Problem with system restore/recover.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by R. Giggs., Oct 19, 2012.

  1. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    OK basically, I tried a system restore or recover and now when I try
    to boot up a get some error reading disc when I try to boot into windows.
    I can boot up to an options menu but if I try to boot into window I get the
    error reading disc.

    Just a bit of background to this, I had clone my operatiing system onto a
    bigger
    hard drive and had been using that for a while, I created a thread here
    about it
    where I needed help do ing the clone.

    "how fast are my hard drives?" 23 aug 2012

    I am actualy back on the original drive now as the cloned drive will not
    work!!

    The drive was fine untill I tried to do a restore, perhaps aI should say why
    I wanted to
    do a restore, well when I booted up today I found my, windows setting had
    been lost,
    it was like I was new user, fairly empty desktop etc all my stuff missing
    (although it is there
    but not loaded), it just did not load my set up. It seemed to work find
    apart from that, I could
    surf the next but with basic settings, no history, bookmarks etc.

    That is why I tried a system restore but it gave an error during that and
    said the system was being shut down.
    I have never been able to boot from that disk since (about anhour ago).

    Hence I reconected my old drive, good job I had that to fall back on!!

    Any how I think the problem may have been when the recovery partition was
    cloned,
    however prior to the cloning the restore always seemd to have a problem or
    end in error
    but I did get a working systemback somehow after rebooting after running it.

    THe cloned drive is not connected atthe moment, it used to be a slave drive,
    I will
    try and reconect it as a slave drive and see if it still works as a clone.
    Then I may be able to fix it some
    how.

    However I do not wantt to jump into doing anything, I am just content to
    have a working system of
    some sort at the moment!! THings do run slower ont eh old drive but that is
    a minor problem.

    I think I will try and recover the new files on the old drive if I can
    connect it as slave.

    Anyhow I will leave it fro now and report back later.

    I thin the original problem may have been caused by some HP (hewelt packard)
    software that somehow
    installed it self (it a HP machine), I noticed there was someting new in the
    startup

    it was c:/hp/bin/PinToStart.bat

    I have never had that checked to run at startup before so I am not sure why
    it was
    set to run?

    Maybe it was set to run because of the origanl problem or maybe it cause it,
    I don't know.

    THis is what was in the file-

    ------------------------

    REM 3. Pins the link to the START menu
    REM 4. Checks to see if a link to this batch file
    REM exists in DEFAULT user startup folder
    REM and if not, copies it there
    REM 5. Removes the link to this batch file from
    REM the current user's startup folder
    REM so the pinning won't continue
    REM 5. Removes the link to this batch file from
    REM the ALL USERS startup folder since its
    REM only needed there on first customer
    REM boot.
    REM 6. Cleanup: Removes Run key entry and pin.bat file
    REM
    REM **************************************************************
    REM ** NOTE: ON ANY FAILURE, REG RUN KEY ENTRY IS REMOVED **
    REM **************************************************************
    REM
    REM ***********************************************
    REM This batch file is dependent on the CUEcleanup
    REM block, section BLOCK25

    REM *************************************************
    REM * GATE THIS ROUTINE... *
    REM *************************************************
    REM Gating this batch file on existence of Blocks\AllBlocks folders
    REM Gating this batch file on existence of hpsysdrv.dat file.
    REM If hpsysdrv.dat file exists, then we are at Desktop
    REM for first time post OOBE...if not, don't do anything.
    if exist c:\blocks\allblocks goto :ALLBLOCKS
    if not exist c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.dat goto :EOF
    REM ***********************************************

    REM ...else, pin and continue...
    call c:\hp\bin\hpcontxt.exe "c:\hp\bin\HP Image Zone.lnk" "pin"
    if %ERRORLEVEL% GEQ 1 CALL :BLOCKFAIL25
    echo Call to hpcontxt.exe executed... >> "c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
    echo Pinning worked as expected >> "c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
    echo ...beginning cleanup of pinning files.... >>
    "c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"

    REM ...THIS NEXT COMMAND FAILS ON SYSTEMS WITH
    REM LOCALIZED STARTUP FOLDERS IN DEFAULT USER ACCOUNT
    REM if not exist "c:\documents and settings\default user\start
    menu\programs\startup\pin.lnk" xcopy "c:\hp\bin\pin.lnk" "c:\documents and
    settings\default user\start menu\programs\startup" /y /i
    REM ...USE THIS TO ACCESS THESE STARTUP FOLDERS AND COPY THE PIN.LNK FILE
    c:\hp\bin\CopyToDef.js c:\hp\bin\pin.lnk
    if %ERRORLEVEL% GEQ 1 CALL :BLOCKFAIL25c
    echo ...verified copy Pin link in DEFAULT user Startup folder. >>
    "c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
    :NEXT25c

    if exist "%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Pin.lnk" erase /Q
    "%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Pin.lnk"
    if %ERRORLEVEL% GEQ 1 CALL :BLOCKFAIL25B
    echo ...verified remove pin link from current user's startup folder. >>
    "c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
    :NEXT25b

    if exist "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\pin.lnk" erase /Q
    "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\pin.lnk"
    if %ERRORLEVEL% GEQ 1 CALL :BLOCKFAIL25d
    echo ...verified remove pin link from ALL USERS startup folder. >>
    "c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
    :NEXT25d

    reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v PinInit /f
    if exist "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat" erase /q "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat"
    echo ...removed pininit from RUN key and removed pin.bat file. >>
    "c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
    echo ...PinToStart successfully executed ungated. >>
    "c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
    echo ======================================================== >>
    "c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"

    GOTO :EOF

    REM ERROR TRAP
    :BLOCKFAIL25
    echo Call to hpcontxt.exe failed....>> "c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
    echo Pin to Start routine aborted....>> "c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
    reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v PinInit /f
    if exist "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat" erase /q "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat"
    GOTO :EOF
    exit /b

    :BLOCKFAIL25a
    echo failed to delete current user RUN key entry for PinToStart >>
    "c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
    reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v PinInit /f
    if exist "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat" erase /q "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat"
    exit /b

    :BLOCKFAIL25b
    echo failed to erase Pin.lnk file from current user startup folder >>
    "c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
    reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v PinInit /f
    if exist "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat" erase /q "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat"
    goto :NEXT25b
    exit /b

    :BLOCKFAIL25c
    echo failed to copy Pin.lnk file to DEFAULT user startup folder >>
    "c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
    reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v PinInit /f
    if exist "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat" erase /q "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat"
    goto :NEXT25c
    exit /b

    :BLOCKFAIL25d
    echo failed to remove Pin.lnk file from ALLUSERS startup folder >>
    "c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
    reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v PinInit /f
    if exist "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat" erase /q "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat"
    goto :NEXT25d
    exit /b

    :ALLBLOCKS
    echo ALLBLOCKS folder structure exists, pinning action gated. Abort pinning
    function. >> "c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
    goto :EOF
    ------------------------------------

    Anyway I will leave it foro the time being, I need time to think about how
    to proceed!!!

