Problem with reading SD card formatted in Kodak Easyshare CX7220 on USB card reader

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mecca, Oct 28, 2004.

  1. Mecca

    Mecca Guest

    Hi, all,

    Just got a Kodak Easyshare CX7220. I notice when I format a SD/MMC
    card in the camera, the USB card reader on my PC (running Windows XP
    pro SP2) have a hard time recognizing the card. When try to open the
    card on the reader, explorer would hang for a long time. Eventually
    (after 1-2 min), the card would finally be recognized and from there
    on I have no trouble reading/writing to card on the reader. If I take
    the card out and re-insert to the reader, the problem repeats.

    If I format the card in the reader first (using FAT), I have no
    trouble taking it back and forth between the reader and camera.

    I have try it with multiple SD / MMC card and all exhibit the same
    problem. I try formatting the card in another camera and things work
    fine.

    Is this a known probem with this or other Kodak camera? Should I
    return/exchange the camera I just got? I have 10 days to decide?

    Thanks!

    mecca

    Mecca, Oct 28, 2004

  2. Mecca

    Ken Davey Guest

    Mecca wrote:
    > Hi, all,
    >
    > Just got a Kodak Easyshare CX7220. I notice when I format a SD/MMC
    > card in the camera, the USB card reader on my PC (running Windows XP
    > pro SP2) have a hard time recognizing the card. When try to open the
    > card on the reader, explorer would hang for a long time. Eventually
    > (after 1-2 min), the card would finally be recognized and from there
    > on I have no trouble reading/writing to card on the reader. If I take
    > the card out and re-insert to the reader, the problem repeats.
    >
    > If I format the card in the reader first (using FAT), I have no
    > trouble taking it back and forth between the reader and camera.
    >
    > I have try it with multiple SD / MMC card and all exhibit the same
    > problem. I try formatting the card in another camera and things work
    > fine.
    >
    > Is this a known probem with this or other Kodak camera? Should I
    > return/exchange the camera I just got? I have 10 days to decide?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > mecca

    Try a different card reader - borrow one if you can.
    If that clears the problem you have a defective reader -not unknown,
    specially cheap ones (and I tend to think they are all cheap).
    Hope this helps.
    Ken.

    --
    http://www.rupert.net/~solar
    Return address supplied by 'spammotel'

    Ken Davey, Oct 28, 2004

  3. Mecca

    Mecca Guest

    "Ken Davey" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Try a different card reader - borrow one if you can.
    > If that clears the problem you have a defective reader -not unknown,
    > specially cheap ones (and I tend to think they are all cheap).
    > Hope this helps.
    > Ken.

    I try different readers already. One of which is the built-in reader
    on my Toshiba laptop which I hope is not too crappy yet the same
    problem there. I'm hoping someone with the same or similar camera can
    try it out.

    Thanks for the reply!

    Mecca, Oct 29, 2004
  4. Mecca

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Re: Problem with reading SD card formatted in Kodak Easyshare CX7220on USB card reader

    Mecca wrote:
    > "Ken Davey" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>Try a different card reader - borrow one if you can.
    >>If that clears the problem you have a defective reader -not unknown,
    >>specially cheap ones (and I tend to think they are all cheap).
    >>Hope this helps.
    >>Ken.

    > I try different readers already. One of which is the built-in reader
    > on my Toshiba laptop which I hope is not too crappy yet the same
    > problem there. I'm hoping someone with the same or similar camera can
    > try it out.
    >
    > Thanks for the reply!

    I have seen the same problem, but it usually goes away after a few
    insertions, removals of the card. I suspect the contacts in the reader
    aren't gold as the ones on the cards (at least the ones I have) are and
    the contacts become dirty from environmental effects.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 29, 2004
  5. Mecca

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Mecca,

    Not sure why that might happen as the camera is formatting as FAT. FAT is
    suggested by Kodak and is should work fine. If you are able to make contact
    at all and have things work OK, then I suspect there is something other than
    the format going on. If you format at FAT in your computer, the card should
    perform fine. Since the issue seems to appear when you have had the card in
    your camera possibly there is something in the camera that is leaving a
    residual effect?

    Bring your camera and card along with you when you visit a local computer or
    camera shop. Try formating the card, and try it in some other cameras,
    including a model similar to one you own. If it works well and you have no
    trouble, yet when you will know there is something going on with your
    camera. If there is you can simply call the Kodak team and get your camera
    in for service if it is necessary. 800 235-6325.

    If you need my help, let me know and I will try to help further.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Nov 5, 2004