    e-mailed D-Link ,D-Link emailed me back, but i have already tried everythin
    they said in there email...still cant get into the web configuration...i have
    disabled my firewall and anti-virus

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueQ==?=, Feb 15, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueQ==?=

    Lem Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > hi ,can anyone please help me..
    > i have a D-Link wireless router DSL-G604T , when i first installed the
    > router ,i could get into the web configuration ,by typing
    > http://192.168.1.1,but when my system crashed ,i had to system restore
    > windows xp, now i cant get back into the web configuration for the router ,i
    > e-mailed D-Link ,D-Link emailed me back, but i have already tried everythin
    > they said in there email...still cant get into the web configuration...i have
    > disabled my firewall and anti-virus

    Well, because I don't know everything D-Link said in thier email -- or what you
    actually have tried -- the obvious way to deal with this is:

    1. Reset the DSL-G604T to the factory defaults by disconnecting everything from
    it, turn the power on, and press and hold the reset button for at least 7
    seconds. I'd hold that button in for a bit longer, myself.

    2. Connect an ethernet cable between your computer and one of the 4 ethernet
    ports on the modem/router (not the top port, which goes to your DSL line).

    3. Ensure that your computer is properly set to obtain an IP address from the
    router:

    a. In Network Connections, right-click on LAN connection, select
    Properties, then highlight the TCP/IP protocol entry and click "Properties." If
    on the LAN connection Properties "General" tab you don't see "Client for
    Microsoft Networks" "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Netoworks" "QoS
    Packet Scheduler" or "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" then post back with details of
    what you do or don't have.

    b. On the "General" tab for Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties, make
    sure the radio button for "Obtain an IP address automatically" is selected.

    4. Start Internet Explorer. Click on Tools > Internet Options, then click on
    the "Connections" tab, then click on the "LAN Settings" button. Make sure that
    the box next to "use a proxy server" is UNchecked.

    5. Type http://192.168.1.1 in the address box and click Go. You should get the
    login screen. The default User name is admin and the default password is admin

    If you you don't get to the router/modem's configuration managment pages, post
    back detailing exactly what you did and exactly what happened. You didn't say
    why your system "crashed" necessitating a "system restore" of XP. If your system
    crashed because of, say, a power surge, it's entirely possible that your
    DSL-G604T was fried.

    Lem, Feb 15, 2006

  3. "Lem" wrote:

    > Tony wrote:
    >
    > > hi ,can anyone please help me..
    > > i have a D-Link wireless router DSL-G604T , when i first installed the
    > > router ,i could get into the web configuration ,by typing
    > > http://192.168.1.1,but when my system crashed ,i had to system restore
    > > windows xp, now i cant get back into the web configuration for the router ,i
    > > e-mailed D-Link ,D-Link emailed me back, but i have already tried everythin
    > > they said in there email...still cant get into the web configuration...i have
    > > disabled my firewall and anti-virus

    > Well, because I don't know everything D-Link said in thier email -- or what you
    > actually have tried -- the obvious way to deal with this is:
    >
    > 1. Reset the DSL-G604T to the factory defaults by disconnecting everything from
    > it, turn the power on, and press and hold the reset button for at least 7
    > seconds. I'd hold that button in for a bit longer, myself.
    >
    > 2. Connect an ethernet cable between your computer and one of the 4 ethernet
    > ports on the modem/router (not the top port, which goes to your DSL line).
    >
    > 3. Ensure that your computer is properly set to obtain an IP address from the
    > router:
    >
    > a. In Network Connections, right-click on LAN connection, select
    > Properties, then highlight the TCP/IP protocol entry and click "Properties." If
    > on the LAN connection Properties "General" tab you don't see "Client for
    > Microsoft Networks" "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Netoworks" "QoS
    > Packet Scheduler" or "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" then post back with details of
    > what you do or don't have.
    >
    > b. On the "General" tab for Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties, make
    > sure the radio button for "Obtain an IP address automatically" is selected.
    >
    > 4. Start Internet Explorer. Click on Tools > Internet Options, then click on
    > the "Connections" tab, then click on the "LAN Settings" button. Make sure that
    > the box next to "use a proxy server" is UNchecked.
    >
    > 5. Type http://192.168.1.1 in the address box and click Go. You should get the
    > login screen. The default User name is admin and the default password is admin
    >
    > If you you don't get to the router/modem's configuration managment pages, post
    > back detailing exactly what you did and exactly what happened. You didn't say
    > why your system "crashed" necessitating a "system restore" of XP. If your system
    > crashed because of, say, a power surge, it's entirely possible that your
    > DSL-G604T was fried.