    R. Giggs., Oct 19, 2012

  2. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    "R. Giggs." <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > /f
    > if exist "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat" erase /q "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat"
    > goto :NEXT25c
    > exit /b
    >
    > :BLOCKFAIL25d
    > echo failed to remove Pin.lnk file from ALLUSERS startup folder >>
    > "c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
    > reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v PinInit
    > /f
    > if exist "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat" erase /q "c:\hp\bin\pin.bat"
    > goto :NEXT25d
    > exit /b
    >
    > :ALLBLOCKS
    > echo ALLBLOCKS folder structure exists, pinning action gated. Abort
    > pinning function. >> "c:\hp\drivers\CUEcleanup.log"
    > goto :EOF
    > ------------------------------------
    >

    > Anyway I will leave it foro the time being, I need time to think about how

    Well I think I will leave it untill tomorrow before Itry anything least not
    because
    if I try to reboot I expect that there will be a pile of updates to install
    so that
    could take a long time. I need to havea safe reboot after that to get to a
    stable
    state which I know works otherwise I not know what was the cause of any
    probelms
    as too many things have changed.

    PC is running fne at the moment anyway, so I'm in no hurry.
    I am just thinking though, if I load the other drive on as slave maybe
    I can copy across the appropiate files or whatever. I;d like to have a go
    now out of curiosity but I think its best to wait and have a safe reboot
    with
    the updates applied before proceeding.

    R. Giggs., Oct 19, 2012

  3. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    "R. Giggs." <> wrote in message

> [...]
    >>

    >> Anyway I will leave it foro the time being, I need time to think about
    >> how to proceed!!!
    >>

    > Well I think I will leave it untill tomorrow before Itry anything least
    > not because
    > if I try to reboot I expect that there will be a pile of updates to
    > install so that
    > could take a long time. I need to havea safe reboot after that to get to a
    > stable
    > state which I know works otherwise I not know what was the cause of any
    > probelms
    > as too many things have changed.
    >
    > PC is running fne at the moment anyway, so I'm in no hurry.
    > I am just thinking though, if I load the other drive on as slave maybe
    > I can copy across the appropiate files or whatever. I;d like to have a go
    > now out of curiosity but I think its best to wait and have a safe reboot

    I just had a though I could put the 'faulty' drive into a USB housing
    a to have look at it without rebooting.

    I could prehaps just connect it up ie stick the connect ot on, but
    that sounds very dodggy!!!

    R. Giggs., Oct 19, 2012
  4. R. Giggs.

    Paul Guest

    R. Giggs. wrote:
    > "R. Giggs." <> wrote in message
    >> "R. Giggs." <> wrote in message
    >>> OK basically, I tried a system restore or recover and now when I try
    >>> to boot up a get some error reading disc when I try to boot into windows.
    >>> I can boot up to an options menu but if I try to boot into window I get
    >>> the error reading disc.

    At the rate that you're trying things, soon none of the disks
    will be working, and you'll have come to a complete stop :)

    Don't be in too much of a rush.

    First of all, for an OS-specific question, there are more
    newsgroups available to you than "alt.computer". For example,
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general is a group for WinXP questions.
    And alt.windows7.general (not available on all news servers)
    is used for Windows 7 questions. Allow enough time for someone
    to draft a reply to you. In some cases, depending on the level
    of detail, it might take a person a couple hours to think of
    a strategy to use. There's a big difference between
    working directly at a computer keyboard, versus remotely
    controlling someone else to do the same thing at a distance.

    Your first line of defense, is a good backup strategy. Copying
    your main operating disk, to an external disk. As then, if there
    is a "melt down", you have some options. You also have the
    option of doing that, to the "half damaged" disk, so that
    if your "repairs" make things worse, you can get back
    to a more stable point and then try something else.
    Backups are always your friend, no matter when you do them.

    The OS does have "System Restore", which among other things,
    keeps a copy of the Registry files. For corruptions involving
    the Registry, that's one good resource to have around.

    But any repair is not going to work very well, if the hard
    drive is not 100% healthy. Hard drives can die at any time.
    I've read posts from people buying new 1TB or 2TB drives,
    where the drive fails in a couple of days. Sometimes, you
    get "hints" from the drive (stalls, choppy performance),
    and checking the SMART stats may also hint that soon
    you'll be losing everything.

    http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe

    That tool has a "Health" window. You look for these
    two particular statistics. And check the Data field to see
    if it has gone to a non-zero value. If so, then post back
    the particular.

    Current Worst Threshold Data Status
    Reallocated Sector Count 100 100 97 0 <----
    Current Pending Sector 100 100 0 0 <----

    Each disk drive maker, has test programs you can use to test
    the disks. It's good to acquire these tools when the disk is
    new and has no data on it, then make yourself familiar with
    how to run a test.

    If could be, that no amount of repair work will be effective,
    if there is an underlying hardware problem. So at least
    do some checks to make sure you have "good material" to work
    with.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 20, 2012
  5. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > R. Giggs. wrote:
    >> "R. Giggs." <> wrote in message
    >>> "R. Giggs." <> wrote in message

    > At the rate that you're trying things, soon none of the disks
    > will be working, and you'll have come to a complete stop :)
    >
    > Don't be in too much of a rush.

    I have not actually tried anything yet other than the system restore, that
    is all
    I basically tried and I got that 'fix' from microsoft or whatever.

    Eitherway a system restore should not have made teh drive unbootable really.

    > First of all, for an OS-specific question, there are more
    > newsgroups available to you than "alt.computer". For example,
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general is a group for WinXP questions.
    > And alt.windows7.general (not available on all news servers)
    > is used for Windows 7 questions. Allow enough time for someone
    > to draft a reply to you. In some cases, depending on the level
    > of detail, it might take a person a couple hours to think of
    > a strategy to use. There's a big difference between
    > working directly at a computer keyboard, versus remotely
    > controlling someone else to do the same thing at a distance.

