    remaining pictures? It seems like the card stores pictures in a sequential
    fashion.

    Thanks -

    Harlen Ng, Nov 10, 2005

  2. Harlen Ng

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "Harlen Ng" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Panasonic FZ10 and it uses a SD card. I've taken pictures on a
    > SanDisk 512 SD card and for some reason a couple of pictures (JPG) are bad
    > format.
    >
    > I can not copy all the pictures from the card to my PC since it stops
    > copying at the bad picture(s). I've tried deleting the bad picture with
    > the card in my camera but the bad picture gives a read error. Also, I
    > can't delete it while the card is connected to my PC.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to deal with the bad formatted picture so I can copy the
    > remaining pictures? It seems like the card stores pictures in a
    > sequential fashion.
    >
    > Thanks -

    If you have a card reader, try downloading good pics individually. If that
    doesn't work see what PhotoRescue or similar reveal using a card reader.
    Once you have all the pics, format the card.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Nov 10, 2005

  3. Harlen Ng <> wrote:
    : Hello,

    : I have a Panasonic FZ10 and it uses a SD card. I've taken pictures on
    : a SanDisk 512 SD card and for some reason a couple of pictures (JPG)
    : are bad format.

    : I can not copy all the pictures from the card to my PC since it stops
    : copying at the bad picture(s). I've tried deleting the bad picture
    : with the card in my camera but the bad picture gives a read error.
    : Also, I can't delete it while the card is connected to my PC.

    : Any ideas on how to deal with the bad formatted picture so I can copy
    : the remaining pictures? It seems like the card stores pictures in a
    : sequential fashion.

    In part the answer will depend on exactly what is causing your problem. If
    the card format itself is bad it may be that you will have to perform some
    form of recovery procedure to access any of the pictures (and you may
    loose some in the process). If it is only a couple of pictures tha are
    corrupt you may be able to work around them. For example if the system
    only breaks down when the photo data is read you may be able to tell your
    computer to ignore the contents. For example, if the computer is set to
    list the file names and not try to display a thumbnail it would not care
    if the picture data was corrupt. Thus you could copy all the good photos
    to your hard drive and then delete the bad ones (assuming you already know
    which ones are the bad ones). To set up the windows program to only list
    the file names and not attempt to read the data, chose "View" and then
    "List" in the folder with the photos in it. If you do not know which
    images are bad, you may have to copy each photo individually while in
    "list" and then switch to "thumbnail" to see if the newly added image
    comes up ok. If not, then you can switch back to "list" and select the bad
    photo and delete it. Of course this works best if you are using a card
    reader and not accessing the photos through a connection direct to the
    camera. It might be a good idea to just copy the "bad" photos (while in
    List) to a seperate folder and see if one of the recovery or repair
    programs available can fix them.

    No matter what you do, once you have collected all the useable images to
    your computer, you definately will want to perform a complete format of
    the card in your camera before further use. I might even do a complete
    format in the computer, with the card reader first so that you double the
    chance that any bad memory sections are marked as bad and so will not be
    reused. Then once the camera format is complete I would shoot an entire
    "roll" of trial photos. Just aim the camera at the wall and keep shooting
    until the card won't hold any more. Then test that both the camera review
    function and the computer thumbnail function (and if you are using the
    correct software, the "filmstrip" view) to make sure that all the images
    are reading into the computer. Once that comes out ok, then you can delete
    the photos and use the card with confidence (for the time being). If an
    error reappears you may have a bad card and you should dump it and get a
    new one.

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Nov 11, 2005
  4. Harlen Ng

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Harlen Ng wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Panasonic FZ10 and it uses a SD card. I've taken pictures on a
    > SanDisk 512 SD card and for some reason a couple of pictures (JPG) are bad
    > format.
    >
    > I can not copy all the pictures from the card to my PC since it stops
    > copying at the bad picture(s). I've tried deleting the bad picture with the
    > card in my camera but the bad picture gives a read error. Also, I can't
    > delete it while the card is connected to my PC.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to deal with the bad formatted picture so I can copy the
    > remaining pictures? It seems like the card stores pictures in a sequential
    > fashion.
    >
    > Thanks -

    Get one of the data recovery programs and run it on the card. These
    programs override the error conditions, and read the data 'bit by bit'
    and can often recover the data in all the undamaged image files.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Nov 11, 2005
  5. Harlen Ng

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 08:28:39 -0800, "Harlen Ng" <>
    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I have a Panasonic FZ10 and it uses a SD card. I've taken pictures on a
    >SanDisk 512 SD card and for some reason a couple of pictures (JPG) are bad
    >format.
    >
    >I can not copy all the pictures from the card to my PC since it stops
    >copying at the bad picture(s). I've tried deleting the bad picture with the
    >card in my camera but the bad picture gives a read error. Also, I can't
    >delete it while the card is connected to my PC.
    >
    >Any ideas on how to deal with the bad formatted picture so I can copy the
    >remaining pictures? It seems like the card stores pictures in a sequential
    >fashion.
    >
    >Thanks -

    Question: are you using a card reader, or are you only trying this
    while the camera is connected to the computer via cable?

