Problem with Nikon's Capture NX

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ken Trout, Jan 28, 2007.

  1. Ken Trout

    Ken Trout Guest

    Hi All--

    I have been trying a number of RAW converters to use with the NEF
    files produced by my D200. I have downloaded the Capture NX demo and
    have ran into a problem.

    The software shows my pictures in its thumbnail mode correctly. If I
    open the image into the editing mode it turns into "red-scale". It is
    strange. I first thought it might be a white-balance issue until I
    checked the setting from the camera, which are correct. Capture NX
    also does the same "red-scale" display when editing JPEG files-- so it
    is not limited to just NEF files. I tested JPEGs from an A95 and a
    scanner, as well as some random files grabbed from the web.

    My embedded color profile from the camera is Nikon sRGB, and NX is
    instructed to use the embedded profile. What other settings for NX or
    the computer can I look at? I do not have this problem with any other
    non-Nikon branded converter/image editor I tried-- Picture Perfect,
    however, does the same thing.

    Has anyone else seen this problem? Its a bit frustrating, although if
    I can't figure it out I know I need to scratch NX from my converter
    considerations.

    Thanks!

    Ken

    (Note: If responding by email my host has no rats.)
    Ken Trout, Jan 28, 2007

  2. Ken Trout wrote:
    > Hi All--
    >
    > I have been trying a number of RAW converters to use with the NEF
    > files produced by my D200. I have downloaded the Capture NX demo and
    > have ran into a problem.
    >
    > The software shows my pictures in its thumbnail mode correctly. If I
    > open the image into the editing mode it turns into "red-scale". It is
    > strange. I first thought it might be a white-balance issue until I
    > checked the setting from the camera, which are correct. Capture NX
    > also does the same "red-scale" display when editing JPEG files-- so it
    > is not limited to just NEF files. I tested JPEGs from an A95 and a
    > scanner, as well as some random files grabbed from the web.
    >
    > My embedded color profile from the camera is Nikon sRGB, and NX is
    > instructed to use the embedded profile. What other settings for NX or
    > the computer can I look at? I do not have this problem with any other
    > non-Nikon branded converter/image editor I tried-- Picture Perfect,
    > however, does the same thing.
    >
    > Has anyone else seen this problem? Its a bit frustrating, although if
    > I can't figure it out I know I need to scratch NX from my converter
    > considerations.
    >
    > Thanks!

    I've been using NX since it came out with my Coolpix 8800. To date I
    have had none of the problems you mention.

    --
    - Barry
    Barry L. Wallis, Jan 28, 2007

  3. On 28 Jan 2007 19:15:20 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Ken Trout
    <> wrote:

    >Hi All--
    >
    >I have been trying a number of RAW converters to use with the NEF
    >files produced by my D200. I have downloaded the Capture NX demo and
    >have ran into a problem.
    >
    >The software shows my pictures in its thumbnail mode correctly. If I
    >open the image into the editing mode it turns into "red-scale". It is
    >strange. I first thought it might be a white-balance issue until I
    >checked the setting from the camera, which are correct. Capture NX
    >also does the same "red-scale" display when editing JPEG files-- so it
    >is not limited to just NEF files. I tested JPEGs from an A95 and a
    >scanner, as well as some random files grabbed from the web.

    Sounds like you have a bad monitor profile being used. Suggest you verify
    what you have set the monitor profile to be used in the color management
    settings.
    --
    Ed Ruf ()
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jan 28, 2007
  4. Ken Trout

    Ken Trout Guest

    > Sounds like you have a bad monitor profile being used. Suggest you verify
    > what you have set the monitor profile to be used in the color management
    > settings.

    Thanks for the tip. I will check it out. Out of curiosity, do you know why
    such a problem would only affect Capture and not Photoshop, or Elements, or
    any other editor? And I am also curious why I see no symptoms in thumbnail
    mode. Clearly there is something "special" about the way NX interacts with
    my configuration-- I would love to know what it is. :)

    Again, I appreciate the tip, and hopefully working with the monitor profile
    will yield some results.

    Ken

    (Note: If replying via email my host has no rats)
    Ken Trout, Jan 29, 2007