    OK as I said I have not tried anything other than the system restore, or
    maybe
    I took a risk with that but the PC was fine apart from not loading my
    settings and as I said the ssystem restore should not have made the system
    worse
    should it, I mean that is the last thing it should do!!!

    > Your first line of defense, is a good backup strategy. Copying
    > your main operating disk, to an external disk. As then, if there
    > is a "melt down", you have some options. You also have the
    > option of doing that, to the "half damaged" disk, so that
    > if your "repairs" make things worse, you can get back
    > to a more stable point and then try something else.
    > Backups are always your friend, no matter when you do them.

    Well I did ifact have a back-up, my previous system drive, maybe that
    is why I 'dived in' with the system restore, I knew worse case I coud
    always us the drive I am currently using.

    > The OS does have "System Restore", which among other things,
    > keeps a copy of the Registry files. For corruptions involving
    > the Registry, that's one good resource to have around.

    Again I am not 100% sure what I did, I may have done a system recovery
    which is different from a system restore???

    > But any repair is not going to work very well, if the hard
    > drive is not 100% healthy. Hard drives can die at any time.
    > I've read posts from people buying new 1TB or 2TB drives,
    > where the drive fails in a couple of days. Sometimes, you
    > get "hints" from the drive (stalls, choppy performance),
    > and checking the SMART stats may also hint that soon
    > you'll be losing everything.

    Yes I kind of appreciate that although the chance of a drive error hitting

    Anyhow what I plan on doing is powering down and putting
    the problemm drive back on a slave ( it was originally a slave drive
    to this drive).
    Then I can have a look at the drive and see what kind of shape it is
    in, oe are all the files there and do some sort of chkdsk or drive
    check on it.

    > http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe
    >
    > That tool has a "Health" window. You look for these
    > two particular statistics. And check the Data field to see
    > if it has gone to a non-zero value. If so, then post back
    > the particular.
    >
    > Current Worst Threshold Data Status
    > Reallocated Sector Count 100 100 97 0 <----
    > Current Pending Sector 100 100 0 0 <----

    I actually have this (at least I thnk I have, I recognise the data listed)!!
    You advised I got it before I think, however it is on the borken drive (lol)
    at least I cant find it here, so I have downloaded it again.

    > Each disk drive maker, has test programs you can use to test
    > the disks. It's good to acquire these tools when the disk is
    > new and has no data on it, then make yourself familiar with
    > how to run a test.
    >
    > If could be, that no amount of repair work will be effective,
    > if there is an underlying hardware problem. So at least
    > do some checks to make sure you have "good material" to work
    > with.

    Personally I do not think there is anything physically wrong with the
    drive, not sure why but I just think te change of it hitting a critical area
    before manifesting itself is extremely slim.

    I think the are two unrelated problems, something changed some settings
    perhaps and itmay have been a monor tweak to restore them.

    The second problem the serious one is to do with the restore, as I have said
    I have always had problem with the restore, even on this working drive,
    what happens it it ends up blue screening and some error message such as
    error at 0x83e837e or something. However when I reboot I can normally
    boot up OK.
    However I don't think I have ever done a reboot on the cloned drive. Indeed
    I alway was a bit concerned about whether to recovery partition created
    by the clone program would be OK.

    I am also wondering whether I created a recover disk for the cloned drive.

    I wil have a look.

    R. Giggs., Oct 20, 2012
  6. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > R. Giggs. wrote:
    >> "R. Giggs." <> wrote in message
    >>> "R. Giggs." <> wrote in message

    > At the rate that you're trying things, soon none of the disks
    > will be working, and you'll have come to a complete stop :)
    >
    > Don't be in too much of a rush.
    >
    > First of all, for an OS-specific question, there are more
    > newsgroups available to you than "alt.computer". For example,
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general is a group for WinXP questions.
    > And alt.windows7.general (not available on all news servers)
    > is used for Windows 7 questions. Allow enough time for someone
    > to draft a reply to you. In some cases, depending on the level
    > of detail, it might take a person a couple hours to think of
    > a strategy to use. There's a big difference between
    > working directly at a computer keyboard, versus remotely
    > controlling someone else to do the same thing at a distance.
    >
    > Your first line of defense, is a good backup strategy. Copying
    > your main operating disk, to an external disk. As then, if there
    > is a "melt down", you have some options. You also have the
    > option of doing that, to the "half damaged" disk, so that
    > if your "repairs" make things worse, you can get back
    > to a more stable point and then try something else.
    > Backups are always your friend, no matter when you do them.
    >
    > The OS does have "System Restore", which among other things,
    > keeps a copy of the Registry files. For corruptions involving
    > the Registry, that's one good resource to have around.
    >
    > But any repair is not going to work very well, if the hard
    > drive is not 100% healthy. Hard drives can die at any time.
    > I've read posts from people buying new 1TB or 2TB drives,
    > where the drive fails in a couple of days. Sometimes, you
    > get "hints" from the drive (stalls, choppy performance),
    > and checking the SMART stats may also hint that soon
    > you'll be losing everything.
    >
    > http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe
    >
    > That tool has a "Health" window. You look for these
    > two particular statistics. And check the Data field to see
    > if it has gone to a non-zero value. If so, then post back
    > the particular.
    >
    > Current Worst Threshold Data Status
    > Reallocated Sector Count 100 100 97 0 <----
    > Current Pending Sector 100 100 0 0 <----
    >
    > Each disk drive maker, has test programs you can use to test
    > the disks. It's good to acquire these tools when the disk is
    > new and has no data on it, then make yourself familiar with
    > how to run a test.
    >
    > If could be, that no amount of repair work will be effective,
    > if there is an underlying hardware problem. So at least
    > do some checks to make sure you have "good material" to work
    > with.
    >
    > Paul

    I do agree however I should have gone for a softer solution first before
    trying a restore.
    Firstly all the users data on my pc is stored in folders in
    c:/document_and_settings/
    there are various users, ie my normal user hp_owner and all_users,
    administrator,
    default_user, guest and one I created called test.

    Now I am unsure which user it gave me when I logged in but all the others
    are basically minimal set-up, nothing on the desktop apart from about 10
    links
    ie internet explorer, adobe, AVG firefox, quick time and a few others.

    Now I could have got my desktop back by copying hp_owners desktop into
    the user folder I was in desktop folder, that would be hal the job done
    probably.

    I think if I had copied basically everything from the hp_owner folder to
    mine
    I would be pretty much back to where I wanted to be, although that is not a
    realsolution.

    I did look in the hp_owner folder/desktop and see all my files there so it
    looked
    like something fairly simple caused it to fail to load my configuration.

