    Event ID: 2
    Date: 5/02/2004
    Time: 11:21:44 p.m.
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Application terminated

    I found no such way to disable / shut down the ccPwdSvc. In Task Manager,
    attempting to "End Process" anything regarding Nortons fell upon deaf ears.
    Even simply disabling Norton Auto-Protect in the system tray didn't work. My
    AV is interferring every time I try to start this game - is there any way I
    can overcome this...(apart from uninstalling Nortons of course!)?
    Lebowski, Feb 5, 2004

  2. Lebowski

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:20:50 +1300, Lebowski wrote:

    > Well I haven't been able to play this demo as yet. The splash screen comes
    > up, where you can input your name and choose which graphics and audio
    > settings you desire. Then, hit the "play" button. Screen goes blank for a
    > second then crashes to desktop without a trace.
    >
    > So I went into the XP Event Viewer to suss out what is happening. Curiously,
    > it is all to do with my Norton Antivirus, preventing the game from loading.
    >
    > Event Type: Information
    > Event Source: ccPwdSvc
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 2
    > Date: 5/02/2004
    > Time: 11:21:44 p.m.
    > User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    > Application terminated
    >
    > I found no such way to disable / shut down the ccPwdSvc. In Task Manager,
    > attempting to "End Process" anything regarding Nortons fell upon deaf ears.
    > Even simply disabling Norton Auto-Protect in the system tray didn't work. My
    > AV is interferring every time I try to start this game - is there any way I
    > can overcome this...(apart from uninstalling Nortons of course!)?

    you have to kill all norton related processes at startup, ie while nortons
    tray icons etc are still loading.
    you can make a batch script to do this, and put it in your startup,
    in the .bat file put:
    taskkill /F /IM Navapw32.exe
    taskkill /F /IM Navapsvc.exe

    add any other processes you want to kill.

    alternatively uninstall NAV and install the free version of AVG as i did
    recently. It is much better and can be left active while gaming with no
    decrease in performance.
    -[Myth]-, Feb 5, 2004

  3. Lebowski

    K & S Guest

    wrote:

    >Well I haven't been able to play this demo as yet. The splash screen comes
    >up, where you can input your name and choose which graphics and audio
    >settings you desire. Then, hit the "play" button. Screen goes blank for a
    >second then crashes to desktop without a trace.
    >
    >So I went into the XP Event Viewer to suss out what is happening. Curiously,
    >it is all to do with my Norton Antivirus, preventing the game from loading.
    >
    >Event Type: Information
    >Event Source: ccPwdSvc
    >Event Category: None
    >Event ID: 2
    >Date: 5/02/2004
    >Time: 11:21:44 p.m.
    >User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    >Application terminated
    >
    >I found no such way to disable / shut down the ccPwdSvc. In Task Manager,
    >attempting to "End Process" anything regarding Nortons fell upon deaf ears.
    >Even simply disabling Norton Auto-Protect in the system tray didn't work. My
    >AV is interferring every time I try to start this game - is there any way I
    >can overcome this...(apart from uninstalling Nortons of course!)?

    Never ever use NAV its the Biggest Virus out..

    Plus you don't need it, use a Virus program that does not work in the
    background..
    K & S, Feb 5, 2004
  4. Lebowski

    Lebowski Guest

    "-[Myth]-" <> wrote in message

    > you have to kill all norton related processes at startup, ie while nortons
    > tray icons etc are still loading.
    > you can make a batch script to do this, and put it in your startup,
    > in the .bat file put:
    > taskkill /F /IM Navapw32.exe
    > taskkill /F /IM Navapsvc.exe
    >
    > add any other processes you want to kill.

    Hi, well I stuck the following processes into the batch file:

    taskkill /F /IM NPROTECT.EXE
    taskkill /F /IM NAVAPSVC.EXE
    taskkill /F /IM NVSVC32.EXE
    taskkill /F /IM ccApp.exe
    taskkill /F /IM CCEVTMGR.EXE
    taskkill /F /IM ccPwdSvc.EXE

    (note Nortons 2003 now calls it Nprotect.exe, not Navapw32.exe which I seem
    to remember was in their 2001/02 incarnation).

    The first 3 processes it killed and confirmed, but with the last 3, it
    sort-of ignored them. Maybe I still need to add something that I've missed /
    overlooked as the demo still would not run, and the Event Viewer reported
    exactly the same fault - ccPwdSvc.exe - the cunning bastard! :)

    > alternatively uninstall NAV and install the free version of AVG as i did
    > recently. It is much better and can be left active while gaming with no
    > decrease in performance.