    i reset the router, but still cant get into the configuration ,internet
    explorer says the page cannot be displayed....when i system restored my
    windows xp..i reformatted my hard drive, and gave it a clean install.....i
    can ping the router from the computer in the frontroom ,where the router is
    attached to. my system never had a power surge ,just had trouble booting up
    windows ,said no operating system found, thats why i installed windows.

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueQ==?=, Feb 19, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueQ==?=

    Lem Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > "Lem" wrote:
    >

    >>Tony wrote:
    >>

    >>>hi ,can anyone please help me..
    >>>i have a D-Link wireless router DSL-G604T , when i first installed the
    >>>router ,i could get into the web configuration ,by typing
    >>>http://192.168.1.1,but when my system crashed ,i had to system restore
    >>>windows xp, now i cant get back into the web configuration for the router ,i
    >>>e-mailed D-Link ,D-Link emailed me back, but i have already tried everythin
    >>>they said in there email...still cant get into the web configuration...i have
    >>>disabled my firewall and anti-virus

    >>Well, because I don't know everything D-Link said in thier email -- or what you
    >>actually have tried -- the obvious way to deal with this is:
    >>
    >>1. Reset the DSL-G604T to the factory defaults by disconnecting everything from
    >>it, turn the power on, and press and hold the reset button for at least 7
    >>seconds. I'd hold that button in for a bit longer, myself.
    >>
    >>2. Connect an ethernet cable between your computer and one of the 4 ethernet
    >>ports on the modem/router (not the top port, which goes to your DSL line).
    >>
    >>3. Ensure that your computer is properly set to obtain an IP address from the
    >>router:
    >>
    >> a. In Network Connections, right-click on LAN connection, select
    >>Properties, then highlight the TCP/IP protocol entry and click "Properties." If
    >>on the LAN connection Properties "General" tab you don't see "Client for
    >>Microsoft Networks" "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Netoworks" "QoS
    >>Packet Scheduler" or "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" then post back with details of
    >>what you do or don't have.
    >>
    >> b. On the "General" tab for Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties, make
    >>sure the radio button for "Obtain an IP address automatically" is selected.
    >>
    >>4. Start Internet Explorer. Click on Tools > Internet Options, then click on
    >>the "Connections" tab, then click on the "LAN Settings" button. Make sure that
    >>the box next to "use a proxy server" is UNchecked.
    >>
    >>5. Type http://192.168.1.1 in the address box and click Go. You should get the
    >>login screen. The default User name is admin and the default password is admin
    >>
    >>If you you don't get to the router/modem's configuration managment pages, post
    >>back detailing exactly what you did and exactly what happened. You didn't say
    >>why your system "crashed" necessitating a "system restore" of XP. If your system
    >>crashed because of, say, a power surge, it's entirely possible that your
    >>DSL-G604T was fried.
    >>

    > i reset the router, but still cant get into the configuration ,internet
    > explorer says the page cannot be displayed....when i system restored my
    > windows xp..i reformatted my hard drive, and gave it a clean install.....i
    > can ping the router from the computer in the frontroom ,where the router is
    > attached to. my system never had a power surge ,just had trouble booting up
    > windows ,said no operating system found, thats why i installed windows.

    Does the computer on which you did a clean install work otherwise? From
    what I understand "no operating system found" often is the result of a
    dead or dying hard drive. Other causes include a dead or dying CMOS
    battery (which causes the system to lose the hard drive settings in the
    BIOS).

    Assuming that you have a working computer ...

    What firewall do you have installed on the computer on which you did a
    clean install?

    How does the "computer in the frontroom" connect to the router? Can you
    access the router's configuration pages from that computer?

