Problem with NVIDIA card

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Adam, May 17, 2004.

  1. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Windows 98, Dell desktop 4100, NVIDIA RIVA TNT

    Without my changing any settings in Display, the opening desktop icons
    have been has been rearranging themselves. Along with this unwanted
    behavior, the color and pixel settings also change. I find that if I
    change the Display settings to 800X600 pixels (from 640X480) and the
    color to True Color 32 bit (from 256 high), all colors become normal and
    the graphics improve to normal. However, after making the "appropriate"
    correction (and clicking Apply and OK), there are times when the
    computer decides to go back to 640X480 and 256, all on its own...usually
    after going on Standby or after being shut down.

    I've been thinking of updating my graphics card, but I don't know which
    one to choose from the NVIDIA menu.

    My only thoughts are that this strange behavior seemed to start when I
    went to using MYIE2 9.26.33 and chose Phoenity as my skin. I didn't
    have this problem when using previous versions of MYIE2 at its default skin.

    Any and all help is appreciated.

    Adam

    --
    To email, erase "forgetit"
    Adam, May 17, 2004

  2. Adam

    Bob B Guest

    "Adam" <> wrote in message
    > Windows 98, Dell desktop 4100, NVIDIA RIVA TNT
    >
    > Without my changing any settings in Display, the opening desktop icons
    > have been has been rearranging themselves. Along with this unwanted
    > behavior, the color and pixel settings also change. I find that if I
    > change the Display settings to 800X600 pixels (from 640X480) and the
    > color to True Color 32 bit (from 256 high), all colors become normal and
    > the graphics improve to normal. However, after making the "appropriate"
    > correction (and clicking Apply and OK), there are times when the
    > computer decides to go back to 640X480 and 256, all on its own...usually
    > after going on Standby or after being shut down.
    >
    > I've been thinking of updating my graphics card, but I don't know which
    > one to choose from the NVIDIA menu.
    >
    > My only thoughts are that this strange behavior seemed to start when I
    > went to using MYIE2 9.26.33 and chose Phoenity as my skin. I didn't
    > have this problem when using previous versions of MYIE2 at its default

    skin.

    > Any and all help is appreciated.
    >
    > Adam
    >
    > --
    > To email, erase "forgetit"

    Check the graphics card is fitted firmly into its slots and also all the
    cables are connected tightly. What do you mean by the the icons moving (have
    you got 'auto arrange ticked'?) BB
    Bob B, May 18, 2004

  3. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Bob B wrote:

    >"Adam" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>Windows 98, Dell desktop 4100, NVIDIA RIVA TNT
    >>
    >>Without my changing any settings in Display, the opening desktop icons
    >>have been has been rearranging themselves. Along with this unwanted
    >>behavior, the color and pixel settings also change. I find that if I
    >>change the Display settings to 800X600 pixels (from 640X480) and the
    >>color to True Color 32 bit (from 256 high), all colors become normal and
    >>the graphics improve to normal. However, after making the "appropriate"
    >>correction (and clicking Apply and OK), there are times when the
    >>computer decides to go back to 640X480 and 256, all on its own...usually
    >>after going on Standby or after being shut down.
    >>
    >>I've been thinking of updating my graphics card, but I don't know which
    >>one to choose from the NVIDIA menu.
    >>
    >>My only thoughts are that this strange behavior seemed to start when I
    >>went to using MYIE2 9.26.33 and chose Phoenity as my skin. I didn't
    >>have this problem when using previous versions of MYIE2 at its default
    >>

    >skin.
    >

    >>Any and all help is appreciated.
    >>
    >>Adam
    >>
    >>--
    >>To email, erase "forgetit"
    >>

    >Check the graphics card is fitted firmly into its slots and also all the
    >cables are connected tightly. What do you mean by the the icons moving (have
    >you got 'auto arrange ticked'?) BB

    All cards and cables OK. I have the icons in a particular pattern on my
    desk top. When things go awry, the icons wind up in different positions
    than originally set and I have to rearrange them manually. Where is the
    auto arrange control. I doubt whether this is the problem as my icons
    have held their given pattern for a very long time...change on noted
    recently.

    --
    To email, erase "forgetit"
    Adam, May 18, 2004
  4. Adam

    Bob B Guest

    "Adam" <> wrote in message
    > Bob B wrote:
    >
    > >"Adam" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > >>Windows 98, Dell desktop 4100, NVIDIA RIVA TNT
    > >>
    > >>Without my changing any settings in Display, the opening desktop icons
    > >>have been has been rearranging themselves. Along with this unwanted
    > >>behavior, the color and pixel settings also change. I find that if I
    > >>change the Display settings to 800X600 pixels (from 640X480) and the
    > >>color to True Color 32 bit (from 256 high), all colors become normal and
    > >>the graphics improve to normal. However, after making the "appropriate"
    > >>correction (and clicking Apply and OK), there are times when the
    > >>computer decides to go back to 640X480 and 256, all on its own...usually
    > >>after going on Standby or after being shut down.
    > >>
    > >>I've been thinking of updating my graphics card, but I don't know which
    > >>one to choose from the NVIDIA menu.
    > >>
    > >>My only thoughts are that this strange behavior seemed to start when I
    > >>went to using MYIE2 9.26.33 and chose Phoenity as my skin. I didn't
    > >>have this problem when using previous versions of MYIE2 at its default
    > >>

    > >skin.
    > >

    > >>Any and all help is appreciated.
    > >>
    > >>Adam
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>To email, erase "forgetit"
    > >>

    > >Check the graphics card is fitted firmly into its slots and also all the
    > >cables are connected tightly. What do you mean by the the icons moving

    (have
    > >you got 'auto arrange ticked'?) BB
    > >

    > All cards and cables OK. I have the icons in a particular pattern on my
    > desk top. When things go awry, the icons wind up in different positions
    > than originally set and I have to rearrange them manually. Where is the
    > auto arrange control. I doubt whether this is the problem as my icons
    > have held their given pattern for a very long time...change on noted
    > recently.
    >
    > --
    > To email, erase "forgetit"

    right click on the desktop ...arrange Icons... check that auto arrange icons
    is NOT ticked
    Bob B, May 19, 2004
  5. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Bob B wrote:

    >"Adam" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>Bob B wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Adam" <> wrote in message

    >>>skin.

    >>>Check the graphics card is fitted firmly into its slots and also all the
    >>>cables are connected tightly. What do you mean by the the icons moving
    >>>

    >(have
    >

    >>>you got 'auto arrange ticked'?) BB
    >>>

    >>All cards and cables OK. I have the icons in a particular pattern on my
    >>desk top. When things go awry, the icons wind up in different positions
    >>than originally set and I have to rearrange them manually. Where is the
    >>auto arrange control. I doubt whether this is the problem as my icons
    >>have held their given pattern for a very long time...change on noted
    >>recently.
    >>
    >>--
    >>To email, erase "forgetit"
    >>

    >right click on the desktop ...arrange Icons... check that auto arrange icons
    >is NOT ticked

    Pretty much solved my problems. It seemed that I had had the wrong
    graphics driver installed. Well, actually, I had updated to the wrong
    card. Took me all day , lots of help from newsgroups, and speaking with
    nvidia to get things right.

    --
    To email, erase "forgetit"
    Adam, May 20, 2004