Problem with some installers

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Patrick Schönbach, Jan 18, 2010.

  1. Hello,

    I am using Win 7 Ultimate x64. Since recently, I am having a problem
    with some installers (not all). It seems that all installers that cause
    problems are

    a) UPX packed
    b) based on InstallShield

    When starting the installer, I first get:

    "Insufficient free disk space" (I have over 3TB free though!)

    and then:

    "Cannot prepare main package.
    Probably incorrect TMP/TEMP variables or there is no execute
    permission for temporary folder."

    The variables TMP and TEMP are set correctly and execute permissions are
    set for the temporary folder. So, the error message seems to be
    misleading.

    But, what else could be the problem? How to narrow the problem down?

    --
    Regards,
    Patrick

    --
    email:
    PGP public key available. Key ID: 0B7DDE39
    Patrick Schönbach, Jan 18, 2010

  2. Patrick Schönbach

    Carlos Guest

    Patrick,
    Try running the installer as administrator.
    Moreover, 16-bit based installers will not install on x64.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 18, 2010

  3. Patrick Schönbach

    James Kosin Guest

    On 1/18/2010 6:46 AM, Patrick Schönbach wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am using Win 7 Ultimate x64. Since recently, I am having a problem
    > with some installers (not all). It seems that all installers that cause
    > problems are
    >
    > a) UPX packed
    > b) based on InstallShield
    >
    > When starting the installer, I first get:
    >
    > "Insufficient free disk space" (I have over 3TB free though!)

    What Carlos said... and some installers don't like that much free space.
    I don't remember when but, even with 300GB to 500GB free you could end
    up with problems.

    Have you tried creating a smaller separate partition to install the
    software to?

    It could be that it is a 16-bit installer....

    James
    James Kosin, Jan 19, 2010
  4. Patrick Schönbach

    Donahoo Guest

    Just curious, how do you know if you have a 16-bit installer or a 32-bit
    isntaller? For that matter, how do you tell 32-bit software from 16-bit
    software?

    Donahoo, Jan 19, 2010
  5. Patrick Schönbach

    Carlos Guest

    Donahoo,
    Can't help you here.
    Usually 16-bit installers yield this error
    "the image file ... is valid, but is for a machine type other than the
    current machine"
    when running it on a 64-bit OS.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 19, 2010
  6. Patrick Schönbach

    Tom Guest

    One way to tell, is to check the properties of the file (right click on
    file, properties) and it won't have (anything regarding) a version tab or
    version history.

    Tom, Jan 19, 2010
  7. Patrick Schönbach

    Donahoo Guest

    Thank you Tom, I didn't know 16-bit stuff didn't have versions. I have
    one program I would really like to run on this computer but thought it
    was too old. Now I know how to check without trying to install it.

    Donahoo, Jan 20, 2010