    into a cycle.

    I did this about eight times before I managed to get the machine booted
    up. Now I daren't switch it off; any idea how I can by-pass this?
    thedarkman, Mar 2, 2006

  2. thedarkman

    bigjon Guest

    On 1 Mar 2006 17:23:00 -0800, thedarkman wrote:

    > I ran Registry Mechanic earlier today; I've had no problems before with
    > the scan but the compact your registry feature appears to have screwed
    > up my system.
    >
    > When I start the machine up it goes into Microsoft Registry, identifies
    > a problem, says it will fix it after I reboot then when I do it goes
    > into a cycle.
    >
    > I did this about eight times before I managed to get the machine booted
    > up. Now I daren't switch it off; any idea how I can by-pass this?

    restore the backup registry entries from reg mechanics options ?
    --
    (\__/)
    bigjon, Mar 2, 2006

  3. thedarkman

    Plato Guest

    thedarkman wrote:

    > I ran Registry Mechanic earlier today; I've had no problems before with
    > the scan but the compact your registry feature appears to have screwed
    > up my system.

    Never compact your registry on an XP pc.

    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Mar 2, 2006
  4. thedarkman

    thedarkman Guest

    I'm using Windows 98 with DOS 4.01. The point is that when I turn on
    the machine it goes into registry mechanic, checks it, then goes into a
    loop. I really need to be able to turn the damned thing off. How do I
    go about this?

    I managed to get back into the machine but it took me literally hours,
    and I can't afford this again. Isn't there something about pressing F1
    and going into set up? Tried that but it's all Greek to me.
    thedarkman, Mar 2, 2006
  5. thedarkman

    old jon Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > thedarkman wrote:
    >>
    >> I ran Registry Mechanic earlier today; I've had no problems before with
    >> the scan but the compact your registry feature appears to have screwed
    >> up my system.

    > Never compact your registry on an XP pc.

    But he`s running Win98 <g>.

    old jon, Mar 2, 2006
  6. thedarkman

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 17:23:00 -0800, thedarkman wrote:

    > I ran Registry Mechanic earlier today; I've had no problems before with
    > the scan but the compact your registry feature appears to have screwed
    > up my system.
    >
    > When I start the machine up it goes into Microsoft Registry, identifies
    > a problem, says it will fix it after I reboot then when I do it goes
    > into a cycle.
    >
    > I did this about eight times before I managed to get the machine booted
    > up. Now I daren't switch it off; any idea how I can by-pass this?

    Reset Optimization (roll back changes to the registry)

    Meat Plow, Mar 2, 2006
  7. thedarkman

    thedarkman Guest

    Turning off Microsoft Registry Checker

    Hi, re my posts concerning this problem, I received some advice
    including

    Reset Optimization (roll back changes to the registry)

    The problem is that when I switch on the machine goes into this program
    at once. I managed to get on-line this morning in about an hour more by
    good chance than skill but what I would like to do is turn this program
    off. Can I do this safely, and how can I do it?

    I have found a file called C:\windows\command\scanreg.exe

    This is also in my autoexec.bat; can I remove this from autoexec.bat
    safely? Can I delete the actual file?

    Finally, how can I reset optimization (roll back changes to the
    registry)? although I'm not sure this will do any good.

    Thanks
    thedarkman, Mar 4, 2006
  8. thedarkman

    Dude Guest

    Re: Turning off Microsoft Registry Checker

    "thedarkman" <> wrote in message

    > Hi, re my posts concerning this problem, I received some advice
    > including
    >
    > Reset Optimization (roll back changes to the registry)
    >

    > The problem is that when I switch on the machine goes into this program
    > at once. I managed to get on-line this morning in about an hour more by
    > good chance than skill but what I would like to do is turn this program
    > off. Can I do this safely, and how can I do it?

    start/run/msconfig/startup/
    unclick all the boxes that pertain to registry mechanic. the pc will than
    tell you you have to reboot. Reboot, and just after the bios screen comes
    up, keep pressing F8 key. Pc should than give you options. Choose safe
    mode. once it's booted up in safe mode, run msconfig again to make sure
    registry mechanic is shut off. You can also safely remove registry mechanic
    in safe mode.

    Dude, Mar 5, 2006
  9. thedarkman

    Trax Guest

    "thedarkman" <> wrote:

    |>Hi, re my posts concerning this problem, I received some advice
    |>including
    |>
    |>Reset Optimization (roll back changes to the registry)
    |>

    |>The problem is that when I switch on the machine goes into this program
    |>at once. I managed to get on-line this morning in about an hour more by
    |>good chance than skill but what I would like to do is turn this program
    |>off. Can I do this safely, and how can I do it?
    |>
    |>I have found a file called C:\windows\command\scanreg.exe
    |>
    |>This is also in my autoexec.bat; can I remove this from autoexec.bat
    |>safely? Can I delete the actual file?

    You can edit the autoexec.bat to disable without removing the command
    with a REM - incase you might want to use the command in the future.
    REM C:\windows\command\scanreg.exe

    You could rename the file, can't be found, can't be run.

    --
    gnomeslair.blogspot.com/2006/02/our-freshly-hand-picked-free-games.html
    Trax, Mar 5, 2006