Problem with RAID/Install

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by mjd, Apr 6, 2008.

  1. mjd

    mjd Guest

    I am having a problem installing XP64 on a RAID 5 setup. I have:

    XP64 (June 2006)
    Intel DX38BT
    BIOS = 1521 (latest)
    Intel RAID driver = 7.8.0.1012 (latest, XP64 version)
    Intel QX9650
    Corsair DDR3 RAM - 2 x 2GB
    Western Digital SATA-II 7200RPM 160GB x 4

    In a non-RAID setup XP64 installs and runs perfectly. When I switch to RAID5
    via CMOS settings and use the F6 driver installation method the installation
    fails.
    I have the F6 drivers on floppy. F6-ing at the beginning of setup correctly
    asks for drivers at the appropriate time. Selecting ICH9 (the appropriate
    disk hardware on the board) is accepted at the time of driver loading, but
    when it gets to the "Press enter to install Windows" screen pressing enter
    results in a "No hard drives were found on your system" error.

    In looking at the INF and txtsetup.oem files on the floppy I found that the
    ICH9 entries pointed to device 2922:

    %PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStor_Inst,
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106

    But my computer (when running non-RAID) reports the devices as 2920 and
    2926. I assumed this was causing the problem (and wondered why devices 2920
    and 2926 were not included in the DX38BT driver I downloaded) and added the
    appropriate entries hoping that this would allow windows setup to find the
    drives. No change in behavior.

    I've considered trying to slipstream the drivers onto a new CD, but couldn't
    see any reason why the F6 method was failing that slipstreaming might help.

    Any ideas on how to resolve this problem?
    mjd, Apr 6, 2008

  2. mjd

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    Have you pressed Ctrl-I during boot to enter the RAID configuration utility?
    You only mention the BIOS part of the story, but RAID needs both stages:
    BIOS and Ctrl-I.
    Check page 69 of the product manual (d9774201_en.pdf), that can be
    downloaded from here:
    http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dx38bt/sb/d9774201_en.pdf
    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 6, 2008

  3. mjd

    mjd Guest

    Yes. I didn't mention the Ctrl-I explicitly, but that's where you have to go
    to select RAID5, as I already mentioned, and select which drives are included
    in the array (when setting up RAID during installation), all four in this
    case.

    Thanks for asking. That's not the problem.

    mjd, Apr 6, 2008
  4. mjd

    mjd Guest

    Actually, I should say that I have been into Ctrl-I and selected all four
    drives for a RAID 5 array. There doesn't appear to be anything I could have
    done wrong in there, and I had checked my choices against the installation
    guide and everything appears to be correct. It *could* be the problem, but I
    don't think so.

    mjd, Apr 6, 2008
  5. mjd

    Carlos Guest

    Two additional options come to my mind in order to verify that the RAID is
    properly setup.
    1.- Boot with a LiveCD (Linux?) and check whether it "sees" the array or
    not. You can even try to format/partition it from there.
    2.- Boot with the bootable Acronis Disk Director (or another bootable
    partitioning Disk) and format/partition the array.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 6, 2008
  6. mjd

    mjd Guest

    Those are great ideas. Thanks for suggesting those.

    mjd, Apr 6, 2008
  7. When you do the F6 you're having the drivers on a Floppy Disk - there are
    various methods to obtain that Floppy:

    1. The Floppy came with the system.

    2. The system CD has an option to create the Floppy.

    3. You downloaded the file in a *.ZIP archive that you extracted onto
    the Floppy yourself.

    All these methods may result in a corrupt installation (to the Floppy!).

    I suggest you try and create a new Floppy and make sure it is the 64bit
    driver!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 6, 2008
  8. mjd

    Carol Steele Guest

    Don't know if this will be any help, but when I set up my RAID array, besides
    setting up the RAID configuration in the BIOS, there was also a setting in
    another section where you could set the controller to either IDE, SATA or
    RAID - this has to be set to RAID for the drives to be recognized.

    I was worried that by doing this it wouldn't recognize my other non RAID
    disks which where controlled by the same controller - but I needn't have
    worried as they were recognized as non-Raid members of the same group.

    This was for a Gigabyte motherboard, your board might be different of
    course, but might be worth checking out.

    Carol Steele, Apr 7, 2008
  9. mjd

    mjd Guest

    Hi Carol,

    Thanks for the suggestion. This is the setting in the BIOS that must be set
    in order for the Ctrl-I CMOS utility to be launched that Carlos referred to
    earlier.

    mjd, Apr 7, 2008
  10. mjd

    jabloomf1230 Guest

    There's a very simple way to fix (or at least get at fixing) this
    problem. Buy a small SATA HD (assuming that you have another drive bay)
    and install the OS on it. Then try to set up the RAID5 array. A lot of
    people swear by having a setup with OS on a RAID0 or RAID5 array, but
    I've had nothing but trouble with it.

    Make that you have the "memory hole" option set to on in the BIOS, if
    you keep trying to get this to work with 4GB RAM. One other option would
    be pull out 2 GB of RAM and see if you can get the original install to
    get past the "no drives found" step.

    jabloomf1230, Apr 8, 2008
  11. When I re-install Vista Ultimate 32 or 64 on my RAID5 it asks "Load drivers"
    about 3 screens down. I never use F6. Have you just let it go to the screen
    that asks where to install to and has "Load drivers" at the bottom left?
    --
    Sam

    Sam Steinhauser, Apr 8, 2008