Problem with neighbors wireless connection

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Stephen Porter, Sep 18, 2004.

  1. System: Windows XP Pro (SP1 only), Linksys WRT54G router/access
    point, Linksys WUSB54G wireless adapter. There are three
    computers on my network, one running XP Home with an identical
    WUSB54G adapter, and one running Windows 98 SE with another
    Linksys USB adapter, but the WUSB11 (B) model. But... my
    computer is apparently the only experiencing the problem, which
    I would think is pretty strange.

    I'm not a wireless guru, but I've used wireless for in-home
    networks for a few years now and haven't really run into any
    problems until a few days ago when a medical student, who rents
    a room in a house next door moved in and set up a wireless
    network. They are connecting to a VPN for medical students at
    USC, which is nearby. (I don't know whether the fact that it's
    a VPN has anything to do with anything, but that's what it is.)

    I first noticed the problem a couple of days ago when I heard a
    couple of Windows USB-like noises -- the soft "boing-boing" that
    you get when you plug/unplug a USB device. I would be
    immediately bounced off the Internet and then, after a slight
    pause Windows system tray balloon would appear telling me that
    "One or more wireless networks are available." The networks
    properties dialog shows my network and the neighbor's network,
    but all attempts to reconnect to mine (or theirs) are
    unsucessful. Theirs is WEP-enabled so I can't get on it and
    mine just isn't working until I reboot.

    My connection being broken seems to be connected to some kind of
    event--perhaps their logging on, but I haven't been able to
    determine that yet.

    I went over and spoke to them and the first thing we thought to
    try is to change channels.

    I'm checking here to see if anyone has any bright ideas or
    pointers about how to trouble-shoot this kind of thing. Any
    advice appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Stephen Porter
    Los Angeles, CA

    P.S. Since we are now "neighbors" wirelessly, I'd like to
    encrypt our network also--it's completely exposed now. I know
    WEP isn't great, but it would be a good starting point, but I'm
    not sure how to set it up on the computer that is running
    Windows 98. Can that be done? TIA on that also.

    Stephen Porter, Sep 18, 2004

  2. Stephen Porter

    Jeff Durham Guest

    If you can configure your wireless card without Windows XP (it comes with
    its own configuration card), use it. Disable the allow windows to manage
    wireless settings in the wireless networks tab. Also, disable the wireless
    zero configuration service. It seems that when XP notices a new connection,
    it will drop your current connection. Different channels are a good thing
    regarding the access points. Use either 1, 6, or 11 as those do not
    overlap. Alos, you might consider upgrading to SP2 as it generally does a
    better job with wireless.

    BTW, I friend of mine had a similar problem. He was using the Linksys
    WUSB11 wireless adapter. Because there was no way NOT to use Windows XP for
    configuration, he bought a Netgear WG111 (?) USB adapater. It had its own
    configuration and solved his disconnect problems.

    Jeff

    Jeff Durham, Sep 18, 2004

  3. You are probably having this problem because your network is not using
    WEP or WPA encryption. It would be good to know if the USB *is*
    disconnecting and reconnecting.

    -Makw sure you change the SSID name from "Linksys" to something else
    -Are you running the latest firmware in the router?
    -Are you using the latest driver for the XP machine?
    -Linksys should have supplied a utility with the WUSB11 for the non XP
    machine to let you specify encryption, if not, you can download from
    their website.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows], Sep 18, 2004
  4. Stephen Porter

    Jeff Durham Guest

    Actually, he got the Netgear WG121 USB model so it could sit on the desk
    since it was connected to a desktop machine. If your SSID happens to be set
    the same as your neighbors, you need to change it. What might happen is
    that your wireless card will attempt to roam. Roaming is a useful feature
    if you have multiple access points.

    Jeff

    Jeff Durham, Sep 18, 2004
  5. Hi Barbara,

    Thanks for your response. Here are my answers.

    --The SSID was changed when I installed the router. And it's
    distinct from the neighbors' SSID also.

    --I can check on the firmware for the router, but it's almost
    brand-new as I recently upgraded from 802.11 B to G.

    --I'll check on the Win98 machine... I believe it does have the
    utility so I can at least set up WEP.

    The problem seems to have gone away since the neighbor changed
    channels, but now I definitely want to set up WEP. Is it
    possible to do WPA with the older machine involved????

    Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

    Best regards,
    Stephen Porter
    Los Angeles, CA

    In article <>,
    says...

    Stephen Porter, Sep 19, 2004
  6. Jeff,

    Thanks for your detailed response. Your points are well-taken.
    The problem seems to have been solved (knock on wood) by the
    neighbor changing her channel. My machine still "sees" their
    network, but it doesn't disconnect my machine. I'm still at a
    lost as to why only MY machine disconnected also.

    You point out an interesting Catch 22 with the Linksys adapter
    (WUSB54G) in that there doesn't seem to be any way to configure
    it without using Windows automatic feature.

    I'm not quite clear on how to disable the Windows "Zero
    configuration service." And is this separate from the tab in
    the dialog that refers to letting Windows configure your card
    automatically.

    I guess I need to bone up on some of the wireless basics. I've
    just been relying on everything kind of working automatically up
    till now.

    I definitely need to set up some encryption now too since our
    network is obviously wide open to the neighbors--not that I
    don't trust them, but it's just bad policy these days.

    Thanks again and if you have thoughts, please comment on the
    above issues too.

    Best regards,
    Stephen Porter
    Los Angeles, CA

    In article <#>,
    says...

    Stephen Porter, Sep 19, 2004
  7. Stephen Porter

    Jeff Durham Guest

    If it works, definitely leave it alone. :) If you find you need to
    disable the wireless zero configuration service, go to Control Panel, then
    administrative tools, then services. You will see it listed. It is
    probably set to automatically and will be running. To disable, stop the
    service, then set to either manual or disabled.

    Jeff Durham, Sep 19, 2004
  8. If the adapter on the non XP machine supports WPA (and I don't think
    the WUSB11 does, but please check the Linksys site) you'd have to buy
    a third party supplicant to provide WPA for non XP machines (Meeting
    House Software and Funk Software both have this and had free trials
    the last time I checked)

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows], Sep 19, 2004
  9. I have Linksys G routers at home and work. I am finding similar problems with
    the proliferation of Access Points. The advice already detailed in this
    thread with respect to changing channels and SSID is right on.

    Linksys has a nice knowledge base and router checkup links on their site.
    Here they are:

    http://206.65.172.231/check/
    http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/entry.php

    Also, the pdf on Intel is very informative for G

    http://www.medicaltabletpc.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=27&page=viewtopic&t=218

    =?Utf-8?B?RGlnaXRhbGRvYw==?=, Oct 7, 2004