    3. No fancy stuff.

    Thanks again

    Please note the above e-mail is for posting only
    thedarkman, Jan 7, 2008

  2. thedarkman

    ded Guest

    "thedarkman" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In November I bought a new Pentium, I say new, I don't think it had
    > ever been used. I needed a more powerful machine but didn't want
    > Vista. This runs Windows 2000. It is okay but I have a few problems,
    > in particular videos from mpgs to Youtube run too fast and it's like
    > Donald Duck talking. I really don't want to mess with the system but
    > can someone tell me how to sort this out?

    Not enough info, but as it's win2000, start updating, first for YT
    install latest Adobe flash player, YouTube will have a link to it.
    Update drivers for soundcard.
    As for the mpeg issue, what media player, what codecs.
    As you don't know for sure if it is new or used(???) have you updated
    win2000 with service packs, hotfixes, patches etc.
    Do you have uptodate anti-virus/spyware/firewall installed.

    > Thanks
    >
    > I also need some software, preferable free, that I can use to edit
    > films and records, basically to cut them down from say 15 minutes to
    > 3. No fancy stuff.

    Go here:
    http://www.videohelp.com/
    ded, Jan 7, 2008

  3. thedarkman

    thedarkman Guest

    On 7 Jan, 13:34, "ded" <> wrote:
    > "thedarkman" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...> In November I bought a new Pentium, I say new, I don't think it had
    > > ever been used. I needed a more powerful machine but didn't want
    > > Vista. This runs Windows 2000. It is okay but I have a few problems,
    > > in particular videos from mpgs to Youtube run too fast and it's like
    > > Donald Duck talking. I really don't want to mess with the system but
    > > can someone tell me how to sort this out?

    > Not enough info, but as it's win2000, start updating, first for YT
    > install latest Adobe flash player, YouTube will have a link to it.
    > Update drivers for soundcard.
    > As for the mpeg issue, what media player, what codecs.
    > As you don't know for sure if it is new or used(???) have you updated
    > win2000 with service packs, hotfixes, patches etc.
    > Do you have uptodate anti-virus/spyware/firewall installed.
    >
    > > Thanks

    Thanks for the advice; I've installed the Micrtosoft updates - 63 of
    them - mostly security related. I've also downloaded the flash player
    update, I think it's been installed, but the voices are still sounding
    like Mickey Mouse. When I use Fly Player files though, these run at
    the proper speed. I'm not sure but I think they weren't before. I'm
    not sure if that gives any clues but any further help appreciated. I'm
    also having problems with the screen resolution; I've tried changing
    this in the control panel but a lot of sites the print is microscopic.
    I don't want to mess about with the resolution because I need 4
    windows open for a lot of the things I do.

    Also that video site contains a lot of stuff but I can't find what I
    want, ie a program to edit down files.

    As for firewalls, I'm using AVG - the paid version - this is the only
    thing I have at the moment and it appears to be working more or less
    okay. I had a couple of Trojans the other day; it got rid of them
    although of course I'd rather it didn't let them through in the first
    place.
    thedarkman, Jan 9, 2008
  4. thedarkman

    > On 7 Jan, 13:34, "ded" <> wrote:
    >> "thedarkman" <> wrote in message

    >> In November I bought a new Pentium, I say new, I don't think it had
    >> > ever been used. I needed a more powerful machine but didn't want
    >> > Vista. This runs Windows 2000. It is okay but I have a few problems,
    >> > in particular videos from mpgs to Youtube run too fast and it's like
    >> > Donald Duck talking. I really don't want to mess with the system but
    >> > can someone tell me how to sort this out?

    >> Not enough info, but as it's win2000, start updating, first for YT
    >> install latest Adobe flash player, YouTube will have a link to it.
    >> Update drivers for soundcard.
    >> As for the mpeg issue, what media player, what codecs.
    >> As you don't know for sure if it is new or used(???) have you updated
    >> win2000 with service packs, hotfixes, patches etc.
    >> Do you have uptodate anti-virus/spyware/firewall installed.
    >>
    >> > Thanks

    > Thanks for the advice; I've installed the Micrtosoft updates - 63 of
    > them - mostly security related. I've also downloaded the flash player
    > update, I think it's been installed, but the voices are still sounding
    > like Mickey Mouse. When I use Fly Player files though, these run at
    > the proper speed. I'm not sure but I think they weren't before. I'm
    > not sure if that gives any clues but any further help appreciated. I'm
    > also having problems with the screen resolution; I've tried changing
    > this in the control panel but a lot of sites the print is microscopic.
    > I don't want to mess about with the resolution because I need 4
    > windows open for a lot of the things I do.
    >
    > Also that video site contains a lot of stuff but I can't find what I
    > want, ie a program to edit down files.
    >
    > As for firewalls, I'm using AVG - the paid version - this is the only
    > thing I have at the moment and it appears to be working more or less
    > okay. I had a couple of Trojans the other day; it got rid of them
    > although of course I'd rather it didn't let them through in the first
    > place.

    You fail to supply enough info, unknown what media player and version,
    Nor are you precise with what file types are problematic, so download
    this:
    http://www.videolan.org/
    It will play anything.

    As you are having problems with audio in video files, again you fail to
    reveal if you have updated the soundcards drivers, read here:
    http://www.fonerbooks.com/sound.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812394

    With streaming video the browser used plays an important role, are you
    using IE5 or IE6, thats a mistake, upgrade to IE7 or Firefox.
    The impression given with the little info you provided is that your PC is
    seriously compromised through lack of updating and failing to take adequate
    security measures. AVG is anti-virus and a good one too, but for surfing you
    need a firewall installed.
    Important note, you do not run two firewalls together, only install one.
    These are freeware, chose one, download and install it then update with
    latest definitions. These will run on Win2000:
    http://www.computeractive.co.uk/vnunet/downloads/2128997/zonealarm

    http://www.computeractive.co.uk/vnunet/downloads/2154813/comodo-personal-firewall

    You also require a malware tool, this Spybot, download and install:
    http://www.computeractive.co.uk/vnunet/downloads/2128856/spybot-search-destroy

    Do you really not know how to navigate a site? In Videohelps search
    I typed "editing software", this was the result:
    http://tinyurl.com/2cetgq

    In the site itself http://www.videohelp.com:80/ to left are links to
    "How to" guides including Convert.
    There is also a link to the sites forum.
    ded, Jan 10, 2008