problem with nf7 v2.0, 200fsb, 2 sticks ram

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Geoff, Jul 3, 2003.

  1. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    specs to start with

    xp2500 (1.833ghz normal speed)
    2 x 512pc3200 twinmos m-tec ram
    nf7s v2.0

    running at default values for bios apart from:
    200mhz fsb x 9 (for 1.8ghz)

    prime95 fails with 1 stick of the above ram in the double dimm slots
    put same stick in the single dimm slot, prime95 is rock solid
    it's not only prime that does this, the system was proving unstable, prime95
    makes it stand out thats all

    system works fin at 180mhz fsb

    now, first impressions, duff motherboard, so i returned it and got a new
    replacement, the new board has the exact same problem
    anyone come accross this before

    Geoff, Jul 3, 2003

  2. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    RussS wrote:
    > Yup - probably the RAM is not compatible with the MoBo.

    then why does a stick work in one dimm slot, and not the other 2 (dual
    channel ddr btw)
    also, this sytem worked fine about a month ago
    i canceled the first post cos i posted it to the wrong group, oops :)

    Geoff, Jul 4, 2003

  3. Geoff

    RussS Guest

    That I am not certain of, but I do believe it has to do with the memory
    address range of the ram. I remember building a machine with an Abit BTX
    MoBo and the Century brand ram would only work in slots 2 & 3, but when I
    changed to Legend brand it all worked perfectly. I do seem to remember
    being told about different manufacturers using different memory address
    ranges but in all honesty never followed up on that as it was a 1 off
    problem for me.

    --
    RussS
    MCP W2K Pro & Server, A+, Net+