Problem with SanDisk CF reader SDDR-91

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rick, Jun 20, 2004.

  1. Rick

    Rick Guest

    I recently bought the SanDisk ImageMate CF card reader SDDR-91, and am
    having a problem with it. It seems to have corrupted the 32Mb card
    that came with my Canon A75 digital camera, or at least has stopped
    working with it. Luckily I had already downloaded the pictures to my
    PC via the camera, and was attempting to write a new jpg file to the
    card. The card somehow became corrupted in that the photos that were
    on the card were no longer accessible, and the new jpg file (modified
    photo) I had written to the card became corrupted as well. I
    re-formatted the card in the camera, and now have the following
    scenario: I boot up my PC, insert the card into the reader, and copy
    the jpg file to the card. I can then view the photo just fine in
    various applications. I next bring up Windows Explorer, right-click
    on the drive that represents the reader, and select "Eject". The
    green light on the reader goes on and stays on forever. If I pull the
    card out at this point and try to use it, the jpg files is corrupted.
    If I pull the card out without doing an "Eject", the file ends up
    corrupted. So basically, even though it appears I can copy the file
    to the card and view it from the card, once I remove the card, the
    file ends up corrupted. (Note that this is on a Win98SE system).

    I am thinking of returning the reader and getting a different brand
    (suggestions???), but maybe there's something I'm doing wrong here.
    Thanks for your thoughts!

    ~ Rick

    Rick, Jun 20, 2004

  2. Rick

    bagal Guest

    Yes a couple

    1st - upgrade to Windows XP if you can - it really does make life a bit
    easier

    2nd - wait until Windows XP 64 bit is released then upgrade to a 64 bit
    operating system

    3rd - in the meantime check that all the relevant drivers have been
    installed, check if new drivers for the card are at the manufacturers
    website

    4th - erm, my card reader has 2 lights. One for power (stays on when the
    power is on) and the other for read-write right light activity

    I make a point of using right-click on all removable media just as (to me) a
    principle of good practice

    das B

    bagal, Jun 20, 2004

  3. Rick

    B. Peg Guest

    Was the card that came with your Canon a SanDisk card? Mine was bad,
    occasionally hard to get it to read and format. The smallish Lock switch on
    the side seemed to be some of the problem. I doubt if it is the reader.

    When I finally suspected that card, I e-mailed SanDisk. They responded by
    asking the serial number off it and where it was made. Once I did that, I
    got a pre-paid e-mailed label with instructions to return it to them. Got a
    new card and no problems since.

    There is some site out there that lists the cards suspect to failure and
    their serial numbers. I can't find it now. Never bookmarked it.

    B~

    B. Peg, Jun 20, 2004
  4. Rick

    bagal Guest

    Dodgy cards?

    Try http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/index.php some guys there are experts with
    cards (usually PDA & GPS combos but experts nonetheless - different
    application but similar processes)

    das B

    bagal, Jun 20, 2004
  5. Rick

    bagal Guest

    erm? the brits do it again?

    bagal, Jun 20, 2004
  6. Rick

    Guest

    On 20 Jun 2004 11:10:14 -0700, (Rick) wrote:

    >I recently bought the SanDisk ImageMate CF card reader SDDR-91,

    <snip>

    > (Note that this is on a Win98SE system).

    Rick,

    If I remember right, my SanDisk CF reader on my Win98 system had an
    icon in the taskbar. I always used that to eject the card, not Windows
    Explorer. Otherwise I got blue screens. My Win98 laptop with its
    PCMCIA CF adapter came with warnings all over the place to always use
    the icon for ejecting, too.

    HTH
    Duncan

    , Jun 21, 2004
  7. Rick

    Don Guest

    I don't think you want to use "eject." There is no guarantee that the write
    buffer has been fully written to the card that way. You want to use the
    icon labeled "safely remove hardware" in the tray, instead. While that's
    available in Windoze 98SE, it may not automatically install.

    You might consdider an upgrade to WinXP. While I'm no fan of M$, they are
    closer to a workable system (except for bloat) with XP that with earlier
    versions. With XP the "safely remove hardware" icon will automatically
    install in the tray.

    Don

    Don, Jun 21, 2004
  8. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Thanks for the responses! To address a couple of questions:

    1) Moving to XP is not an option any time soon. My hardware is not
    all compatible, and I'm not going to build another system just to get
    a $20 CF card reader to work ;-)

    2) My reader has only 1 LED, a green one on the top of the unit, a
    little toward the rear. The documentation that came with the reader
    also has no mention of any color other than green.

    3) The card that came with the camera just says its a Canon 32Mb card.
    I don't see any other markings on it.

    Here's another interesting point. I put the card back into the camera
    and took a few test shots. I then removed the card and put it into
    the reader, and copied the jpg files from the reader to my PC. If I
    try to display the pictures in the software that came with the camera,
    I can see a thumbnail of each pictute just fine, but the software
    shows an error when I try to display the full picture. If I use
    another software program, it either won't display the image at all
    (stating an error message), or displays the photo all garbled up.

    Now the interesting part. I put the card back into the camera and
    download the jpg photos via the camera onto my PC. Now they display
    perfectly in all software! So it seems to me that somehow reading and
    writing via the SanDisk reader does not work well.

    Thanks again for your thoughts!

    ~ Rick

    Rick, Jun 21, 2004
  9. Rick

    Rick Guest

    I gave up on the SanDisk reader, returned it and then purchased a
    Dazzle CF reader. Although it doesn't appear to be as solid as the
    SanDisk reader, and has a much shorter cord :-(, so far it has worked
    perfectly. Keeping fingers crossed...

    ~ Rick

    Rick, Jun 22, 2004