    I can right-click on drive C and explore the drive as usual, but left click
    tries to find Hoyles Card Games.

    Help please.

    fruitbat, Apr 24, 2004

  2. fruitbat

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    fruitbat wrote:

    > I go to My Computer and see the usual stuff, including little icons just to
    > the left of drive A, drive C, drive D and so on.
    > The little icon to the left of drive C has been hijacked and replaced by an
    > icon for "Hoyles Card Games."
    >
    > Hence when I select drive A or D in MY COMPUTER it works fine, but when I
    > select drive C it tries to start Hoyles Card Games.
    > I did install Hoyles Card Games a while ago but have since uninstalled the
    > program.
    > I can right-click on drive C and explore the drive as usual, but left click
    > tries to find Hoyles Card Games.
    >
    > Help please.

    Just a guess. Check in the root of C:\ and I think you will find you
    have the AUTORUN.INF file for Hoyle and the ICO file. Delete both of
    them and you should be OK.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Apr 24, 2004

  3. fruitbat

    mark mandel Guest

    "fruitbat" <> wrote in message
    > I go to My Computer and see the usual stuff, including little icons just

    > the left of drive A, drive C, drive D and so on.
    > The little icon to the left of drive C has been hijacked and replaced by

    an
    > icon for "Hoyles Card Games."
    >
    > Hence when I select drive A or D in MY COMPUTER it works fine, but when I
    > select drive C it tries to start Hoyles Card Games.
    > I did install Hoyles Card Games a while ago but have since uninstalled the
    > program.
    > I can right-click on drive C and explore the drive as usual, but left

    click
    > tries to find Hoyles Card Games.
    >
    > Help please.

    Even though you uninstalled the game, it left spyware on the drive.
    So you need to download and run Spybot S & D, Ad Aware and maybe include CW
    Shredder as well(this one especially if your homepage got "hijacked").

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandel, Apr 24, 2004
  4. fruitbat

    Plato Guest

    mark mandel wrote:

    > Even though you uninstalled the game, it left spyware on the drive.
    > So you need to download and run Spybot S & D, Ad Aware and maybe include CW
    > Shredder as well(this one especially if your homepage got "hijacked").

    Tho I have a link to CWShredder, I'm wondering if its redundant as your
    basic free anti-spyware apps all address CoolWebSearch anyway.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Apr 24, 2004
  5. fruitbat

    colin Guest

    Plato <|@|.|> wrote in message news:408aad06$0$151$...
    > mark mandel wrote:
    > >
    > > Even though you uninstalled the game, it left spyware on the drive.
    > > So you need to download and run Spybot S & D, Ad Aware and maybe include

    CW
    > > Shredder as well(this one especially if your homepage got "hijacked").

    > Tho I have a link to CWShredder, I'm wondering if its redundant as your
    > basic free anti-spyware apps all address CoolWebSearch anyway.

    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    http://209.133.47.200/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe

    http://209.133.47.200/~merijn/files/CWShredder.exe

    fish-breathe ;)

    colin, Apr 24, 2004
  6. fruitbat

    fruitbat Guest

    "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    > fruitbat wrote:
    >
    > > I go to My Computer and see the usual stuff, including little icons just

    > > the left of drive A, drive C, drive D and so on.
    > > The little icon to the left of drive C has been hijacked and replaced by

    an
    > > icon for "Hoyles Card Games."
    > >
    > > Hence when I select drive A or D in MY COMPUTER it works fine, but when

    > > select drive C it tries to start Hoyles Card Games.
    > > I did install Hoyles Card Games a while ago but have since uninstalled

    the
    > > program.
    > > I can right-click on drive C and explore the drive as usual, but left

    click
    > > tries to find Hoyles Card Games.
    > >
    > > Help please.
    > >

    > Just a guess. Check in the root of C:\ and I think you will find you
    > have the AUTORUN.INF file for Hoyle and the ICO file. Delete both of
    > them and you should be OK.

    Yes, you were spot on. There in the root drive was the autorun and ico file.
    Both are now deleted and the problem is solved.
    I had previously run spybot and adaware without success in the problem. It
    now appears there was nothing malicious in the Hoyles program, just that I
    accidently installed it in the root drive.

    fruitbat, Apr 24, 2004
  7. fruitbat

    mark mandel Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > mark mandel wrote:
    > >
    > > Even though you uninstalled the game, it left spyware on the drive.
    > > So you need to download and run Spybot S & D, Ad Aware and maybe include

    CW
    > > Shredder as well(this one especially if your homepage got "hijacked").

    > Tho I have a link to CWShredder, I'm wondering if its redundant as your
    > basic free anti-spyware apps all address CoolWebSearch anyway.

    You're right 'bout that. What I was suggesting may simply be overkill.
    Sometimes I'll run the CWS just to test if it's working anyway.

    Mark

    mark mandel, Apr 25, 2004