    How does the computer on which you did the clean install connect to the
    router?

    Can you access the Internet from the "computer in the frontroom"? Can
    you access the Internet from the computer on which you did the clean
    install?

    Lem, Feb 20, 2006
  5. "Lem" wrote:

> [...]

    > yes my computer works ok , everything works good on there, yes i can use the internet ,when i did a clean install ,i got a new ard drive and the router is connected to the frontroom computer....the firewall im using ,comes with windows xp ,with service pack 2, my antivirus is kaspersky...but i have disabled both and still cant connect the routers configration log in screen, but i can connect the router from the upstairs computer...but in the configuration log in screen ,only the upstairs computer appears on the router, and yes i can still ping both computers to the router, but both computers ,cant see each other and the router can only see the upstairs computer... i thought it might be because of service pack 2 that my computer couldn't connect to the router, so i did a clean install again ,but this time without service pack 2 , but that still didn't work and i have checked and re-checked all the settings for the wireless network , and internet explorer, thats why i am completely

    suck as to what the cause could be

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueQ==?=, Feb 21, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueQ==?=

    Lem Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    > > Tony wrote:

    > > > i reset the router, but still cant get into the configuration ,internet
    > > > explorer says the page cannot be displayed....when i system restored my
    > > > windows xp..i reformatted my hard drive, and gave it a clean install.....i
    > > > can ping the router from the computer in the frontroom ,where the router is
    > > > attached to. my system never had a power surge ,just had trouble booting up
    > > > windows ,said no operating system found, thats why i installed windows.

    > > Does the computer on which you did a clean install work otherwise? From
    > > what I understand "no operating system found" often is the result of a
    > > dead or dying hard drive. Other causes include a dead or dying CMOS
    > > battery (which causes the system to lose the hard drive settings in the
    > > BIOS).
    > >
    > > Assuming that you have a working computer ...
    > >
    > > What firewall do you have installed on the computer on which you did a
    > > clean install?
    > >
    > > How does the "computer in the frontroom" connect to the router? Can you
    > > access the router's configuration pages from that computer?
    > >
    > > How does the computer on which you did the clean install connect to the
    > > router?
    > >
    > > Can you access the Internet from the "computer in the frontroom"? Can
    > > you access the Internet from the computer on which you did the clean
    > > install?
    > >
    > > yes my computer works ok , everything works good on there, yes i can use the internet ,when i did a clean install ,i got a new ard drive and the router is connected to the frontroom computer....the firewall im using,comes with windows xp ,with service pack 2, my antivirus is kaspersky...but i have disabled both and still cant connect the routers configration log in screen, but i can connect the router from the upstairs computer...but in the configuration log in screen ,only the upstairs computer appears on the router, and yes i can still ping both computers to the router, but both computers ,cant see each other and the router can only see the upstairs computer... i thought it might be because of service pack 2 that my computer couldn't connect to the router, so i did a clean install again ,but this time without service pack 2 , but that still didn't work and i have checked and re-checked all the settings for the wireless network , and internet explorer, thats why i am completely

    > suck as to what the cause could be

    > both computers ,cant see each other and the router can only see the upstairs computer... i thought it might be because of service pack 2 that mycomputer couldn't connect to the router, so i did a clean install again ,but this time without service pack 2 , but that still didn't work and i have checked and re-checked all the settings for the wireless network , and internet explorer, thats why i am completely
    > suck as to what the cause could be

    Tony,

    It's hard to read your reply when you run everything together. Sentenceswith periods and paragraphs separated by blank lines make things a lot easier to understand.

    First of all, get your system uptodate with Service Pack 2 and subsequentupdates.

    Second, the short answer is that if you can use the Internet from the computer with the problem, then this is not a wireless problem at all, but anetwork configuration problem. I'll give you some basic pointers, but you may want to try posting a new message in microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web

    I think -- but I'm not positive -- that you have 2 computers. One of these is the one with the new hard drive and clean install, and the other isthe "frontroom" or "upstairs" computer. The router is physically connected with the frontroom/upstairs computer, and the problem computer connects via wireless to the router.