    My rig never decreases in performance with Nortons anyway. I think the old
    adage of Nortons slowing down systems doesn't ring true in this age where we
    now have the ram and grunt to run these things with a minimum of fuss. If
    you install Nortons 2003 on a P266 with 32mb of ram, then sure, your whole
    system is going to struggle. But hey, 2400+XP, 768mb ram and 128mb video
    card...sweet! Having now removed the *.bat file, restarted and looked at the
    Task Manager, all Nortons-related activity seems to come to roughly 20 megs
    of ram total. Out of 768 to play with, it's chicken feed. So it's no
    surprise I'm still playing Vice City at 1600x1200 all details on high smooth
    as glass framerate with no degredation of performance whatsoever.

    I trust Symantec's Live Update more than I do AVG, which I had for a while
    but didn't care for too much. NAV scnas all incoming and outgoing emails
    through OE, and I prefer to have a system which fits perfectly together and
    works well, you can trust it with more assurance that way. While I had AVG I
    almost felt like I was leaving the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff,
    there was something dodgy about it but it's probably just a personal
    perception thing (like you never quite knew if it was doing its job or not).
    Anyway, I digress :)

    Appreciate your help with the batch file, any other suggestions would be
    most welcome, just for the sake of playing this demo once..to have a look at
    it!
    Lebowski, Feb 5, 2004
  5. Lebowski

    Lebowski Guest

    "K & S" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:20:50 +1300, "Lebowski" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Well I haven't been able to play this demo as yet. The splash screen

    comes
    > >up, where you can input your name and choose which graphics and audio
    > >settings you desire. Then, hit the "play" button. Screen goes blank for a
    > >second then crashes to desktop without a trace.
    > >
    > >So I went into the XP Event Viewer to suss out what is happening.

    Curiously,
    > >it is all to do with my Norton Antivirus, preventing the game from

    > >Event Type: Information
    > >Event Source: ccPwdSvc
    > >Event Category: None
    > >Event ID: 2
    > >Date: 5/02/2004
    > >Time: 11:21:44 p.m.
    > >User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    > >Application terminated
    > >
    > >I found no such way to disable / shut down the ccPwdSvc. In Task Manager,
    > >attempting to "End Process" anything regarding Nortons fell upon deaf

    ears.
    > >Even simply disabling Norton Auto-Protect in the system tray didn't work.

    My
    > >AV is interferring every time I try to start this game - is there any way

    > >can overcome this...(apart from uninstalling Nortons of course!)?
    > >

    > Never ever use NAV its the Biggest Virus out..

    Then how come Symantec are always the most trusted and helpful when it comes
    to providing removal tools and manual removal of viri? I think Nortons is
    far and away the best.

    > Plus you don't need it, use a Virus program that does not work in the
    > background..

    Yeah that's a great idea, on ADSL that's really going to leave the
    floodgates open isn't it? I prefer to be more responsible - I have a
    firewall, Nortons Auto-Protect always on, Spybot for any spyware vermin, and
    all latest critical updates from Microsoft. Geez, if only other people did
    the same, then they wouldn't bitch and complain when they do actually get a
    virus. I have absolutely zero sympathy for these people.
    Lebowski, Feb 6, 2004
  6. Lebowski

    K & S Guest

    On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 13:03:18 +1300, "Lebowski" <>
    wrote:

    >"K & S" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:20:50 +1300, "Lebowski" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Well I haven't been able to play this demo as yet. The splash screen

    >comes
    >> >up, where you can input your name and choose which graphics and audio
    >> >settings you desire. Then, hit the "play" button. Screen goes blank for a
    >> >second then crashes to desktop without a trace.
    >> >
    >> >So I went into the XP Event Viewer to suss out what is happening.

    >Curiously,
    >> >it is all to do with my Norton Antivirus, preventing the game from

    >> >Event Type: Information
    >> >Event Source: ccPwdSvc
    >> >Event Category: None
    >> >Event ID: 2
    >> >Date: 5/02/2004
    >> >Time: 11:21:44 p.m.
    >> >User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    >> >Application terminated
    >> >
    >> >I found no such way to disable / shut down the ccPwdSvc. In Task Manager,
    >> >attempting to "End Process" anything regarding Nortons fell upon deaf

    >ears.
    >> >Even simply disabling Norton Auto-Protect in the system tray didn't work.

    >My
    >> >AV is interferring every time I try to start this game - is there any way

    >> >can overcome this...(apart from uninstalling Nortons of course!)?
    >> >

    >> Never ever use NAV its the Biggest Virus out..
    >>

    >Then how come Symantec are always the most trusted and helpful when it comes
    >to providing removal tools and manual removal of viri? I think Nortons is
    >far and away the best.
    >

    >> Plus you don't need it, use a Virus program that does not work in the
    >> background..
    >>

    >Yeah that's a great idea, on ADSL that's really going to leave the
    >floodgates open isn't it? I prefer to be more responsible - I have a
    >firewall, Nortons Auto-Protect always on, Spybot for any spyware vermin, and
    >all latest critical updates from Microsoft. Geez, if only other people did
    >the same, then they wouldn't bitch and complain when they do actually get a
    >virus. I have absolutely zero sympathy for these people.

