Problem with VOIP calls to Universities?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Victor Delta, Oct 2, 2006.

  1. Victor Delta

    Victor Delta Guest

    My daughter has just started her course at a UK university and has a good
    internet network connection in her study bedroom on the campus (alongside
    her 0870 number telephone!).

    However, although MSN Messenger (sorry, Windows Live Messenger) works ok in
    basic text mode, we are having some difficulty getting the talk/video
    connection to work between home and campus (although we have tried it before
    in other settings and it worked fine).

    A friend tells me that he thinks the universities do something to their
    networks to prevent students downloading huge video files and this also
    affects VOIP usage.

    Can anyone please confirm if this is the case and, if so, if there is anyway
    to get round the VOIP issue?

    Thanks,

    Victor Delta, Oct 2, 2006

  2. Victor Delta

    mattpark Guest

    University networks are often tightly controlled... you need to find
    out if they are blocking ports which may prevent your voip from
    working correctly...

    Matt
    ---
    External Post from http://ukvoiptalk.com

    mattpark, Oct 2, 2006

  3. Victor Delta

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Victor Delta wrote:
    > A friend tells me that he thinks the universities do something to their
    > networks to prevent students downloading huge video files and this also
    > affects VOIP usage.
    >
    > Can anyone please confirm if this is the case and, if so, if there is anyway
    > to get round the VOIP issue?

    Yes, universities may well limit use of p2p on their network and also VoIP.

    Best check the terms of use for the internet connection to see what it
    does/does not allow.

    Maybe try Skype to see if it can get a connection rather than an
    SIP-based system.

    Paul Cupis, Oct 2, 2006
  4. Victor Delta

    F9 Guest

    "Victor Delta" <> wrote in message
    > My daughter has just started her course at a UK university and has a good
    > internet network connection in her study bedroom on the campus (alongside
    > her 0870 number telephone!).
    >
    > However, although MSN Messenger (sorry, Windows Live Messenger) works ok
    > in basic text mode, we are having some difficulty getting the talk/video
    > connection to work between home and campus (although we have tried it
    > before in other settings and it worked fine).
    >
    > A friend tells me that he thinks the universities do something to their
    > networks to prevent students downloading huge video files and this also
    > affects VOIP usage.
    >
    > Can anyone please confirm if this is the case and, if so, if there is
    > anyway to get round the VOIP issue?
    >
    > Thanks,

    The problem with most VOIP services is that they are p2p and as soon as a
    major bandwidth provider comes online will route through it as a 'hub'. A
    university network is such a hub. It means the university's servers become
    overloaded with p2p and stops or slows down everything else. Skype for
    example is a real bandwidth hog. So, universities will either strangle the
    bandwidth in student residences or politely tell staff to not use it.

    There are plenty of services that universities are happy for you to use as
    these don't work the same way as skype-type p2p. I am aware of a few, but
    your daughters university will have a list somewhere on their computing help
    website that they will allow. Trawl the computer services website, or get
    your daughter to ask.

    F9, Oct 2, 2006
  5. Victor Delta

    PeterW Guest

    -spam.invalid (mattpark) wrote in

    > University networks are often tightly controlled... you need to find
    > out if they are blocking ports which may prevent your voip from
    > working correctly...
    >
    > Matt
    > ---
    > External Post from http://ukvoiptalk.com

    My daughter has working IAX and a link to my Asterisk server (and free
    external calls via VoipCheap from there).

    PeterW, Oct 2, 2006
  6. Victor Delta

    Victor Delta Guest

    "F9" <> wrote in message
    > The problem with most VOIP services is that they are p2p and as soon as a
    > major bandwidth provider comes online will route through it as a 'hub'. A
    > university network is such a hub. It means the university's servers become
    > overloaded with p2p and stops or slows down everything else. Skype for
    > example is a real bandwidth hog. So, universities will either strangle the
    > bandwidth in student residences or politely tell staff to not use it.
    >
    > There are plenty of services that universities are happy for you to use as
    > these don't work the same way as skype-type p2p. I am aware of a few, but
    > your daughters university will have a list somewhere on their computing
    > help website that they will allow. Trawl the computer services website, or
    > get your daughter to ask.

