacks and how,
    there isn't a lot a non-expert can do beyond scanning. If it is merely an
    inconvenience attack (making the machine irritating) the obvious rescue
    would be to re-install after wiping the HD completely. Making B/U after the
    fact will be useless, and scanning the installation disk is a must, of
    course. Possibly also the *.ISO from which the disk was burned.

    One other possible step could be to flash the BIOS, to make sure that the
    machine is clean, but there will remain other pieces of hardware that might
    have suffered and you wouldn't know for sure. It is a question blowing in
    the wind if HP would honor the warranty (with Win7 installed?) so perhaps
    you should look for an independent repair shop, they don't have to be
    horribly expensive.

    Before you start your investigation, though, make sure you unplug everything
    that the machine doesn't need to boot, and see if your trouble remains! And,
    something you said - you don't run more AV's on top of each other do you?

    Good luck!

    Tony. . .
    tsperling, Jul 12, 2009
  7. Robert

    Carlos Guest

    Robert,
    Press simultaneously Shift-Ctrl-Esc to bring up task manager.
    Go to the processes tab and look for groupmanager.exe process.
    Kill it but right clicking on it.
    Then do a thorough search of it throughout all your disk and delete the file.
    If the above suggestion doesn't work, donwload and install the freeware
    Autoruns.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
    Execute it and disable the offending program from loading at startup.
    Delete it after a reboot.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 13, 2009
  8. Robert

    Kue2 Guest

    Hi Jane
    Thanks for the link to d/ling & trying Sophos
    I like that it does not interfere with existing AV programs.
    It found a toolbar & a suspicious file on my computer.

    Kue2, Jul 13, 2009
  9. Robert

    Robert Guest

    The answer was to run an antivirus (Malwarebytes) which found and removed
    the malware and then upgrade the bios. The latter stopped the persistent
    "device disconnect" sound. Thanks again for all your help
    rtm

    Robert, Jul 16, 2009
  10. Robert

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Robert:
    Thank you for the update with the resolution to the problem. Have a
    great day.

    Dennis Pack
    Win-7 RC-x64.

    Dennis Pack, Jul 16, 2009