Problem with website buttons

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by lisle45@googlemail.com, Aug 3, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I'm having some problems using web sites where graphic buttons are
    used to send information to the server. This started with Yahoo
    answers. I can access the site, log in, view questions but if I click
    on one of the graphic "answer this question" buttons the page takes
    about 2 minutes where it tells me it is "waiting" for a response then
    finally gives up and I get the standard "IE cannot display this web
    page" message.

    If I right click on the button and select the "open in new tab" or
    "open in new window" option the page renders properly. It is not
    possible to do this with the "submit" button to either actually
    answer a question or post a new one though.

    I thought this was a problem only with the Yahoo site as I have not
    problems with any other web site. Today I have tried to sign up to
    TalkTalk and they use graphic buttons with a bit of Javascript.
    Clicking on the button gives the same "waiting" message along the
    bottom of the browser window. Apparently it's waiting for a servlet to
    do its thing. Same thing happens, after a few mintues IE tells me it
    can't display the page.

    I'm using IE7 on WinXP. I've also tried the same sites in Firefox and
    it does exactly the same thing. I've tried turning off friendly
    messages but I don't get anything more than the standard 'can't
    display' message.

    Can't see anything in my router settings that would cause some sort of
    security block to these actions but there may be a setting that I am
    not familiar with that would cause this problem.

    Any suggestions gratefully received. (I bet this is something so
    obvious that I will be kicking myself for the rest of the day!)

    , Aug 3, 2007

  2. why? Guest

    On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 05:53:13 -0700, lisle45@ wrote:

    >I'm having some problems using web sites where graphic buttons are

    No URLs, means guessing where to look is a bit hit and miss.

    >used to send information to the server. This started with Yahoo
    >answers. I can access the site, log in, view questions but if I click
    >on one of the graphic "answer this question" buttons the page takes
    >about 2 minutes where it tells me it is "waiting" for a response then
    >finally gives up and I get the standard "IE cannot display this web
    >page" message.

    Firewall / AV blocking JavaScript?

    <snip>
    >TalkTalk and they use graphic buttons with a bit of Javascript.

    <snip>

    >Can't see anything in my router settings that would cause some sort of

    Usually a make/model in case it's got some content filtering? Can't see
    the manual. Although you think it's not that anyway and you haven't an
    problem with JS

    >security block to these actions but there may be a setting that I am
    >not familiar with that would cause this problem.
    >
    >Any suggestions gratefully received. (I bet this is something so
    >obvious that I will be kicking myself for the rest of the day!)

    Me

    why?, Aug 3, 2007