    The reason I ask is because your post sounds like you're doing all
    this with the card still in the camera. I've not seen a card reader
    yet that won't let you access the image files radomly, and your post
    implies that you can only access the files serially, which is how many
    cameras operate when connected to a computer.
    If this is so, get a card reader. It will let you download any files
    at random, so there won't be a problem bypassing the corrupted files.
    The reader will probably let you delete the corrupted files.
    Then, you can format the card in the camera (don't do this in the
    reader).
    Let us know how this works.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Nov 11, 2005
  6. In article <>, Bill Funk
    <> wrote:

    > If this is so, get a card reader. It will let you download any files
    > at random, so there won't be a problem bypassing the corrupted files.
    > The reader will probably let you delete the corrupted files.
    > Then, you can format the card in the camera (don't do this in the
    > reader).

    Dave, Harlen, Randy & Bill-

    There is an additional benefit to using a card reader: you may be able to
    copy the bad pictures as well. If so, you may even be able to open the
    defective pictures if you try several different graphics programs. (When
    I've done that, I've usually gotten half of a picture!)

    As Randy suggested, there may be a benefit to formatting the card in the
    card reader to clear problems that might not get cleared in the camera.
    That is how I once saved a Smartmedia card that repeatedly failed to
    format in an Olympus camera. But be sure to format the card in your
    camera before using it again.

    Formatting is NOT the same as "erase all". Your problem may have been the
    result of something simple that was never fixed because you used erase
    instead of format. While that may be more convenient, it would seem a
    good idea to periodically do a complete format.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Nov 11, 2005
  7. Harlen Ng

    Harlen Ng Guest

    "Bill Funk" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 08:28:39 -0800, "Harlen Ng" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>I have a Panasonic FZ10 and it uses a SD card. I've taken pictures on a
    >>SanDisk 512 SD card and for some reason a couple of pictures (JPG) are bad
    >>format.
    >>
    >>I can not copy all the pictures from the card to my PC since it stops
    >>copying at the bad picture(s). I've tried deleting the bad picture with
    >>the
    >>card in my camera but the bad picture gives a read error. Also, I can't
    >>delete it while the card is connected to my PC.
    >>
    >>Any ideas on how to deal with the bad formatted picture so I can copy the
    >>remaining pictures? It seems like the card stores pictures in a
    >>sequential
    >>fashion.
    >>
    >>Thanks -
    >>

    > Question: are you using a card reader, or are you only trying this
    > while the camera is connected to the computer via cable?
    >
    > The reason I ask is because your post sounds like you're doing all
    > this with the card still in the camera. I've not seen a card reader
    > yet that won't let you access the image files radomly, and your post
    > implies that you can only access the files serially, which is how many
    > cameras operate when connected to a computer.
    > If this is so, get a card reader. It will let you download any files
    > at random, so there won't be a problem bypassing the corrupted files.
    > The reader will probably let you delete the corrupted files.
    > Then, you can format the card in the camera (don't do this in the
    > reader).
    > Let us know how this works.
    >
    > --
    > Bill Funk
    > Replace "g" with "a"
    > funktionality.blogspot.com

    Bill,

    I did use a card reader and I can not delete the bad image. I have tried
    the demo version of PhotoRescue and it can display all of my pictures. I'm
    going to purchase PhotRescue.

    Thanks -

    Harlen Ng, Nov 11, 2005
  8. Harlen Ng

    Harlen Ng Guest

    "Randy Berbaum" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > your computer, you definately will want to perform a complete format of
    > the card in your camera before further use. I might even do a complete
    > format in the computer, with the card reader first so that you double the
    > chance that any bad memory sections are marked as bad and so will not be
    > reused. Then once the camera format is complete I would shoot an entire
    > "roll" of trial photos. Just aim the camera at the wall and keep shooting
    > until the card won't hold any more. Then test that both the camera review
    > function and the computer thumbnail function (and if you are using the
    > correct software, the "filmstrip" view) to make sure that all the images
    > are reading into the computer. Once that comes out ok, then you can delete
    > the photos and use the card with confidence (for the time being). If an
    > error reappears you may have a bad card and you should dump it and get a

    Randy,

    Thanks for the tip. I'll try this tonight. BTW, PhotoRescue is able to
    display all of my pictures for copying. I tried the demo version.

    Thanks -

    Harlen Ng, Nov 11, 2005
  9. Harlen Ng

    GregS Guest

    In article <4374fe75$>, "Harlen Ng" <> wrote:

    >"Randy Berbaum" <> wrote in message
    >> Harlen Ng <> wrote:
    >> : Hello,
    >>
    >> : I have a Panasonic FZ10 and it uses a SD card. I've taken pictures on
    >> : a SanDisk 512 SD card and for some reason a couple of pictures (JPG)
    >> : are bad format.
    >>
    >> : I can not copy all the pictures from the card to my PC since it stops
    >> : copying at the bad picture(s). I've tried deleting the bad picture
    >> : with the card in my camera but the bad picture gives a read error.
    >> : Also, I can't delete it while the card is connected to my PC.

    I have had problems, mostly with Canons I've used. If you select files, you should be able to bypass
    the faulty file. I had done some kind of erase, either with the camera
    or directly from the computer. I started to take pictures and the camera quickly said it was full.
    When I lookd at the files on Windows Explorer, there were all these subfolders
    and all kinds of squigally numbers. I finally reformatted with the camera.
    Not sure if I ever tried to do a Windows check for disk errors and repair on on of these
    cards.

    greg

    GregS, Nov 11, 2005