    Utter Rubbish I use Cable and just use the Kerio firewall, no background virus
    checker, you have really been conned into thinking you need all this stuff to
    clog up your PC...
    K & S, Feb 6, 2004
  7. Lebowski

    Lebowski Guest

    "K & S" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 13:03:18 +1300, "Lebowski" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"K & S" <> wrote in message
    > >> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:20:50 +1300, "Lebowski"

    <>

    > >comes

    for a

    > >Curiously,

    Manager,

    > >ears.

    work.
    > >My

    way

    > >> Never ever use NAV its the Biggest Virus out..
    > >>

    > >Then how come Symantec are always the most trusted and helpful when it

    comes
    > >to providing removal tools and manual removal of viri? I think Nortons is
    > >far and away the best.
    > >

    > >> Plus you don't need it, use a Virus program that does not work in the
    > >> background..
    > >>

    > >Yeah that's a great idea, on ADSL that's really going to leave the
    > >floodgates open isn't it? I prefer to be more responsible - I have a
    > >firewall, Nortons Auto-Protect always on, Spybot for any spyware vermin,

    and
    > >all latest critical updates from Microsoft. Geez, if only other people

    did
    > >the same, then they wouldn't bitch and complain when they do actually get

    > >virus. I have absolutely zero sympathy for these people.
    > >

    > Utter Rubbish I use Cable and just use the Kerio firewall, no background

    virus
    > checker, you have really been conned into thinking you need all this stuff

    > clog up your PC...

    Clog it up? Hardly.
    Lebowski, Feb 6, 2004
  8. Lebowski

    Lebowski Guest

    "Lebowski" <> wrote in message

    > "K & S" <> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 13:03:18 +1300, "Lebowski" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > > >"K & S" <> wrote in message

    > <>

    > > >comes

    audio

    > for a

    > > >Curiously,

    > Manager,

    deaf
    > > >ears.

    > work.
    > > >My

    any
    > way

    > > >Then how come Symantec are always the most trusted and helpful when it

    > comes
    > > >to providing removal tools and manual removal of viri? I think Nortons

    is
    > > >far and away the best.

    > > >Yeah that's a great idea, on ADSL that's really going to leave the
    > > >floodgates open isn't it? I prefer to be more responsible - I have a
    > > >firewall, Nortons Auto-Protect always on, Spybot for any spyware

    vermin,
    > and
    > > >all latest critical updates from Microsoft. Geez, if only other people

    > did
    > > >the same, then they wouldn't bitch and complain when they do actually

    get
    > > >virus. I have absolutely zero sympathy for these people.
    > > >

    > > Utter Rubbish I use Cable and just use the Kerio firewall, no background

    > virus
    > > checker, you have really been conned into thinking you need all this

    stuff
    > > clog up your PC...
    > >

    > Clog it up? Hardly.

    20 megs of memory devoted to Nortons won't clog up a computer. Having the
    ICF running won't clog it up either. Patches from Windows Update are not a
    silly thing to grab from time-to-time, as does the occasional broom-sweep
    with Spybot (not resident in startup/memory btw). All pretty sensible stuff
    with all due respect to your assertion. If such a strategy is described as
    "utter rubbish", then imagine all the fools out there who do nothing or
    don't care what passes through their pc.

    For instance, people who download nice waterfall screensavers, happilly
    "oh so friendly". Then they wonder why they keep getting hit with
    advertisements and dial-up prompts the moment they boot their computer.
    Lebowski, Feb 6, 2004
  9. Lebowski

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:20:50 +1300, "Lebowski" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Well I haven't been able to play this demo as yet. The splash screen comes
    > >up, where you can input your name and choose which graphics and audio
    > >settings you desire. Then, hit the "play" button. Screen goes blank for a
    > >second then crashes to desktop without a trace.
    > >
    > >So I went into the XP Event Viewer to suss out what is happening. Curiously,
    > >it is all to do with my Norton Antivirus, preventing the game from loading.
    > >
    > >Event Type: Information
    > >Event Source: ccPwdSvc
    > >Event Category: None
    > >Event ID: 2
    > >Date: 5/02/2004
    > >Time: 11:21:44 p.m.
    > >User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    > >Application terminated
    > >
    > >I found no such way to disable / shut down the ccPwdSvc. In Task Manager,
    > >attempting to "End Process" anything regarding Nortons fell upon deaf ears.
    > >Even simply disabling Norton Auto-Protect in the system tray didn't work. My
    > >AV is interferring every time I try to start this game - is there any way I
    > >can overcome this...(apart from uninstalling Nortons of course!)?
    > >

    > Never ever use NAV its the Biggest Virus out..
    >
    > Plus you don't need it, use a Virus program that does not work in the
    > background..

    Sure mate, just let the viruses work away infecting files in your PC

    The autoprotect is one of the best features of NAV, it limits the amount
    of damage a virus can do if it does get in undetected.

    Mainlander, Feb 11, 2004