    One other thing I noticed was an extra entry in the startup files which I
    mentioned
    in my first port, however that may have been created because of the failure
    rather than be a cause of it.

    One other thinig is Ihave been thinking about getting a new PC for a while,
    soit may be a good time to get another.

    Maybe this one
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/advent-dt2213-refurbished-desktop-pc-13985320-pdt.html

    It is aout £100 more than I might have wanted to spend but it seems good
    value for
    money, and worth the extra money, money is not a problem, I just don't like
    pay over the odds an best value is usually found on the lower specs but this
    one put me on an an i7 machine, which is 'right up there' speedwise.

    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz
    hasa cpu mark of 8427, my current PC is about 1000, so 8 times faster (in
    theory)..

    But anyhow I won't be doing anthing until tomorow as I don't want to reboot
    now
    rather do it when the shops are open lol. It might also want to install a
    lot of updates
    which would tie up my machine, although the updates queued for updating do
    not see
    very large.

    This PC runs fine as as it is though, it justthe drive is slower so take a
    bit longer
    to boot up, but once it is booted you don't notice much difference.

    R. Giggs., Oct 20, 2012
  7. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > R. Giggs. wrote:
    >> "R. Giggs." <> wrote in message
    >>> "R. Giggs." <> wrote in message

    > At the rate that you're trying things, soon none of the disks
    > will be working, and you'll have come to a complete stop :)
    >
    > Don't be in too much of a rush.
    >
    > First of all, for an OS-specific question, there are more
    > newsgroups available to you than "alt.computer". For example,
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general is a group for WinXP questions.
    > And alt.windows7.general (not available on all news servers)
    > is used for Windows 7 questions. Allow enough time for someone
    > to draft a reply to you. In some cases, depending on the level
    > of detail, it might take a person a couple hours to think of
    > a strategy to use. There's a big difference between
    > working directly at a computer keyboard, versus remotely
    > controlling someone else to do the same thing at a distance.
    >
    > Your first line of defense, is a good backup strategy. Copying
    > your main operating disk, to an external disk. As then, if there
    > is a "melt down", you have some options. You also have the
    > option of doing that, to the "half damaged" disk, so that
    > if your "repairs" make things worse, you can get back
    > to a more stable point and then try something else.
    > Backups are always your friend, no matter when you do them.
    >
    > The OS does have "System Restore", which among other things,
    > keeps a copy of the Registry files. For corruptions involving
    > the Registry, that's one good resource to have around.
    >
    > But any repair is not going to work very well, if the hard
    > drive is not 100% healthy. Hard drives can die at any time.
    > I've read posts from people buying new 1TB or 2TB drives,
    > where the drive fails in a couple of days. Sometimes, you
    > get "hints" from the drive (stalls, choppy performance),
    > and checking the SMART stats may also hint that soon
    > you'll be losing everything.
    >
    > http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe
    >
    > That tool has a "Health" window. You look for these
    > two particular statistics. And check the Data field to see
    > if it has gone to a non-zero value. If so, then post back
    > the particular.
    >
    > Current Worst Threshold Data Status
    > Reallocated Sector Count 100 100 97 0 <----
    > Current Pending Sector 100 100 0 0 <----
    >
    > Each disk drive maker, has test programs you can use to test
    > the disks. It's good to acquire these tools when the disk is
    > new and has no data on it, then make yourself familiar with
    > how to run a test.
    >
    > If could be, that no amount of repair work will be effective,
    > if there is an underlying hardware problem. So at least
    > do some checks to make sure you have "good material" to work
    > with.
    >
    > Paul

    Just one other thing, obviously the drive does work because it does
    read the boot.ini file

    Which has the following data in it as it was cloned from this drive.

    [boot loader]
    timeout=15
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut /usepmtimer
    C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
    c:\wubildr.mbr="Ubuntu"

    R. Giggs., Oct 20, 2012
  8. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > R. Giggs. wrote:
    >> "R. Giggs." <> wrote in message
    >>> "R. Giggs." <> wrote in message

    > At the rate that you're trying things, soon none of the disks
    > will be working, and you'll have come to a complete stop :)
    >
    > Don't be in too much of a rush.
    >
    > First of all, for an OS-specific question, there are more
    > newsgroups available to you than "alt.computer". For example,
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general is a group for WinXP questions.
    > And alt.windows7.general (not available on all news servers)
    > is used for Windows 7 questions. Allow enough time for someone
    > to draft a reply to you. In some cases, depending on the level
    > of detail, it might take a person a couple hours to think of
    > a strategy to use. There's a big difference between
    > working directly at a computer keyboard, versus remotely
    > controlling someone else to do the same thing at a distance.
    >
    > Your first line of defense, is a good backup strategy. Copying
    > your main operating disk, to an external disk. As then, if there
    > is a "melt down", you have some options. You also have the
    > option of doing that, to the "half damaged" disk, so that
    > if your "repairs" make things worse, you can get back
    > to a more stable point and then try something else.
    > Backups are always your friend, no matter when you do them.
    >
    > The OS does have "System Restore", which among other things,
    > keeps a copy of the Registry files. For corruptions involving
    > the Registry, that's one good resource to have around.
    >
    > But any repair is not going to work very well, if the hard
    > drive is not 100% healthy. Hard drives can die at any time.
    > I've read posts from people buying new 1TB or 2TB drives,
    > where the drive fails in a couple of days. Sometimes, you
    > get "hints" from the drive (stalls, choppy performance),
    > and checking the SMART stats may also hint that soon
    > you'll be losing everything.
    >
    > http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe
    >
    > That tool has a "Health" window. You look for these
    > two particular statistics. And check the Data field to see
    > if it has gone to a non-zero value. If so, then post back
    > the particular.
    >
    > Current Worst Threshold Data Status
    > Reallocated Sector Count 100 100 97 0 <----
    > Current Pending Sector 100 100 0 0 <----
    >
    > Each disk drive maker, has test programs you can use to test
    > the disks. It's good to acquire these tools when the disk is
    > new and has no data on it, then make yourself familiar with
    > how to run a test.
    >
    > If could be, that no amount of repair work will be effective,
    > if there is an underlying hardware problem. So at least
    > do some checks to make sure you have "good material" to work
    > with.
    >
    > Paul

    Well, I have now loaded the bad drive as a slave and I immediately
    notice a big problem!!!!!!!!

