    ATAPI 32X10X32X CD-writer (connected w/ a ATA66 cable)
    40GB Maxtor ATA66 (connected w/ a ATA66 cable)
    a-Head NERO Burning Rom

    BCheng_ca, Sep 18, 2003

  2. Stop overburning !!!

    If it still happens, try it again.

    The spiral path on a CD media is only so long, and when you overburn you
    are trying to put data beyond the end of it. There is a LITTLE extra
    spiral there beyond the certified and tested length, but the amount
    varies by media, and it may be VERY little. Since you have no way of
    knowing either how much is there OR if, it's any good (whether it's
    there or not), and since the length of the "good" part will vary from
    piece to piece even in the same batch of media, overburning is extremely
    dangerous, because if you run beyond the end of the "good" spiral, the
    entire disc is runined and useless (it will never be "closed" properly).

    Barry Watzman, Sep 19, 2003

  3. Barry Watzman <> wrote in news:3F6A4AB4.7040900
    @neo.rr.com:

    > Stop overburning !!!
    >
    > If it still happens, try it again.
    >
    > The spiral path on a CD media is only so long, and when you overburn you
    > are trying to put data beyond the end of it. There is a LITTLE extra
    > spiral there beyond the certified and tested length, but the amount
    > varies by media, and it may be VERY little. Since you have no way of
    > knowing either how much is there OR if, it's any good (whether it's
    > there or not), and since the length of the "good" part will vary from
    > piece to piece even in the same batch of media, overburning is extremely
    > dangerous, because if you run beyond the end of the "good" spiral, the
    > entire disc is runined and useless (it will never be "closed" properly).

    Also, make sure your hard drive is defragged. This way, the cd burner is
    not looking all over the disk for what you are trying to burn.

    Joel

    Joel Whitburn, Jr., Sep 19, 2003
  4. BCheng_ca

    MF Guest

    Here's what nero has to say.,

    10. "Power calibration error", "Focus servo failure", "Laser
    adjustment error", "Monitor ATIP error", "Write emergency" or "Spindle
    servo failure":

    These are really bad hardware errors. Maybe using another brand of
    CDRs could help. If this doesn't help, then you'll probably need to
    have your recorder repaired.

    Did you try other media?

    Mike

    MF, Sep 19, 2003
  5. Whether or not the hard drive is defragged won't matter on a modern
    system with a modern burner. It mattered when I was trying to burn from
    a 486 or Pentium 75 system in 1996 (and "coasters" cost $6 each), but
    it's just not an issue in the last 2 years (and in almost all cases a
    lot further back than that).

    Barry Watzman, Sep 20, 2003
  6. Barry Watzman <> wrote in

    > Whether or not the hard drive is defragged won't matter on a modern
    > system with a modern burner. It mattered when I was trying to burn
    > from a 486 or Pentium 75 system in 1996 (and "coasters" cost $6 each),
    > but it's just not an issue in the last 2 years (and in almost all
    > cases a lot further back than that).

    So if part of a file youa re trying to burn is at the beginning of a 120gb
    hd, and the other part is at the end of the 120gb hd, it doesn't matter?
    (and that's only assuming the file is split on two, and not several smaller
    parts.)

    Joel

    Joel Whitburn, Jr., Sep 20, 2003
  7. Re: "So if part of a file youa re trying to burn is at the beginning of
    a 120gb hd, and the other part is at the end of the 120gb hd, it doesn't
    matter? (and that's only assuming the file is split on two, and not
    several smaller parts.)"

    That's correct, as a practical matter. Yes, it does take the hard drive
    a couple of milliseconds to jump from the end of one part of the file to
    the beginning of the next fragment. But both the operating system, the
    burner software and the CD-RW drive itself have buffers. The buffer in
    the burner is going to be at least 2 megabytes, which, even at a high
    burn speed is a second or so (many burners now have 8 MB buffers). And
    that doesn't even count the buffers in the operating system or the
    burner software. On top of that, any drive built in the last 2 years
    (and some before that) has "burn proof" or a similar technology, if it
    runs out of data it CAN physically stop the burn and resume it when the
    data returns, with no bad effects. It used to be that running out of
    data was fatal, but not with any modern drives.

    So while, yes, it takes a couple of milliseconds to jump from one part
    of the hard drive to another, in a modern system, it just doesn't
    matter, becuse between the various buffers there is tens of seconds
    worth of data built up and "ready to burn", and a modern computer can
    refill the buffers far faster than the burner can empty them.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 20, 2003
  8. Barry Watzman <> wrote in

    > Re: "So if part of a file youa re trying to burn is at the beginning
    > of a 120gb hd, and the other part is at the end of the 120gb hd, it
    > doesn't matter? (and that's only assuming the file is split on two,
    > and not several smaller parts.)"
    >
    > That's correct, as a practical matter. Yes, it does take the hard
    > drive a couple of milliseconds to jump from the end of one part of the
    > file to the beginning of the next fragment. But both the operating
    > system, the burner software and the CD-RW drive itself have buffers.
    > The buffer in the burner is going to be at least 2 megabytes, which,
    > even at a high burn speed is a second or so (many burners now have 8
    > MB buffers). And that doesn't even count the buffers in the operating
    > system or the burner software. On top of that, any drive built in the
    > last 2 years (and some before that) has "burn proof" or a similar
    > technology, if it runs out of data it CAN physically stop the burn and
    > resume it when the data returns, with no bad effects. It used to be
    > that running out of data was fatal, but not with any modern drives.
    >
    > So while, yes, it takes a couple of milliseconds to jump from one part
    > of the hard drive to another, in a modern system, it just doesn't
    > matter, becuse between the various buffers there is tens of seconds
    > worth of data built up and "ready to burn", and a modern computer can
    > refill the buffers far faster than the burner can empty them.

    Man, you learn something new everyday - thanks!

    Joel

    Joel Whitburn, Jr., Sep 20, 2003