Problem with USB downstream ports on new Dell monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by MaryL, Aug 6, 2005.

  1. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    I just got a new Dell system for my office. The secretary places all
    orders, and I did not see the specs before the order was placed and had no
    input in the decision. The CPU is an Opliplex GX280. The monitor is 19"
    and can swivel to either horizontal or vertical (sorry, I don't have the
    model number at home). This seems to be an excellent system in most ways
    and it performs well. However, there is only one strangely-positioned USB
    port on the front of the CPU. It is parallel to the CPU instead of
    vertical, and I almost have to stand on my head to see where to insert
    anything. It is apparently meant only for one of those memory sticks.
    There are 3 USB ports on the back, but that is awkward to use. There are
    also 2 USB ports on the side of the monitor. Those would seem to be the
    logical ones to use -- but, so far, nothing that I have tried has worked
    with those ports. I called Dell and spend about 1-1/2 hours with the first
    technician, and he also had me run the diagnostics program (another 45
    minutes). He didn't have any answers. On the other hand, he seemed to know
    very *little* about anything. I called the next day, and the tech I
    contacted told me that the ports on monitors "sometimes work and sometimes
    they don't." I informed him that it was a pretty poor decision if Dell
    really sent out new equipment knowing that the ports "might or might not"
    work.

    Can anyone help? Do you know of any settings I should try? There is
    absolutely *no* documentation with this computer, and it is awkward trying
    to work my way through Dell's online support because there does not appear
    to be one manual where I could search alphabetically. Instead, there are
    numerous little modules of information (none helpful, so far). There was a
    one-page set of instructions for setup, and that page identified the two
    ports on the side of the monitor as "USB downstream" devices.

    Thanks,
    MaryL
    MaryL, Aug 6, 2005

  2. MaryL

    Fakename Guest

    Can you include a picture?

    Fakename, Aug 8, 2005

  3. MaryL

    Plato Guest

    MaryL wrote:

    > There are 3 USB ports on the back, but that is awkward to use. There are
    > also 2 USB ports on the side of the monitor. Those would seem to be the

    Most likely an usb hub.

    > contacted told me that the ports on monitors "sometimes work and sometimes
    > they don't." I informed him that it was a pretty poor decision if Dell

    True. Many devices dont like usb hubs.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Aug 8, 2005