Problem with sharing files between computers

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by teitel, Aug 25, 2009.

  1. teitel

    teitel Guest

    I am brand new to networking. I have got my home computer set up with a
    router attached by an ethernet cable into my modem. I then have an ethernet
    cable into my desktop. My laptop has a wireless card and I can connect just
    fine to the internet. But I cannot share any files and folders between
    computers. I have tried the network wizard numerous times but I am still not
    able to share anything. In fact I cannot even get it to show a wireless
    network on either computer.

    I am running XP with service pack 3 and I am also using Windows Live One
    Care for my virus protection.

    I have tried looking through past questions to figure out the answer but
    like I said, I am new to networking and I am getting confused. I am thinking
    my problem might be with my firewall but I am not really sure. I have turned
    off the firewall that is generically installed in XP. I went to go and
    change the settings for the firewall in Windows Live One Care but that was
    when I got lost.

    Any help you can give would be great!
    Teresa

    teitel, Aug 25, 2009

  2. It could be OneCare issue. For troubleshooting boot safe mode with network,
    can you ping each other?

    --
    Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\), Aug 25, 2009

  3. On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 19:45:16 -0400, "jpsga" <> wrote:

    >"teitel" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I am brand new to networking. I have got my home computer set up with a
    >> router attached by an ethernet cable into my modem. I then have an
    >> ethernet
    >> cable into my desktop. My laptop has a wireless card and I can connect
    >> just
    >> fine to the internet. But I cannot share any files and folders between
    >> computers. I have tried the network wizard numerous times but I am still
    >> not
    >> able to share anything. In fact I cannot even get it to show a wireless
    >> network on either computer.
    >>
    >> I am running XP with service pack 3 and I am also using Windows Live One
    >> Care for my virus protection.
    >>
    >> I have tried looking through past questions to figure out the answer but
    >> like I said, I am new to networking and I am getting confused. I am
    >> thinking
    >> my problem might be with my firewall but I am not really sure. I have
    >> turned
    >> off the firewall that is generically installed in XP. I went to go and
    >> change the settings for the firewall in Windows Live One Care but that was
    >> when I got lost.
    >>
    >> Any help you can give would be great!
    >> Teresa

    >Every time I read a message like this I am reminded that the workgroup on
    >the the machines must be the same and and somthing hast to be shared on each
    >machine.
    >JPS

    Using the same workgroup on each machine makes networking a little
    easier, and it might help a little here, but it isn't necessary. A
    network can have multiple workgroups, and a computer in any workgroup
    can access a computer in any workgroup.

    Workgroups serve no practical purpose in Windows XP/Vista/7. In
    Windows 95/98/Me, they determine which computers appear in Network
    Neighborhood. But even those systems work fine with multiple
    workgroups in a network.
    --
    Best Wishes,
    Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Steve Winograd [MS-MVP], Aug 26, 2009
  4. teitel

    Dawn Guest

    So I was wondering if there was a resolution to this issue. I am having the
    same problem. I do think it is Windows One Care because I can ping when I
    turn of the Windows one care. How can I fix it?

    Dawn, Oct 11, 2009