    big deal but yet pisses me off that I can't fix it?

    I have recreated it many times and it still has the same result.

    XPPro SP2 and IE6.? Comcast BB thru nat router
    Wizard, Oct 29, 2004

  2. Wizard

    Robert Baer Guest

    Wizard wrote:

    > I have a url shortcut on my desktop to the login page of my broker. It
    > is unchanged and has worked for a couple of years. Recently it has
    > started to not connect on first try but works on the second one. Refresh
    > also works every time.
    >
    > It seems like there is a stale cached file somewhere but I have cleaned
    > out everything I can find. Cookies, temp internet files etc.
    >
    > Does anyone have a clue what might be causing this behavior. It is not a
    > big deal but yet pisses me off that I can't fix it?
    >
    > I have recreated it many times and it still has the same result.
    >
    > XPPro SP2 and IE6.? Comcast BB thru nat router

    Look at and write down *exactly* what the URL is in that shortcut
    (Properties, i think will show it).
    Then successfully log to the desired place for your broker login, and
    you may see a small difference.
    Robert Baer, Oct 30, 2004

  3. Wizard

    Wizard Guest

    Nope; identical.

    Wizard, Oct 30, 2004
  4. Wizard

    Robert Baer Guest

    Wizard wrote:

    > Nope; identical.
    >
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    > >
    > > Wizard wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I have a url shortcut on my desktop to the login page of my broker. It
    > > > is unchanged and has worked for a couple of years. Recently it has
    > > > started to not connect on first try but works on the second one. Refresh
    > > > also works every time.
    > > >
    > > > It seems like there is a stale cached file somewhere but I have cleaned
    > > > out everything I can find. Cookies, temp internet files etc.
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone have a clue what might be causing this behavior. It is not a
    > > > big deal but yet pisses me off that I can't fix it?
    > > >
    > > > I have recreated it many times and it still has the same result.
    > > >
    > > > XPPro SP2 and IE6.? Comcast BB thru nat router

    > > Look at and write down *exactly* what the URL is in that shortcut
    > > (Properties, i think will show it).
    > > Then successfully log to the desired place for your broker login, and
    > > you may see a small difference.

    Since you looked at the other possibilities, that was the only other
    item i could think of.
    At this point, i have no clue; very puzzling & hair-pulling.

    The only other thing i can think of that may help is:
    1) Start with totally empty cache file - even if you have to directly
    delete it on the HD (i understand that IE does not delete cookies (or
    not all of them) when asked to do so.
    2) Use shortcut and watch it fail, then use Refresh.
    At this point, Netscape tools can be used to look at all of the cookie
    attributes (and each cookie entry has a goodly bunch); hopefully IE has
    a similar utility.
    Since they are in chronological order, the nature and order of cookie
    attributes for each one (hopefully only two similar ones), may give a
    clue.
    **
    It really would be nice if all of that cookie info could be directly
    printed out...
    Robert Baer, Oct 31, 2004