Problem with SP2 and nvidia geforce 2 gts

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ma, Sep 4, 2004.

  1. ma

    ma Guest

    I have a Dell Dimension 4100. It has run windows xp for 3 years now. I
    recently downloaded sp2 for xp. Everything seems to work fine except when I
    try to change the wallpaper on the desktop. As soon as I click on "browse"
    to look for the new wallpaper file I want to use I get an error message

    "run a dll as an app has encountered a problem"

    The display then freezes/slows down a little - but is not a major problem -
    I just cant change my wallpaper and am worried something else may go wrong.

    From looking on the net I think the problem is linked to my display adapter
    but I'm not competent enough to figure out what I can do about it - if
    anything. I have checked that the latest driver is installed - and I think
    it is. It is;

    Driver 5.2.1.6 dated October 2003.

    Please help. Thanks

    display adapters NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS NVIDIA
    floppy disk controllers Standard floppy disk controller (Standard
    floppy disk controllers)
    floppy disk drives Floppy disk drive (Standard floppy disk drives)
    IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers Intel(r) 82801BA Bus Master IDE Controller
    Intel
    Primary IDE Channel (Standard IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers)
    Secondary IDE Channel

    ma, Sep 4, 2004

  2. ma

    Unk Guest

    On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 08:08:09 +0100, "ma" <> wrote:

    >I have a Dell Dimension 4100. It has run windows xp for 3 years now. I
    >recently downloaded sp2 for xp. Everything seems to work fine except when I
    >try to change the wallpaper on the desktop. As soon as I click on "browse"
    >to look for the new wallpaper file I want to use I get an error message
    >
    >"run a dll as an app has encountered a problem"
    >
    >The display then freezes/slows down a little - but is not a major problem -
    >I just cant change my wallpaper and am worried something else may go wrong.
    >
    >From looking on the net I think the problem is linked to my display adapter
    >but I'm not competent enough to figure out what I can do about it - if
    >anything. I have checked that the latest driver is installed - and I think
    >it is. It is;
    >
    >Driver 5.2.1.6 dated October 2003.
    >
    >Please help. Thanks
    >

    > display adapters NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS NVIDIA
    > floppy disk controllers Standard floppy disk controller (Standard
    >floppy disk controllers)
    > floppy disk drives Floppy disk drive (Standard floppy disk drives)
    > IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers Intel(r) 82801BA Bus Master IDE Controller
    >Intel
    > Primary IDE Channel (Standard IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers)
    > Secondary IDE Channel

    Download & install the latest drivers even if they are the same as you
    already have. Yours may be corrupt.

    http://support.dell.com/support/dow...mID=DIM_PNT_P3C_4100&category=6&os=WW1&osl=EN

    Unk, Sep 4, 2004

  3. I highly doubt this has anything to do with your video card, but you may
    want to update those drivers. nVidia just released new drivers (not
    even on their website yet) and you can get them here:

    I have a feeling your problem has something to do with a bad install of
    SP2 or something that conflicted with SP2 that you had previously
    installed on your computer. Make sure to scan your computer for Malware
    and viruses. Ad-Aware from www.lavasoftusa.com is good for malware and
    you can do the online scan for viruses from www.antivirus.com ;)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty