    Can I install Windows using this, and if so what is the process?

    Thanks

    WAL
    WAL, Dec 4, 2006

  2. WAL

    Mr. Arnold6 Guest

    WAL wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I reinstalled Windows XP and started to install SP1. Windows was
    > installed okay, but the install of SP1 crashed part way through and
    > this has corrupted the system, such that the CD Rom won't work. As a
    > result, I can't do a clean reinstall windows from the XP CD to start
    > over again.
    >
    > 1. Can I deinstall SP1 and will this fix matters?
    > 2. Will it cause any further damage doing this?
    > 3. Is the only alternative to get the 4 reinstall floppies from
    > Microsoft (which is time consuming and costly)?
    > 4. I have a USB DVD read writer and CDs can still be read from this.
    > Can I install Windows using this, and if so what is the process?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > WAL

    SP's are accumulative. So why are you using SP1 when SP2 has everything
    SP1 had in it?

    You should search Google on *how to boot from the Windows XP install CD*
    and do the install of the O/S.
    Mr. Arnold6, Dec 4, 2006

  3. WAL

    Ron Guest

    You can download the install floppies from microsoft.
    You could go into bios and see if you have the option to boot from usb, or
    any option that will see the usb at startup.
    Yes you can install from an external.
    Ron

    Ron, Dec 4, 2006
  4. WAL

    WAL Guest

    I installed SP1 because I was unaware that SP2 contained everything in
    SP1 (rather too logically I assumed that since both packs were still
    available for download from Microsoft that for full coverage you needed
    both - hey it isn't obvious and I ain't got time to read the blurb so I
    probably missed it. LOL).

    I couldn't de-install SP1 (despite Microsoft's website saying that it
    was simply a case of going to "Add/Remove Programs" in the control
    panel), so I altered the boot sequence in the BIOS and tried reloading
    Windows from the USB DVD drive I have. Sadly it got half way through
    the load and crashed.

    I am presently going along the floppy disk route.

    Thanks for the assistance though guys

    Regards

    WAL

    WAL, Dec 5, 2006
  5. WAL

    Brian Guest

    This is from the MS Knowledgebase site. Did you check there before posting
    in a newsgroup? Not that I mind answering but you might have found a quicker
    answe had you checked that first

    Brian

    Removing a Service Pack
    You can remove Windows XP SP1 by using the Add or Remove Programs tool in
    Control Panel or by running the uninstallation program from a command
    prompt. Notes about removing a service pack: .You cannot remove a service
    pack that you installed in Integrated mode.
    ..If you used the -n parameter when you ran Servicepack.exe, you cannot
    remove the service pack.
    ..If you install any programs or services that require or have fixes that are
    contained in the service pack, removal of the service pack may adversely
    affect those programs.
    ..Do not remove the service pack if you have installed any programs since you
    installed the service pack.
    ..Do not remove the service pack if it contains system updates such as file
    format, database format, and registry format changes that Setup cannot
    remove.
    To uninstall a service pack by using the Add or Remove Programs tool in
    Control Panel: 1.In Control Panel, double-click Add or Remove Programs,
    click ServicePack.exe, and then click Change/Remove.
    2.Follow the instructions on the screen.
    To uninstall a service pack from a command prompt: .Click Start, click Run,
    type cmd, and then click OK.
    ..Change to the c:\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst folder.
    ..Type Spuninst.exe, and then press ENTER.
    ..Type exit, and then press ENTER.
    Brian, Dec 9, 2006