Problem with SanDisk 4GB Ultra II compact flash card

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Feb 21, 2005.

  1. Hi,
    I bought a Lexar Ultra II 4 GBytes compact flash
    card, and put it in my Canon 1D Mark II camera.
    It showed only 2 GB. I put it in my flash card reader
    on my PC. It showed only 2 GBytes. I reformatted
    it in the camera and it still showed only 2 GBytes.

    I have several Lexar 40 and 80x 4 GByte cards and
    have never had this problem.

    Documentation with the card says nothing.
    On the card it says:

    [left half circle symbol] 3. - 2GB for fat 16 SLRs
    [right half circle symbol] 2. - 2GB for fat 16 SLRs
    [full circle symbol] 4. - 4GB for fat 32 SLRs

    The 1D Mark II does fat 32 on the lexar cards.

    Does anyone know how I can get beyond the 2 GB limit?

    Roger
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Feb 21, 2005

    deacon Guest

    > Hi,
    > I bought a Lexar Ultra II 4 GBytes compact flash
    > card, and put it in my Canon 1D Mark II camera.
    > It showed only 2 GB. I put it in my flash card reader
    > on my PC. It showed only 2 GBytes. I reformatted
    > it in the camera and it still showed only 2 GBytes.
    >
    > I have several Lexar 40 and 80x 4 GByte cards and
    > have never had this problem.
    >
    > Documentation with the card says nothing.
    > On the card it says:
    >
    > [left half circle symbol] 3. - 2GB for fat 16 SLRs
    > [right half circle symbol] 2. - 2GB for fat 16 SLRs
    > [full circle symbol] 4. - 4GB for fat 32 SLRs
    >
    > The 1D Mark II does fat 32 on the lexar cards.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I can get beyond the 2 GB limit?
    >
    > Roger

    Try formatting it while it's in the card reader. It's hard to believe a 1D
    formats to Fat16, but you never know.
    deacon, Feb 21, 2005

  3. Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark) wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I bought a Lexar Ultra II 4 GBytes compact flash
    > card, and put it in my Canon 1D Mark II camera.
    > It showed only 2 GB. I put it in my flash card reader
    > on my PC. It showed only 2 GBytes. I reformatted
    > it in the camera and it still showed only 2 GBytes.
    >
    > I have several Lexar 40 and 80x 4 GByte cards and
    > have never had this problem.
    >
    > Documentation with the card says nothing.
    > On the card it says:
    >
    > [left half circle symbol] 3. - 2GB for fat 16 SLRs
    > [right half circle symbol] 2. - 2GB for fat 16 SLRs
    > [full circle symbol] 4. - 4GB for fat 32 SLRs

    typo error: the full circle position is 1 not 4.

    > The 1D Mark II does fat 32 on the lexar cards.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I can get beyond the 2 GB limit?
    >
    > Roger

    I figured it out.
    There is a switch on the side of the card to select
    the 3 positions noted above. This information should
    have been shipped with the card. It took a while digging on
    the sandisk web site to find this information.
    I finally found a pdf describing the switch. A big
    red flag is that if you change the switch position,
    to use 4 GB (from the sandisk pdf):

    "When you switch to position #1 all data on the card may
    be lost. Even if the data is not deleted, it will not be viewable
    in position #1. Please save data to a PC before
    switching to position # 1 (4 GB)."

    So what happens if in the field you accidentally switch from
    position 1 to 2 or 3? Do you lose all your images?
    Has anyone had a problem with this switch?

    The flimsy feel of the switch to me means this is the
    last one of these cards I buy.

    Roger
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Feb 21, 2005

    deacon Guest

    > I figured it out.
    > There is a switch on the side of the card to select
    > the 3 positions noted above. This information should
    > have been shipped with the card. It took a while digging on
    > the sandisk web site to find this information.
    > I finally found a pdf describing the switch. A big
    > red flag is that if you change the switch position,
    > to use 4 GB (from the sandisk pdf):
    >
    > "When you switch to position #1 all data on the card may
    > be lost. Even if the data is not deleted, it will not be viewable
    > in position #1. Please save data to a PC before
    > switching to position # 1 (4 GB)."
    >
    > So what happens if in the field you accidentally switch from
    > position 1 to 2 or 3? Do you lose all your images?
    > Has anyone had a problem with this switch?
    >
    > The flimsy feel of the switch to me means this is the
    > last one of these cards I buy.
    >
    > Roger

    That does sound rather weak, but at least you will only use it once. For the
    record, I've been using a (switchless) Ultra II 2 gig for about six months and
    have zero complaints.
    deacon, Feb 21, 2005

    Colin D Guest

    "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I bought a Lexar Ultra II 4 GBytes compact flash
    > card, and put it in my Canon 1D Mark II camera.
    > It showed only 2 GB. I put it in my flash card reader
    > on my PC. It showed only 2 GBytes. I reformatted
    > it in the camera and it still showed only 2 GBytes.
    >
    > I have several Lexar 40 and 80x 4 GByte cards and
    > have never had this problem.
    >
    > Documentation with the card says nothing.
    > On the card it says:
    >
    > [left half circle symbol] 3. - 2GB for fat 16 SLRs
    > [right half circle symbol] 2. - 2GB for fat 16 SLRs
    > [full circle symbol] 4. - 4GB for fat 32 SLRs
    >
    > The 1D Mark II does fat 32 on the lexar cards.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I can get beyond the 2 GB limit?
    >
    > Roger

    Just in case it's news, 2GB is the limit for fat16. There is probably a
    way to get the camera to format in fat 32, and the format utility in Win
    should allow you to specify fat32.

    Colin
    Colin D, Feb 22, 2005
  6. On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 13:15:06 -0700, "Roger N. Clark (change username to
    rnclark)" <> wrote:

    >So what happens if in the field you accidentally switch from
    >position 1 to 2 or 3? Do you lose all your images?
    >Has anyone had a problem with this switch?

    It's only an (educated) guess, but I'd be very surprised if you lost
    anything just by flicking the switch (unless there's a battery inside,
    there's nothing in the CF able to change the data). Provided you noticed
    (that might be the hard bit!) and returned it to the correct setting before
    putting the card in the camera or reader, I would think you'd be OK. I'd
    even hazard a guess that trying to _read_ the card while the switch is in
    the wrong position won't lose anything (but probably won't show what's on
    the card). Providing you don't try WRITING to the card (i.e. take a shot
    or format the card) there's a strong chance that you'll see your files if
    you change the switch back to the correct setting.

    Regards,
    Graham Holden, Feb 24, 2005