Problem with RjH Extensions to Windows Explorer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Richard Wright, Sep 27, 2005.

  1. For some months I have had the excellent RjH Extensions successfully
    installed on my desktop, running under XP (Home edition). The program
    extends the functions of the right mouse button when using Windows
    Explorer. You click on a file/files. Allows saving of directory list,
    path to clipboard, duplication of files, etc..

    Now I have installed it on my Acer laptop, running XP (Home edition).

    The program installs without a glitch and is visible under the "Add or
    Remove Programs" of Control Panel.

    My problem is that right clicking on a file with the mouse does not
    show any of the menu options of RjH Extensions, though the
    bog-standard Explorer items are there.

    I tried uninstalling RjH Extensions and reinstalling. But still
    nothing.

    Has anybody any suggestions about what the problem might be? I am lost
    without the program. Also welcome any suggestions about which
    Newsgroup to target.

    Richard Wright, Sep 27, 2005

  2. Richard Wright

    Johnrw

    Joined:
    May 29, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    This one got me too...

    It turns out to be data execution prevention or DEP.

    In my case, the laptop that couldn't get rjhExtensions to work was an Intel Centrino HP. My AMD machines ran it fine, but that only seems clear in hindsight. It could have been hundreds of things gone wrong in one laptop's windows.

    To get rjhExtensions to work:
    Edit the C:\boot.ini (which may be hidden unless you instruct Explorer to show hidden files, all hidden files)

    Here is what you may expect to find, or something close...
    Code:
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /NoExecute=OptIn /fastdetect

    ...and then changing it to this:
    Code:
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /NoExecute=AlwaysOff /fastdetect

    where /NoExecute=AlwaysOff
    is the value needed to demonstrate to yourself the cause of your favorite missing utility(or close)

    I can't really advise everyone to turn off DEP. I lost alot of time in tracing this one down myself, and was really peeved when I looked in the event logs and there was no mention at all about the processor/os combination refusing to allow this program to run. I was so peeved, I turned off DEP. The best case, would be for people to get the author to make a new version that doesn't have any DEP problems. An even better case would have been for Microsoft to inform me in the event logs, the reason why my program was not working.
    That was the deciding factor in my case. I cannot have a feature that breaks things without advising me of the who, what, where and when.

    Enjoy!

    EDIT: May 30, 07

    If you absolutely want DEP, and don't mind turning off DEP for just Explorer.exe, which can possibly turn out to be a very big exception...
    the page http://www.updatexp.com/dep-exceptions.html gives a complete example of how to do this. Just substitute C:\windows\system32\explorer.exe for the program example provided there.

    That example describes the gui way to use the /noexecute=OptOut option for boot.ini,
    and then manually adding a program to the list of allowed applications. If you changed your boot.ini to use /noexecute=AllwaysOff, you
    will save some time by changing it to /noexecute=OptOut before you reboot.

    Now I have hardware DEP enabled for every other program, except Explorer, and rjhExtensions is working as it does on my other machines.

    Last edited: May 30, 2007
    Johnrw, May 29, 2007

  3. Richard Wright

    nitejoekerr

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    RJH Extensions Problem

    Another option . . . use an alternative file viewer/manager such as Explorer XP. (Available here.) Right-click inside the file list panel. The RJH extensions menu option opens normally.

    Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
    nitejoekerr, Oct 14, 2008
  4. Richard Wright

    male.johnc

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Similar problem with Vista

    I have just installed rjh Extensions on a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop with Windows Vista Home Premium and Service Pack 1, 32 bit. Right-clicking brings up only the standard Windows Explorer options. I've had no similar problem with other computers using Windows XP. Any advice will be most gratefully received.

    male.johnc, Mar 18, 2009
  5. Richard Wright

    userboy

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    rjhExtensions on Windows 7

    userboy, Aug 13, 2009
  6. Richard Wright

    maxamillion

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Thanks to Johnrw for this fix. I have had trouble getting RjhExtensions to run on
    Windows XP Mode and I had forgotten about /NoExecute=AlwaysOff

    This is a wonderful utility and it is sad that the developer is no longer making the software.

    maxamillion, Oct 18, 2011