    I am not really too sure what the problem is...Any help or advice would
    be appreciated, thanks.
    , Nov 11, 2005

  2. x1134x Guest

    You'll probably have to wire one of your computers into the router's
    ethernet ports. Connect to it and change the SSID to something
    different from default, this will help you know which network you are
    connecting to. Start out simple, then change one thing at a time. (
    i.e. get it working without security, then add that later, Broadcast
    the SSID first, then hide it later.) There's also a reset button on the
    router that will set it up to the default configuration again. This
    may be the quickest route.

    x1134x
    x1134x, Nov 11, 2005

  3. Unk Guest

    On 11 Nov 2005 13:17:11 -0800, wrote:

    >So I live in residence and the cable connection here is cogeco
    >commercial cable split between all of the people in the res...
    >
    >My current setup is:
    >1. Wireless Laptop (built in wireless)
    >2. Desktop with wireless card
    >3. Linksys Wireless router (have tried wep and non wep multiple times,
    >no difference.)
    >
    >Now my connection was ALWAYS fast at my home cable connection (same
    >company too)
    >
    >I can see other peoples wireless connections near me and I am thinking
    >maybe this is the cause for slow connection and constant loss in
    >connection?
    >
    >I am not really too sure what the problem is...Any help or advice would
    >be appreciated, thanks.

    Try tweaking the computer's settings: Download the TCP Optimizer (Freeware)
    http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
    I've seen it almost double the speeds over the default settings.
    Unk, Nov 11, 2005
  4. Dan Evans Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > I am not really too sure what the problem is...Any help or advice would
    > be appreciated, thanks.

    Is this a shared WiFi connection for the whole residence, or your own WiFi
    connection that is hooked up to a common cable feed? I'm guessing that the
    problem is either:

    1. WiFi access point is too far away or there is interference
    2. The access point is overloaded.
    3. You have your own connection available, but your computer is latching
    onto someone elses access point, then loosing the connection and looking for
    another.

    All reasons why I dislike wireless.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 11, 2005
  5. On 11 Nov 2005 13:17:11 -0800, wrote:

    >So I live in residence and the cable connection here is cogeco
    >commercial cable split between all of the people in the res...
    >
    >My current setup is:
    >1. Wireless Laptop (built in wireless)
    >2. Desktop with wireless card
    >3. Linksys Wireless router (have tried wep and non wep multiple times,
    >no difference.)
    >
    >Now my connection was ALWAYS fast at my home cable connection (same
    >company too)
    >
    >I can see other peoples wireless connections near me and I am thinking
    >maybe this is the cause for slow connection and constant loss in
    >connection?
    >
    >I am not really too sure what the problem is...Any help or advice would
    >be appreciated, thanks.

    get off channel 6
    unluckylanding, Nov 12, 2005
  6. Frank Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > So I live in residence and the cable connection here is cogeco
    > commercial cable split between all of the people in the res...
    >
    > My current setup is:
    > 1. Wireless Laptop (built in wireless)
    > 2. Desktop with wireless card
    > 3. Linksys Wireless router (have tried wep and non wep multiple times,
    > no difference.)
    >
    > Now my connection was ALWAYS fast at my home cable connection (same
    > company too)
    >
    > I can see other peoples wireless connections near me and I am thinking
    > maybe this is the cause for slow connection and constant loss in
    > connection?
    >
    > I am not really too sure what the problem is...Any help or advice would
    > be appreciated, thanks.

    You may be seeing a doppler shift in freq's from other host's wireless
    systems. What king of wireless are you using 802.11a,b,g,h? also are you
    using encryption to Transmit/receive? Overlaping 802.11b vs g has issues
    with data loss and dis-conections.

    I'd try WEP encryption and see if that helps.

    Or try Windows xp firewall to try and block other systems from being
    recieved by your computer.

    Frank
    Frank, Nov 12, 2005
  7. Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > 3. Linksys Wireless router (have tried wep and non wep multiple times,
    > no difference.)

    WEP is about encryption and securing the access; it isn't supposed to
    change the speed. It changes who gets to use the access.

    > I can see other peoples wireless connections near me and I am thinking
    > maybe this is the cause for slow connection and constant loss in
    > connection?

    Check your wireless setup (on the computer that has trouble) and look
    for a way to select the wireless channel (1 to 11); you'd prefer
    automatic selection, but if it is already set for automatic, you might
    check a specific one to see if it is different.

    I suggest downloading something large via FTP to compare speeds.
    Mitch, Nov 12, 2005