    My supplier says I should go back to Windows XP, as it is the Windows 64
    software problem.

    Can anyone help me here?

    =?Utf-8?B?U3Vuc2hpbmU=?=, Dec 18, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U3Vuc2hpbmU=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    For a starter, could you provide the stop codes you get when it crashes. Go
    to System Properties/advanced/startup, and make sure automatic restart is
    not checked. I am also curious about your statement of 'go back to XP'.
    How long were you running ok with XP. Windows x64 itself should not be the
    problem, but it is always possible that some other software you installed
    may not work properly with it. At least if you give the stop codes there is
    a good chance someone here will be able to start you in the right direction.

    John Barnes, Dec 18, 2005

  3. John,

    Sorry, I did not make myself clear. I bought a Brand new AMD PC from a local
    retailer and told him I wanted Windows 64 loaded on it. As I have had it back
    to him to fix to turning off problem, he advised I should not have asked for
    Windows 64, and now he is recommending I get rid of Windows 64 and load XP,
    so I will not have any further problems, as he is blaming Windoews 64.

    I think last time, he said it was the Windows 64 had a problem talking to
    the Thermolake software and interpreted that it was overheating and therefore
    shut down the PC. What happens, is the PC will start up, you enter your User
    id and password and it starts up fine. Sometimes after about 2 hours, the
    machine shuts down totally. To restart, you have to hit the restart switch ,
    it then starts up again and you enter your user-id and password and all is OK
    again. Ususally only happens 1 or twice per day, but is very frustrating.

    Is this a Windows 64 problem or the Thermolake box or what? The supplier
    just wants to sell me Windows xp to solve the problem.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3Vuc2hpbmU=?=, Dec 19, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?U3Vuc2hpbmU=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    The difference is - you don't get blue screens, just a shutdown, like you
    did it with the power button? Sounds like you have an incompetent supplier.
    Odds are great it will do the same with XP86. If you aren't getting blue
    screens, it sounds like a bad power supply to me. Most of the components
    are going to shut down with a stop code blue screen. What Thermolake
    software is even on the machine? I personally have never had a case or
    power supply that came with software. The type of software that would warn
    or shut off would come with the motherboard usually.

    John Barnes, Dec 19, 2005
  5. First : BOOT....goto SETUP Now is this motherboad WHAT?

    I have a AN8-SLI ABIT

    goto the Page that shows your TEMPS and see what you are getting!
    check the settings for the CPU temp if that one goes above the set temp the
    system WILL shutdown,set the BEEPER (on) and a temp that is a notch lower
    than the Kill temp! I had a note in mine that one should kill all AUTO
    functions on UGURU
    Auto control of fans with temp control mine is VERY cool,when I first
    started my System temp was higher than the CPU(grin) changing the fans around
    fixed that!

    Tell us more!

    Dennis

    =?Utf-8?B?Y29jb2tpd2k=?=, Dec 19, 2005
  6. The OS does not matter. An incompatible utility might. More likely a
    hardware issue and if so it would affect any operating system the same.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 19, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?U3Vuc2hpbmU=?=

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    "Sunshine" <> wrote in message
    >I purchased a new AMD 4000 + processor and had Windows 64 OS loaded.
    >
    > The machine worked fine for a while and then began to get blue screens and
    > so I would have to restart the computer.
    >
    > This then happened daily, so I took it back to my supplier, who said he
    > would have to re-load the software, because the Thermolake box, thought it
    > was overheating and shut down, so he wiped everything and reloaded.
    >
    > A week later and now the same thing again.
    >
    > My supplier says I should go back to Windows XP, as it is the Windows 64
    > software problem.
    >
    > Can anyone help me here?

    Your "supplier" is completely incompetent (and you have my permission to
    point him here to debate the issue with me). I would not ever do business
    with this idiot again. He is more dangerous than you can imagine. I
    encourage you to show him this post...hopefully he will be man enough to
    respond. He has no business building computers.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Dec 19, 2005
  8. > I think last time, he said it was the Windows 64 had a problem talking to
    > the Thermolake software and interpreted that it was overheating and
    > therefore
    > shut down the PC.

    I'd try removing that Thermolake software. Is it even 64-bit?

    Homer J. Simpson, Dec 20, 2005
  9. Sorry!

    Saying it is a AMD PC means NOTHING except having Win64 installed which
    rules out it being a XP system!(grin)

    You need to state:

    1 > is it : ABIT,MSI,whatever motherboard ? and CPU which one?

    2 > what kind of MEMORY and how much ?

    3 > What KIND of Power Supply? IS it AMD compatible ?

    4 > what kind of VIDEO CARD is in there?

    first: If it is a 64 bit system a STANDARD power supply will NOT pass muster!

    As the newer power supplies have some changes,some motherboards will
    take the older Main Plug,the new one has a 4pin removable end that adds more
    power to the Motherboard,and depending if it is a SLI power supply it will
    have a pair of plugs for the VIDEO cards(SLI has two) and one plug will have
    a converter cable that adds the 4pin plug for extra 12v power!

    a 300watt power supply will NOT work You MUST have at least 530watts for a
    dual Video system,500w for a single video....

    Be aware also that Windows 64 is NOT complete,there are limited DRIVERS,and
    programs to run native,not to mention the 32bit part as it uses 64 bit
    drivers also!

    ALL the add on's for IE 6 will not work...ADOBE pdf reader 7.1 will NOT
    install..I got version 5 working...JAVA..not 64bit version YET!Etc,etc

    ZONE ALARM no 64bit version....They are working on it...No date given!

    Creative labs have a driver and some new Utilities..BUG! I get white noise
    when running,should NOT be there at all!
    HP has driver's already included in 64,Samsung don't and if your printer is
    a NETWORKED printer,you need TWO drivers,one is the main one that would work
    if your computer was plugged in directly!! since it is on a Network,the PRINT
    SERVER kicks in and ask's for another DRIVER that don,t exist! So! I WOULD
    run XP and 64 in dual mode till you can upgrade to 64 as the drivers and
    programs become ready!

    I am thinking these people are DRAGGING their FEET as "VISTA 64" is supposed
    to come out in the spring of 06...TRY 07 ?acording to latest info I have,Win
    64 has been out since June.....So! Where is the BASE drivers and Programs???
    I,ve seen websites with VISTA drivers and NO 64 drivers ?

    Remember (Windows M) win 2000 based SOLID platform,,,Easy to use,lot's of
    DRIVERS, WILL be compatible to XP when released..Riiiight!

    Windows 64 Based on Server 2003 SOLID platform....

    do it sound like you heard this before

    Are DRIVERS compatible to VISTA ???

    When will they ever learn? No wonder they(people that make drivers and
    programs)

    are dragging feet, They got zapped before,a little gun shy hmmmm!

    If VISTA is NOT backward compatible to win 64 Drivers I hope that MS

    WILL give us owners of 64 a FREE copy...FAT chance(grin)

    Dennis

    =?Utf-8?B?Y29jb2tpd2k=?=, Dec 21, 2005