    There is no windows folder, indeed when I look in the root directory
    there are no files listed starting with any letter greater than 'n'.
    So last folder is 'notlisteddrivers', and last file is
    'notepadfile.txt'!!!!!!!!!

    Which is pretty weird!!!!!!

    I found this when I went to look for C:\WINDOWS\system32\config when the
    even log is stored
    but of course it is not there!!!

    It is really strange!!
    So a lot is missing, including program files, which is a lot.

    I do not understand how his can happen really, I mean the file must have
    been there for the initial minorish setting problem so it seems they all
    disappeared
    during the restore?

    But how could that happen? I mean of the file system the files are not
    stored in
    alpabetical order as far as I am aware.

    Can't understand it at all.

    A few points,

    1) I don't want to run anything on the drive because I think the info must
    still physically be there (perhaps?)
    It normally takes a long time to delete alot of data?

    2) I don't think a faulty drive would manifest a problem in alpabetical
    order?

    3) I also note the recycle bin has gone AWOL

    4) The 'good news' is that it is not that long ago snce I cloned the drive,
    looking back at my posts
    it seems I did that just after 23 august I can see that from my previous
    posts here although oddly
    some of them seem to be missing, particularly the ones when I report success
    in cloneing and running on
    the cloned drive. So that is 2 months of data lost but nothing too important
    I think.

    5) Maybe I will get that new PC tomorow!!!

    6) I notice the drive is quite full only 15gig out of 256gig free so most of
    the stuff must
    still be physically there. Is there any software to find deleted files and
    restore them?

    R. Giggs., Oct 20, 2012
  9. R. Giggs.

    Paul Guest

    R. Giggs. wrote:

    > One other thinig is Ihave been thinking about getting a new PC for a while,
    > soit may be a good time to get another.
    >
    > Maybe this one
    > http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/advent-dt2213-refurbished-desktop-pc-13985320-pdt.html

    Are you actually buying it from that page ?
    When I view that page, there's a half-rendered "Out Of Stock" button
    in the upper right. Maybe the page looks different in your browser.

    The only problem I'd have with Advent, is what kind of support
    do you get ? Does anyone answer the phone when you call their
    tech support or service ? Do they care about their customers at all ?

    I'd at least want to be sure the refurbished machine can make
    recovery media, as the first step to carry out when you get it.
    When I got my laptop, I spent two days preparing all that kinda
    crap (including a backup image of the hard drive, just to be
    sure).

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 20, 2012
  10. R. Giggs.

    Paul Guest

    R. Giggs. wrote:
> [...]

    > 2) I don't think a faulty drive would manifest a problem in alpabetical
    > order?
    >
    > 3) I also note the recycle bin has gone AWOL
    >
    > 4) The 'good news' is that it is not that long ago snce I cloned the drive,
    > looking back at my posts
    > it seems I did that just after 23 august I can see that from my previous
    > posts here although oddly
    > some of them seem to be missing, particularly the ones when I report success
    > in cloneing and running on
    > the cloned drive. So that is 2 months of data lost but nothing too important
    > I think.
    >
    > 5) Maybe I will get that new PC tomorow!!!
    >
    > 6) I notice the drive is quite full only 15gig out of 256gig free so most of
    > the stuff must
    > still be physically there. Is there any software to find deleted files and

    Do you have your Ubuntu CD handy ?

    I'd be booting up the Ubuntu, and browser the disk from
    there, and see if files "greater than N" are visible there.

    The only thing I know of, with a "taste for the absurd" like
    picking on particular file name letters, is malware. Rootkits
    have been known to hide all the files, beginning with a
    certain letter.

    I don't know of any (logical) mechanism, in terms of how the
    file system is structured, to explain a weird taste in
    file names. Even "unhide.exe" style problems, I don't
    think they're name sensitive.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 20, 2012
  11. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    > Well, I have now loaded the bad drive as a slave and I immediately
    > notice a big problem!!!!!!!!
    >
    > There is no windows folder, indeed when I look in the root directory
    > there are no files listed starting with any letter greater than 'n'.
    > So last folder is 'notlisteddrivers', and last file is
    > 'notepadfile.txt'!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > Which is pretty weird!!!!!!
    >
    > I found this when I went to look for C:\WINDOWS\system32\config when the
    > even log is stored
    > but of course it is not there!!!
    >
    > It is really strange!!
    > So a lot is missing, including program files, which is a lot.
    >
    > I do not understand how his can happen really, I mean the file must have
    > been there for the initial minorish setting problem so it seems they all
    > disappeared
    > during the restore?
    >
    > But how could that happen? I mean of the file system the files are not
    > stored in
    > alpabetical order as far as I am aware.
    >
    > Can't understand it at all.
    >
    > A few points,
    >
    > 1) I don't want to run anything on the drive because I think the info must
    > still physically be there (perhaps?)
    > It normally takes a long time to delete alot of data?
    >
    > 2) I don't think a faulty drive would manifest a problem in alpabetical
    > order?
    >
    > 3) I also note the recycle bin has gone AWOL
    >
    > 4) The 'good news' is that it is not that long ago snce I cloned the
    > drive, looking back at my posts
    > it seems I did that just after 23 august I can see that from my previous
    > posts here although oddly
    > some of them seem to be missing, particularly the ones when I report
    > success in cloneing and running on
    > the cloned drive. So that is 2 months of data lost but nothing too
    > important I think.
    >
    > 5) Maybe I will get that new PC tomorow!!!
    >
    > 6) I notice the drive is quite full only 15gig out of 256gig free so most
    > of the stuff must
    > still be physically there. Is there any software to find deleted files and
    > restore them?

    Actually I just realised there were a few important things on the desktop
    but fortunately
    the desktop is still there!!

    So I will be sepending some time recovering what I want, might also be a
    good time to do a back up!!

    R. Giggs., Oct 20, 2012
  12. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > R. Giggs. wrote:
    >
    >> One other thinig is Ihave been thinking about getting a new PC for a
    >> while,
    >> soit may be a good time to get another.
    >>
    >> Maybe this one
    >> http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/advent-dt2213-refurbished-desktop-pc-13985320-pdt.html

    > Are you actually buying it from that page ?
    > When I view that page, there's a half-rendered "Out Of Stock" button
    > in the upper right. Maybe the page looks different in your browser.

    Actually I may have clicked the wrong one, there were two one was out
    of stock so maybe I copied the wrong link I will have to check!!

    > The only problem I'd have with Advent, is what kind of support
    > do you get ? Does anyone answer the phone when you call their
    > tech support or service ? Do they care about their customers at all ?