    Oh dear! Thanks for all the advice.

    Victor Delta, Oct 2, 2006
  7. Victor Delta

    Daviey Guest

    On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 20:15 +0100, F9 wrote:
    > "Victor Delta" <> wrote in message
    > I am aware of a few, but
    > your daughters university will have a list somewhere on their computing help
    > website that they will allow. Trawl the computer services website, or get
    > your daughter to ask.

    I seem to remember otherwise. Trying to find out the university's
    firewall policy was impossible! I tried asking the relevant departments
    but was told they were not allowed to say (I think they did not know).

    I found it necessary to survey their firewall manually but trying to
    make connections on each port. From what it seems, they DENY all
    connection and only allow those they think are necessary. Ie 80, 443,
    21,22.

    If you host your own Asterisk server you could easily make port:443 your
    IAX port, as the university will NOT block that port. It really isn't
    very hard to do this, if you need help - there are many knowledgeable
    asterisk'ers here to help.

    Daviey, Oct 2, 2006
  8. Victor Delta

    F9 Guest

    "Daviey" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 20:15 +0100, F9 wrote:
    >> "Victor Delta" <> wrote in message
    >> I am aware of a few, but
    >> your daughters university will have a list somewhere on their computing
    >> help
    >> website that they will allow. Trawl the computer services website, or get
    >> your daughter to ask.
    >>

    > I seem to remember otherwise. Trying to find out the university's
    > firewall policy was impossible! I tried asking the relevant departments
    > but was told they were not allowed to say (I think they did not know).
    >
    > I found it necessary to survey their firewall manually but trying to
    > make connections on each port. From what it seems, they DENY all
    > connection and only allow those they think are necessary. Ie 80, 443,
    > 21,22.
    >
    > If you host your own Asterisk server you could easily make port:443 your
    > IAX port, as the university will NOT block that port. It really isn't
    > very hard to do this, if you need help - there are many knowledgeable
    > asterisk'ers here to help.

    Most universities now monitor all bandwidth usage and anything unusual or
    significant - and VOIP is - will get noticed. It's not that they ban VOIP,
    just those that use the university network as a super node.

    For example, these are usually allowed as they don't hog bandwidth:

    aql, FWD, Gizmo, Glootix, Google Talk, gossiptel, nplusone, SIP Discount,
    Sipgate, Speak2world.com, StudentCalls, VoIP.co.uk, Voip Buster, VoIP Cheap,
    Voipfone, VoIPtalk, VoIP USER, Vonage, Wengo

    Many of the services listed above also allow credit to be purchased for
    Internet uses to call PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network) lines at
    competitive rates, some even allow free calls to landlines in some
    countries.

    your daughter may be better off with one of these.

    F9, Oct 2, 2006
  9. Victor Delta

    F9 Guest

    "Daviey" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 20:15 +0100, F9 wrote:
    >> "Victor Delta" <> wrote in message
    >> I am aware of a few, but
    >> your daughters university will have a list somewhere on their computing
    >> help
    >> website that they will allow. Trawl the computer services website, or get
    >> your daughter to ask.
    >>

    > I seem to remember otherwise. Trying to find out the university's
    > firewall policy was impossible! I tried asking the relevant departments
    > but was told they were not allowed to say (I think they did not know).
    >
    > I found it necessary to survey their firewall manually but trying to
    > make connections on each port. From what it seems, they DENY all
    > connection and only allow those they think are necessary. Ie 80, 443,
    > 21,22.
    >
    > If you host your own Asterisk server you could easily make port:443 your
    > IAX port, as the university will NOT block that port. It really isn't
    > very hard to do this, if you need help - there are many knowledgeable
    > asterisk'ers here to help.

    Most universities now monitor all bandwidth usage and anything unusual or
    significant - and VOIP is - will get noticed. It's not that they ban VOIP,
    just those that use the university network as a super node.

    Ports 80, 443 are usually forced through a proxy and can be easily
    monitored.

    F9, Oct 2, 2006