Problem with realvnc and tainet router

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by QUIROGACA, Mar 29, 2007.

  1. QUIROGACA

    QUIROGACA Guest

    I am a computer support professional,. and have discovered recently
    that I can use this great software to aid my clients remotely, so I
    have been installing - or trying to install - vnc in all kinds of
    different network layouts.

    In this particular network, a client has DSL access, a tainet ca81r
    router, and Windows XP in several machines.

    In the router, I have accessed the "virtual server" section and set
    the following port assignments:

    External Port - Internal Port - ip address

    5900 5900 10.0.0.6
    5901 5901 10.0.0.20

    those ips are the internals of the two computers i particularlly need
    to access in the network.

    In both computers (10.0.0.6 and 10.0.0.20), I have done the port 5900
    (in the 10.0.0.20 i used the 5901 port) exception at the Windows
    firewall, and also unblocked the vnc viewer and server programs just
    in case, even though they run the server part.

    To find the IP address of the network from outside, I asked my client
    to check myipaddress.com

    The router is doing NAPT (dynamic nat) obviously configured as a
    router, not the default config for standalone dsl access with
    "Winpoet".

    Now this happens: there is no way to get into the vnc servers
    mentioned from outside. After about two weeks of testing (this client
    resides two hours away from where i live) just yesterday it ocurred to
    me what would happen if i tried the other way around, that is using
    the "Add New Client" feature of the VNC Server.

    Imagine what.... it worked perfectly.

    I really wonder what is missing, what have I done wrong, or what test
    can i make to figure out the way to connect the straight way. I would
    like to point out that before taking the easy way out of asking i have
    read about a hundred messages from the vnc site, and in deja.com and
    google.

    Additionally, a last doubt, maybe it´s a dumb question: will the
    reverse connection (server behind router / firewall to me, directly
    connected) work seamlessly without any port redirection,
    unblocking...etc?)

    I will appreciate some hints. Thanks in advance. Or the name of the
    proper group to ask all this.
    QUIROGACA, Mar 29, 2007