    I don't think I every had telephone support with either of my previous
    PC's so it is not something I'd miss, HP did have pretty good suport on it's
    site though.

    Quite franklky it probably would not be that good and you are better off
    lookingon
    the net.

    > I'd at least want to be sure the refurbished machine can make
    > recovery media, as the first step to carry out when you get it.
    > When I got my laptop, I spent two days preparing all that kinda
    > crap (including a backup image of the hard drive, just to be
    > sure).

    I will have to check.

    Can't any worse than the HP recovery which wiped half the drive!!!!

    I could probably do something withmy 3 gig hard drive to make a back up,
    not really though about it much.

    R. Giggs., Oct 20, 2012
  13. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    >> It normally takes a long time to delete alot of data?
    >>
    >> 2) I don't think a faulty drive would manifest a problem in alpabetical
    >> order?
    >>
    >> 3) I also note the recycle bin has gone AWOL
    >>
    >> 4) The 'good news' is that it is not that long ago snce I cloned the
    >> drive, looking back at my posts
    >> it seems I did that just after 23 august I can see that from my previous
    >> posts here although oddly
    >> some of them seem to be missing, particularly the ones when I report
    >> success in cloneing and running on
    >> the cloned drive. So that is 2 months of data lost but nothing too
    >> important I think.
    >>
    >> 5) Maybe I will get that new PC tomorow!!!
    >>
    >> 6) I notice the drive is quite full only 15gig out of 256gig free so most
    >> of the stuff must
    >> still be physically there. Is there any software to find deleted files

    I might have one from a long time ago, I know I made a few
    not sure if you need a password but as you can't store one on a CD
    I guess I won't need one.
    There used to be a ubunto wubi partion but I forgot the password!!

    However I should be able to make a new unbuntu CD.

    > I'd be booting up the Ubuntu, and browser the disk from
    > there, and see if files "greater than N" are visible there.
    >
    > The only thing I know of, with a "taste for the absurd" like
    > picking on particular file name letters, is malware. Rootkits
    > have been known to hide all the files, beginning with a
    > certain letter.
    >
    > I don't know of any (logical) mechanism, in terms of how the
    > file system is structured, to explain a weird taste in
    > file names. Even "unhide.exe" style problems, I don't
    > think they're name sensitive.

    Yes it's very odd, I thought some other big files were missing but I
    may be mistaken, I have a lot of checking to do.

    I do not see how it is physicaly possible to delte so much stuff in a short
    period of time assuming the files are randomly scattered.

    It's really odd, maybe I have a virus but I don't recall downloading
    anything unusualy the previous day.

    But I have lot to think about, I could even try copying back the missisng
    files,
    ie windows and program files mainly and some other missing files in hte root
    directory but I need to think about it because there maybe better options.
    I am aware once I start writing to the drive I could over write stuff that
    is marked as deleted.

    That program to check the disk may write to it for example.

    Fortunatlely this drive is only 2 months older, so it's not that bad and
    most of
    my data was on the desktop and I have recovered most of that which I want.

    That clone program would work sector by sector so no alphabetical bias
    there.

    I wil have to give it some though over theneext day or to to decide what to
    do.
    I will see how it goes.

    Thanks for you input and help, it's appreciated!!

    R. Giggs., Oct 20, 2012
  14. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    ?

    >> Do you have your Ubuntu CD handy ?

    > I might have one from a long time ago, I know I made a few
    > not sure if you need a password but as you can't store one on a CD
    > I guess I won't need one.
    > There used to be a ubunto wubi partion but I forgot the password!!
    >
    > However I should be able to make a new unbuntu CD.
    >

    >> I'd be booting up the Ubuntu, and browser the disk from
    >> there, and see if files "greater than N" are visible there.
    >>
    >> The only thing I know of, with a "taste for the absurd" like
    >> picking on particular file name letters, is malware. Rootkits
    >> have been known to hide all the files, beginning with a
    >> certain letter.
    >>
    >> I don't know of any (logical) mechanism, in terms of how the
    >> file system is structured, to explain a weird taste in
    >> file names. Even "unhide.exe" style problems, I don't
    >> think they're name sensitive.

    > Yes it's very odd, I thought some other big files were missing but I
    > may be mistaken, I have a lot of checking to do.
    >
    > I do not see how it is physicaly possible to delte so much stuff in a
    > short
    > period of time assuming the files are randomly scattered.
    >
    > It's really odd, maybe I have a virus but I don't recall downloading
    > anything unusualy the previous day.
    >
    > But I have lot to think about, I could even try copying back the missisng
    > files,
    > ie windows and program files mainly and some other missing files in hte
    > root
    > directory but I need to think about it because there maybe better options.
    > I am aware once I start writing to the drive I could over write stuff that
    > is marked as deleted.
    >
    > That program to check the disk may write to it for example.
    >
    > Fortunatlely this drive is only 2 months older, so it's not that bad and
    > most of
    > my data was on the desktop and I have recovered most of that which I want.
    >
    > That clone program would work sector by sector so no alphabetical bias
    > there.
    >
    > I wil have to give it some though over theneext day or to to decide what
    > to do.
    > I will see how it goes.
    >
    > Thanks for you input and help, it's appreciated!!
    >>
    >> Paul

    Well strange thing, I found my ubuntu discs which had never really used so
    can't
    remember what was on them.
    Anyway booted on the unubtu and it did a memeory scan OK then came up
    with drive failure imminent on the faluty drive, no surprise really.
    Said press f1 for setup and f2 to continue but doing either seemed to do
    nothing,
    hung on a black screen for about 5 mins before I gave up.

    Anyhow I took ubuntu disc out and reboted, same thing happened.

    Then I disconnect drive 2 and it reboooted OK at least got to the boot menu.
    SO i reconnected it and rebooted up and I am up with the good and the bad
    drive in
    same as before.

    I am doing a chkdsk on the bad drive, past phase one on phase two but i
    remember
    that takes forever so I may have to abort. Don't think it reports error
    untill the end
    so probably best to abort and try something else.

    R. Giggs., Oct 20, 2012
  15. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    >> important I think.
    >>
    >> 5) Maybe I will get that new PC tomorow!!!
    >>
    >> 6) I notice the drive is quite full only 15gig out of 256gig free so most
    >> of the stuff must
    >> still be physically there. Is there any software to find deleted files
    >> and restore them?

