    reinstalled and still the problem persists. Any users here or within the
    other groups experienced such a problem and know of a cure or can pinpoint
    to the culprit?

    Chef!, Apr 22, 2004

  2. Chef!

    Roady [MVP] Guest

    I had the same setup (without SP4 at the time) for a long time without any
    errors. Now I still have it open all the time but with Outlook 2003 and
    Windows XP SP1 and another machine SP2 RC1. It has never given me the errors
    you described.

    One thing you could try is doing a repair on Office and install Service Pack
    3 for Office XP.

    --
    Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net

    Tips of the month:
    -Save Embedded Pictures in Their Original Format

    -----

    Roady [MVP], Apr 22, 2004

  3. Chef!

    GTS Guest

    I don't know if this option exists in Outlook XP, but the symptom is very
    much like what happens with Outlook Express if the Maintenance option to
    compact messages in the background is enabled.

    GTS, Apr 22, 2004
  4. Chef!

    Jerry G. Guest

    Disable the auto mode for compressing messages. Do this manually about once
    a week. Also, do a cache cleanup from time to time.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., Apr 22, 2004
  5. [posted from ie6.setup on msnews.microsoft.com;
    I don't have access to USENET but am leaving
    the cross-posting list as is in case my reply will propagate]

    "Chef!" <> wrote in message
    > Not quite sure if it's a W2K problem, but here goes. I have W2K Pro SP4,
    > Office XP SP1, IE6 SP1. My day to day running has Outlook for mail and IE
    > on all the time and, most of the time, OE for newsgroups. Every now and
    > then - no particular time pattern/schedule - these 3 apps just halt i.e. no
    > mouse or keyboard response and if you switch between these apps the graphics
    > goes 'blank' on these 3 apps. This lasts for anything between 10 - 20
    > seconds and can cycle between 1 - 4 hours at a time. Any other apps running
    > along side are unaffected and I can go to 'Task Manager' and minimise to
    > Desktop quite happily.

    I have a similar problem on XPsp1. It seems to be explorer.exe.
    Sometimes explorer.exe is obviously looping but sometimes not,
    perhaps it is hung then? When it's annoying enough I kill that task
    and continue on with just Task Manager and whatever is currently
    running.

    FWIW I haven't had the symptom since applying
    the latest security patches.

    HTH

    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    Robert Aldwinckle, Apr 23, 2004
  6. Chef!

    Chef! Guest

    Right! Sometimes when I am trying to shutdown/reboot, explorer.exe doesn't
    close properly and have to kill it when the pop up comes up. It seems to be
    on all the time in Task Man even though the Explorer window is closed. Is it
    meant to run in the background?

    Thanks

    Chef!

    Chef!, Apr 24, 2004
  7. Chef!

    hushia Guest

    Explorer.exe is a normal system proces. Yes it is meant to run.

    Process File: explorer or explorer.exe
    Process Name: Program Manager
    handles the Windows Graphical Shell including the Start menu, taskbar,
    desktop, and File Manager.
    Company: Microsoft Corp.
    System Process: Yes
    (http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/explor
    er/)

    hushia, Apr 24, 2004
  8. Chef!

    Kevin Lawton Guest

    Compared to me you're lucky ! Just about the same thing happens on mine,
    but can last for 5 minutes or longer.
    I've traced it down to having something to do with either compacting
    messages/items in a folder or searching for links in a very long message or
    document. No too surprised it affects MS Office, IE and OE as I understand
    they share quite a bit of common code - probably in DLLs or something.
    Unfortunately I haven't a clue what to do about it, so if somebody comes up
    with a solution it will benefit us both. :)
    Using Open Office, Firefox and Thunderbird as replacements for the MS apps
    does seem to remove the problem, though.
    Kevin.

    Kevin Lawton, Apr 24, 2004