    images.
    What can I do?

    Greg

    Greg, Nov 16, 2004

  2. Greg

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Greg"

    >I didn't delete any thing on the card I
    >didn't format it. Now my camera does not recognize the card. The cards are
    >not damaged. The card reader recognizes them and I can see the folders and
    >images. What can I do?

    If you're sure the images are OK saved on the computer I'd reformat the CF card
    *in the camera* and see if that fixes the problem.

    Bill Hilton, Nov 16, 2004

  3. In Message-ID:<cnd5fm$14ka$> posted on Tue, 16 Nov
    2004 17:14:34 +0200, Greg wrote:

    >I own a Canon Powershot A80.
    >
    >I have two Sandisk Compact Flash memory cards (128 Mb and 512 MB). They
    >worked without any problem with my camera. I put them in a card reader and I
    >copied images on my pc (Win XP Pro). I didn't delete any thing on the card I
    >didn't format it. Now my camera does not recognize the card. The cards are
    >not damaged. The card reader recognizes them and I can see the folders and
    >images.
    >What can I do?
    >
    >Greg

    I have no idea what XP-Pro's drivers could have done to corrupt your
    cards unless you yanked one out during the read, but even that would be
    more likely to crash the computer than corrupt the card's file
    structure.
    I haven't experienced (yet) any problems with my two Lexar CF256's and
    SanDisk reader versus my S1-IS, but if it happened as you say, I would
    save to the computer all available content, then do a full format in the
    reader, then try to follow up with an in camera format.
    On my XP-Pro machine the camera was recognized upon plug in without any
    additional software, whereas on this 98SE machine I had to install
    ZoomBrowser, or use a generic twain driver.
    --

    JK

    Justín Käse, Nov 16, 2004
  4. Greg

    Aerticus Guest

    Some image browsers actually leave residue files behind

    Would this be the casue of the problem?

    Even if it isn't I'd suggest that it is good practise not to view files on
    the card - always copy the images to the computer (window to window or USB -
    mini-USB) Then inspext the images from the copies on your 'pooter.

    I have never ever experienced anything like this with my xD cards and have
    given them a fair bit of wallop too.

    However I make a point of formatting the cards in camera only

    Aerticus

    Aerticus, Nov 16, 2004
  5. Greg

    RustY© Guest

    "Aerticus" <> wrote in message
    > Some image browsers actually leave residue files behind

    Yes, XP does this.

    RustY©, Nov 16, 2004
  6. RustY© wrote:
    > "Aerticus" <> wrote in message
    >> Some image browsers actually leave residue files behind
    >>

    > Yes, XP does this.

    Only if you view the images as thumbnails.

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 16, 2004
  7. Greg

    Greg Guest

    >>I didn't delete any thing on the card I
    >>didn't format it. Now my camera does not recognize the card. The cards are
    >>not damaged. The card reader recognizes them and I can see the folders and
    >>images. What can I do?

    > If you're sure the images are OK saved on the computer I'd reformat the CF
    > card
    > *in the camera* and see if that fixes the problem.

    I can't do this because teh camera does not recognize the card.
    I formated the first card on the card reader as FAT 32 or FAT 16 and tried
    the card on two cameras (Canon A80 and Nikon D70) with no result.
    Both of them are ok by using them with the card. I can write and delete
    files on them BUT they can't be recognized from the cameras.

    Greg, Nov 16, 2004
  8. Greg

    Marcel Guest

    What's the impact, please?

    Marcel, Nov 16, 2004
  9. Greg

    Big Bill Guest

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:23:42 -0500, "Marcel" <>
    wrote:

    >What's the impact, please?

    Extremely little.
    XP leaves an index file to help it (XP) keep track of the thumbnails.
    This file is pretty small, and the camera doesn't even know it's
    there. The camera simply doesn't see this file, so it won't have any
    effect on the camera.
    Other than taking up a small part of the card's capacity, there's no
    impact.
    Formatting the card in the camera will remove the file, restoring that
    space for the camera's use. I don't *know* if a "delete all" command
    will remove the file (I just haven't checked).

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Nov 17, 2004
  10. Greg wrote:
    >>>I didn't delete any thing on the card I
    >>>didn't format it. Now my camera does not recognize the card. The cards are
    >>>not damaged. The card reader recognizes them and I can see the folders and
    >>>images. What can I do?

    >>If you're sure the images are OK saved on the computer I'd reformat the CF
    >>card
    >>*in the camera* and see if that fixes the problem.
    >>

    > I can't do this because teh camera does not recognize the card.
    > I formated the first card on the card reader as FAT 32 or FAT 16 and tried
    > the card on two cameras (Canon A80 and Nikon D70) with no result.
    > Both of them are ok by using them with the card. I can write and delete
    > files on them BUT they can't be recognized from the cameras.

    A cart and horse situation. The camera won't recognize the card until
    after it formats it, found in your menu, regardless of camera make and
    model, or card make and specs.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Nov 17, 2004