    > Do you have your Ubuntu CD handy ?
    >
    > I'd be booting up the Ubuntu, and browser the disk from
    > there, and see if files "greater than N" are visible there.
    >
    > The only thing I know of, with a "taste for the absurd" like
    > picking on particular file name letters, is malware. Rootkits
    > have been known to hide all the files, beginning with a
    > certain letter.
    >
    > I don't know of any (logical) mechanism, in terms of how the
    > file system is structured, to explain a weird taste in
    > file names. Even "unhide.exe" style problems, I don't

    You were right about that PC being out of stock!!
    Too good to be true!!
    Probably just do that to get people to the store!!

    R. Giggs., Oct 20, 2012
  16. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    >> I don't know of any (logical) mechanism, in terms of how the
    >> file system is structured, to explain a weird taste in
    >> file names. Even "unhide.exe" style problems, I don't
    >> think they're name sensitive.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > You were right about that PC being out of stock!!
    > Too good to be true!!
    > Probably just do that to get people to the store!!

    Infact nearly all the refurbished
    PCs listed are unavailable apart from the
    low spec ones.

    R. Giggs., Oct 20, 2012
  17. R. Giggs.

    Paul Guest

    R. Giggs. wrote:

    > I am doing a chkdsk on the bad drive, past phase one on phase two but i
    > remember
    > that takes forever so I may have to abort. Don't think it reports error
    > untill the end
    > so probably best to abort and try something else.

    I wouldn't run CHKDSK on a disk that is demonstrating
    bad sectors.

    The only thing I would want to do with a bad disk,
    is get the data off it, as best as possible. When
    the data is copied, sector by sector to a good disk,
    then I'd run CHKDSK. If the disk is damaged, there's
    no sense doing a file by file copy, because there
    could be a lot of directory damage. Whereas a sector
    by sector copy, isn't trying to interpret the data.
    Only later, when you use other file/directory oriented
    tools, will you be finding out how really busted it is.
    But when a disk is sick, you try to get as many
    sectors of it off as possible.

    If I had to do that, I'd try something like ddrescue
    as mentioned here. The first pass of this, keeps track
    of what has been successfully copied. Subsequent passes
    are supposed to use the log file, to figure out what
    remains to be copied. In a sense, this is a "persistent"
    version of the regular "dd" copier.

    "Antonio Diaz's GNU ddrescue"

    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Damaged_Hard_Disk

    If the regular version of "dd" copies the whole disk,
    and does not stop on an error, then you don't need
    ddrescue. But if "dd" can't finish, then you know
    there is damage causing actual CRC errors. And then,
    you need to work around them, and get the data on
    either side of the sector that is really damaged
    (no longer recoverable).

    *******

    I can find other references to such a tool:

    There is a windows version of the Diaz program here, but
    it's compiled under Cygwin. I don't know how easy that
    is to set up. You might want to read up on Cygwin first.
    When I use ported tools, I usually try for a gnuwin32
    version. ( http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html )
    This one is built under Cygwin.

    http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/gnu-win32/release/ddrescue/

    There is another program here, along similar lines.
    I don't know anything about this, because I just found it.
    It has a GUI, which is a major improvement compared
    to the ddrescue command line approach.

    http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/v3/drdd.htm

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 20, 2012
  18. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > R. Giggs. wrote:
    >

    >> I am doing a chkdsk on the bad drive, past phase one on phase two but i
    >> remember
    >> that takes forever so I may have to abort. Don't think it reports error
    >> untill the end
    >> so probably best to abort and try something else.

    > I wouldn't run CHKDSK on a disk that is demonstrating
    > bad sectors.

    Well whatver the case I have ran it but I didn't tell it to
    repair anything, ie I ticked no boxes, anyhow it finished with
    and error, somethink like chkdsk failed to complete, I have had that
    error before on good drives. I think.

    > The only thing I would want to do with a bad disk,
    > is get the data off it, as best as possible.

    Well I am coopying the stuff off a bunch at a time, one copy
    failed with a crc error, that was just one one file I think,
    however I will try adn copy it again, I kow where it is approx.

    Most of what is left on the disk is off little value, well some might
    be, what I mean is this disk is only about 2 month older so most of
    it is the same. But still I will grab what I can.
    The big item on the is 83 GIG of recorded TV, mainly football which I know I
    will
    never watch agian so I am not sure why I bother.

    Also I ran diskcheckup on it, I think you recommended it before
    it's som sot of SMART tool or something but i flags up an error
    the drive is marked red as not a smart drive but I think that is because
    the drive is faulty.

    > When
    > the data is copied, sector by sector to a good disk,
    > then I'd run CHKDSK. If the disk is damaged, there's
    > no sense doing a file by file copy, because there
    > could be a lot of directory damage. Whereas a sector
    > by sector copy, isn't trying to interpret the data.
    > Only later, when you use other file/directory oriented
    > tools, will you be finding out how really busted it is.
    > But when a disk is sick, you try to get as many
    > sectors of it off as possible.

    Never done a secor by sector copy before apart from with the drive cloning.
    Most of what is missing is windows and program files which I basically have
    here already so it's more of academic interest recovering the files if I
    can.

    > If I had to do that, I'd try something like ddrescue
    > as mentioned here. The first pass of this, keeps track
    > of what has been successfully copied. Subsequent passes
    > are supposed to use the log file, to figure out what
    > remains to be copied. In a sense, this is a "persistent"
    > version of the regular "dd" copier.
    >
    > "Antonio Diaz's GNU ddrescue"
    >
    > http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Damaged_Hard_Disk
    >
    > If the regular version of "dd" copies the whole disk,
    > and does not stop on an error, then you don't need
    > ddrescue. But if "dd" can't finish, then you know
    > there is damage causing actual CRC errors. And then,
    > you need to work around them, and get the data on
    > either side of the sector that is really damaged
    > (no longer recoverable).
    >
    > *******
    >
    > I can find other references to such a tool:
    >
    > There is a windows version of the Diaz program here, but
    > it's compiled under Cygwin. I don't know how easy that
    > is to set up. You might want to read up on Cygwin first.

    Yes I think I will, it looksof interest.

    > When I use ported tools, I usually try for a gnuwin32
    > version. ( http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html )
    > This one is built under Cygwin.
    >
    > http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/gnu-win32/release/ddrescue/
    >
    > There is another program here, along similar lines.
    > I don't know anything about this, because I just found it.
    > It has a GUI, which is a major improvement compared
    > to the ddrescue command line approach.
    >
    > http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/v3/drdd.htm
    >
    > Paul

    Thanks for all that, I will look into it, one thing I am unsure if I
    mentioned
    is I tried some undelete files software, something called recuva, I am not
    sur if
    you recomended it or not but anyway it did not seem to find anything of
    interest
    just some stuff I deleted agas ago, and nothing that looked like what was
    missing.