    I also think you can connect to the router's configuration pages from thewired frontroom/upstairs computer. Most wireless router manufacturers suggest that you make configuration changes only from a wired computer. Still, it is peculiar that you can't even connect to the router from the problem computer.

    I don't understand what screen you are looking at when you say "but in the configuration log in screen, only the upstairs computer appears on the router." The only configuration screen where I would expect to see more than one of your computers lited would be on the DHCP Clients List, but Iwouldn't describe that as the "log in screen."

    On the problem computer, open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all>C:\ipresult.txt" (without quotes) and then open the file C:\ipresult.txt and cut and paste the information into your next post.

    If the problem computer is not set to obtain an IP address automatically (and assuming that you have not turned off the router's DHCP server), it is possible that you have misconfigured the IP address of the problem computer.

    When, as in your case, two computers on a network can't see each other, the problem usually is a misconfigured or overlooked firewall. Try the network troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it and it will pinpoint the problem area(s). http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm
    Or read the following aritcle by MS-MVP Chuck, who often posts in the XP Networking newsgroup:
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/irregularities-in-workgroup-visibility.html

    Lem, Feb 21, 2006
  7. "Lem" wrote:

> [...]

    > On the problem computer, open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all>C:\ipresult.txt" (without quotes) and then open the file C:\ipresult.txt and cut and paste the information into your next post.
    >
    > If the problem computer is not set to obtain an IP address automatically (and assuming that you have not turned off the router's DHCP server), it is possible that you have misconfigured the IP address of the problem computer.
    >
    > When, as in your case, two computers on a network can't see each other, the problem usually is a misconfigured or overlooked firewall. Try the network troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it and it will pinpoint the problem area(s). http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm
    > Or read the following aritcle by MS-MVP Chuck, who often posts in the XP Networking newsgroup:

    here is the ipconfig you asked for

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : hal9000-acitlw5

    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : GlobeSpan USB ADSL LAN Modem

    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-F5-85-43-06

    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.203.85

    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

    PPP adapter {556F189E-20F6-4B53-8D32-D8263A528308}:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface

    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00

    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

    second i have already installed windows xp service pack 2

    third i have already disabled the firewall and anti-virus

    hope this helps you....and a BIG thanks for your help

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueQ==?=, Feb 24, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueQ==?=

    Lem Guest

    Tony wrote:

> [...]

    > Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    >
    > Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    >
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : GlobeSpan USB ADSL LAN Modem
    >
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-F5-85-43-06
    >
    > Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    >
    > Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    >
    > Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.203.85

    > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    >
    > PPP adapter {556F189E-20F6-4B53-8D32-D8263A528308}:
    >
    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    >
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
    >
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
    >
    > Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

    > NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
    >
    > second i have already installed windows xp service pack 2
    >
    > third i have already disabled the firewall and anti-virus
    >
    > hope this helps you....and a BIG thanks for your help

    I'm quite confused.

    Although your original post said that you were trying to connect (wirelessly, I thought) to a D-Link DSL-G604T wireless router in order to access its configuration pages, your computer appears to be physically connectedto a GlobeSpan USB ADSL LAN Modem. Some of the settings in your ipconfig results seem peculiar to me, but because the IP address 172.212.105.104is AOL, and because I understand that AOL uses non-standard protocols for connecting to the Internet, I really can't help you with configuring your system to use AOL.

    I really can not visualize how you have things connected. It seems to meas if the computer that had the problem (hal9000-acitlw5 ?) is not talking to the D-Link router in any way whatsoever. Instead, this computer seems to be connected directly to the Internet via an AOL connection using a GlobeSpan USB DSL modem.

    How do you think you are communicating between the problem computer and the D-Link router? By wire? By wireless? With what wireless device (as near as I can tell, the GlobeSpan is not a wireless device)?

    Lem, Feb 24, 2006
  9. "Lem" wrote:

> [...]