    Anyway I have been thinking about what is missing and how it went missing,
    I don't really know much about the file system at all but it does seem from
    what has
    happened that the files are stored in abcdef order and that something has
    'splatted'
    over the middle.
    I tried reading about the NTFS but it's not easy to read unless I can find a
    simple
    esailly explained explaination I can under stand.

    Anyway I was going to get a new PC today but it looks like the choice is
    severly limited.

    I was woried about being left without a PC,
    However as this seems to be a physical problem I am less worried, if I have
    problems with this drive the syetm restyore or recovery should work.

    Here is one of my best options for a PC
    http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Computer-Base-Units/buy-HP-P6-2364EA-Computer-Base-Unit/124470

    It's HP and I could pick it up today I think, but it is unclear, it says
    available in my area
    but they may mean for delivery.
    Small hard drive, 500gb and only 4gb memory. But you can upgrade those I
    suppose.

    R. Giggs., Oct 20, 2012
  19. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > R. Giggs. wrote:
    >
    >> One other thinig is Ihave been thinking about getting a new PC for a
    >> while,
    >> soit may be a good time to get another.
    >>
    >> Maybe this one
    >> http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/advent-dt2213-refurbished-desktop-pc-13985320-pdt.html

    > Are you actually buying it from that page ?
    > When I view that page, there's a half-rendered "Out Of Stock" button
    > in the upper right. Maybe the page looks different in your browser.
    >
    > The only problem I'd have with Advent, is what kind of support
    > do you get ? Does anyone answer the phone when you call their
    > tech support or service ? Do they care about their customers at all ?
    >
    > I'd at least want to be sure the refurbished machine can make
    > recovery media, as the first step to carry out when you get it.
    > When I got my laptop, I spent two days preparing all that kinda
    > crap (including a backup image of the hard drive, just to be
    > sure).
    >
    > Paul

    Yes although I kind of dismissed that earlier it is becoming more of a
    concern.
    I have only every had HP, so it is a bit of a step into the dark for me.
    My brother was always re-installing his operating system when he had
    problems,
    I guess he did not have a recovery facility, I wondered why had never done
    that.

    So I am not sure what to get and what I wanted to after looking the second
    time
    is not available to pick up from the store so I would not be getting it
    today anyway.

    Looking at the ones for around £450 here
    http://www.comet.co.uk/c/Desktop-Co...ts/1947#!No=12&N=1947&Ns=P_Price|0&perPage=12

    Don't think I will be able to get an i7 without a big price hike giving poor
    value.
    I need to go down and see what they actualy havein stock I suppose.

    R. Giggs., Oct 20, 2012
  20. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > R. Giggs. wrote:
    >

    >> I am doing a chkdsk on the bad drive, past phase one on phase two but i
    >> remember
    >> that takes forever so I may have to abort. Don't think it reports error
    >> untill the end
    >> so probably best to abort and try something else.

    > I wouldn't run CHKDSK on a disk that is demonstrating
    > bad sectors.
    >
    > The only thing I would want to do with a bad disk,
    > is get the data off it, as best as possible. When
    > the data is copied, sector by sector to a good disk,
    > then I'd run CHKDSK. If the disk is damaged, there's
    > no sense doing a file by file copy, because there
    > could be a lot of directory damage. Whereas a sector
    > by sector copy, isn't trying to interpret the data.
    > Only later, when you use other file/directory oriented
    > tools, will you be finding out how really busted it is.
    > But when a disk is sick, you try to get as many
    > sectors of it off as possible.
    >
    > If I had to do that, I'd try something like ddrescue
    > as mentioned here. The first pass of this, keeps track
    > of what has been successfully copied. Subsequent passes
    > are supposed to use the log file, to figure out what
    > remains to be copied. In a sense, this is a "persistent"
    > version of the regular "dd" copier.
    >
    > "Antonio Diaz's GNU ddrescue"
    >
    > http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Damaged_Hard_Disk
    >
    > If the regular version of "dd" copies the whole disk,
    > and does not stop on an error, then you don't need
    > ddrescue. But if "dd" can't finish, then you know
    > there is damage causing actual CRC errors. And then,
    > you need to work around them, and get the data on
    > either side of the sector that is really damaged
    > (no longer recoverable).
    >
    > *******
    >
    > I can find other references to such a tool:
    >
    > There is a windows version of the Diaz program here, but
    > it's compiled under Cygwin. I don't know how easy that
    > is to set up. You might want to read up on Cygwin first.
    > When I use ported tools, I usually try for a gnuwin32
    > version. ( http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html )
    > This one is built under Cygwin.
    >
    > http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/gnu-win32/release/ddrescue/
    >
    > There is another program here, along similar lines.
    > I don't know anything about this, because I just found it.
    > It has a GUI, which is a major improvement compared
    > to the ddrescue command line approach.
    >
    > http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/v3/drdd.htm
    >
    > Paul

    LOL!! I can't believe my eyes!!!

    I was just googling lost file, in particular "half folder missing" and I
    came across this:-

    http://www.pchell.com/support/unhidefiles.shtml

    Which says:-
    ===============
    To Unhide files and folders that Windows Diagnostic, Windows XP Restore and
    other malware hide

    For Windows XP

    1) Click on Start, Run
    2) Type CMD and press Enter
    3) At the command prompt type the following and press Enter

    CD \

    4) Now the command prompt should show the root folder of the hard drive.
    Most likely C:\
    5) At the command prompt type the following and press Enter

    ATTRIB -H *.* /S /D

    This command will unhide the files that are currently hidden. Because the
    important system files have a system attribute attached to them as well, the
    above command will not work for them and they will be skipped and kept
    hidden from prying eyes.

    This command will take some time, so dont be afraid if it takes anywhere
    from a few minutes to half an hour to finish. What the command does is
    simple. It removes the hidden attribute from all files on the hard drive.
    The /S parameter tells it to search the current folder and all subfolders,
    while the /D parameter processes tthe folders as well.

    6) Type Exit and press Enter when the procedure is complete. Then reboot
    your computer

    Anyhow, I didn't do all that I just ran CMD and went to G: where all the
    missing files
    were, then I typed DIR and all the files seem to be there!!!

    Do I didn't really do anything other than do a DIR on the damaged folder!?

    When I look again from windows all the files are listed as well!!

    R. Giggs., Oct 20, 2012