    > I really can not visualize how you have things connected. It seems to me as if the computer that had the problem (hal9000-acitlw5 ?) is not talking to the D-Link router in any way whatsoever. Instead, this computer seems to be connected directly to the Internet via an AOL connection using a GlobeSpan USB DSL modem.
    >
    > How do you think you are communicating between the problem computer and the D-Link router? By wire? By wireless? With what wireless device (as near as I can tell, the GlobeSpan is not a wireless device)?
    >

    > ok i will go throught it again, but i not asking for anything to do with the internet ,im just asking how to connect to computers via a D-Link ADSL ROUTER

    first off , the D-Link router and the ADSL modem are the same unit, the
    router is connected to the computer in the frontroom..i can connect to the
    computer throught the ADSL modem (GlobeSpan)....the router connects to the
    frontroom computer via USB connection

    second both computers can see the router , and can ping the router , but
    they can't see each other, thats my problem...and the reason i want to get
    into the web configuration utility, so i can connect both computers to the
    wireless network

    third this is want i dont understand is that both computers can see the
    router ,but cant see each other , so i cant connect them, but it was working
    before my system crashed and now i cant get them to connect

    fourth it is a wireless problem cos the computer upstairs has a Wi-fi
    reciever ,which should connect to the router, i have no problem with that one
    , my problem is with the D-Link ADSL router....as i said in my first message,
    i have already e-mailed the company and they replyed with the things i have
    already tried, thats why i am asking on the microsoft expertzone newsgroup ,
    as i thought someone might have the answer, but a BIG thanks for your help

    fifth is it possible to take off the built in microsoft firewall ,as i think
    thats causing my problem, because my other version of windows xp ,didnt have
    service pack 2 on there and everything work good

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueQ==?=, Feb 25, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueQ==?=

    Lem Guest

    Tony wrote:

> [...]

    > third this is want i dont understand is that both computers can see the
    > router ,but cant see each other , so i cant connect them, but it was working
    > before my system crashed and now i cant get them to connect
    >
    > fourth it is a wireless problem cos the computer upstairs has a Wi-fi
    > reciever ,which should connect to the router, i have no problem with that one
    > , my problem is with the D-Link ADSL router....as i said in my first message,
    > i have already e-mailed the company and they replyed with the things i have
    > already tried, thats why i am asking on the microsoft expertzone newsgroup ,
    > as i thought someone might have the answer, but a BIG thanks for your help
    >
    > fifth is it possible to take off the built in microsoft firewall ,as i think
    > thats causing my problem, because my other version of windows xp ,didnt have
    > service pack 2 on there and everything work good

    I'm sorry to be so dense, but I still don't understand quite how you
    have things connected. I do understand (now) that the DLink unit
    incorporates both a wireless router and a DSL modem, but as far as I can
    tell -- from reading the specifications and manual for the DSL-G604T at
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=372 this device does not have any
    USB connection, so I don't understand what you have connected to your
    front room computer via USB. Perhaps you really mean that the DLink
    device is connected to the frontroom computer with an ethernet cable,
    which would make some sense to me.

    If the frontroom computer is the one that (a) had the problem that
    caused you to get a new hard drive and reinstall WinXP and (b) is the
    one on which you ran ipconfig, then it seems as if the router is either
    (1) not reset to its factory defaults or (2) defective. I say this
    because the IP address for this connection (169.254.203.85) is in the
    range of addresses that Windows uses when it cannot obtain an address
    from a DHCP server. But, at its default setting, the router's DHCP
    server should be on, and should have provided your computer with an IP
    address like 192.168.1.x (where x is a number between 2 and 255)

    When you say that both computers can see and ping the router, what
    address are you using to ping it? Assuming that you are pinging
    192.168.1.1, then try setting your computer to use a static IP address
    of 192.168.1.150 as follows:
    -- Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections
    -- Right Click on LAN connection and select properties
    -- On General tab, highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties
    -- Click the radio button for "use the following IP address" and enter
    IP address: 192.168.1.150
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

    At this point, you should now be able to access the router's
    configuration pages from your browser. If you can, make sure that the
    DHCP server is enabled. Check the manual for instructions.

    If that doesn't work, I've run out of ideas.

    However, if you want to disable the Windows XP firewall (which is safe,
    as long as you are connected to the Internet through the DLink router),
    just go to Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Windows
    Firewall, and turn it off there.

    Lem, Feb 25, 2006