problem with media player...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by 2k3gtsryder, Nov 12, 2005.

  1. 2k3gtsryder

    2k3gtsryder Guest

    2k3gtsryder, Nov 12, 2005

  2. 2k3gtsryder

    Unk Guest

    On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 00:13:16 -0600, 2k3gtsryder
    <> wrote:

    >any reason, that anyone can think of, why when i use the visualizer on
    >my media player, 10, that after about 10 minutes or so, maybe less, my
    >laptop shuts itself down,? HP ZE4500 reformated to xp-pro.

    Battery low?

    Windows XP has a default setting to "Restart on failure"

    Right click on "My Computer" and select Manage.
    Expand the Event Viewer category and look through each of the three sub-categories for the red
    flagged error records. The date and time of these should correspond to your restarts. Double
    click on an error record to see the details of the error.

    You can change this restart behavior if you want.

    Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Advanced
    In the Startup and Recovery section, click on the "Settings" button to open the Startup and
    Recovery window. In the System Failure section, uncheck "Automatically restart",
    Click "Apply", "OK"

    After that change the computer will no longer restart when a system failure occurs. Instead it
    will probably throw up a "Blue Screen Of Death" with a STOP error message and then halt
    completely, requiring a manual power off and restart (or reset if it has a hardware reset
    switch). But the contents of the STOP error message will give a specific clue as to the
    underlying cause of the problem.

    It's also possible that the error is so minor that it's only logged to the event record.
    Unk, Nov 12, 2005

  3. 2k3gtsryder

    fuzzix Guest

    2k3gtsryder wrote:
    > any reason, that anyone can think of, why when i use the visualizer
    > on my media player, 10, that after about 10 minutes or so, maybe
    > less, my laptop shuts itself down,? HP ZE4500 reformated to xp-pro.

    I think some of those visualisers are quite processor intensive - it
    could be the case that the machine is overheating and shutting itself
    down. Have a look for a freeware temperature monitoring app to see if
    the temperature gets very high before the reboot.

    Obviously this isn't normal behaviour - the machine should be able to
    handle processor intensive tasks - so I did a little snooping and found
    that there was a recent battery recall for HP laptops which involved an
    overheating issue:

    http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml06/06007.html

    It might also be an idea to have the processor heatsink and the laptop's
    fans checked out - if there are any fans visible externally look for
    excessive dust and dirt as well - it may just need to be cleaned :)

    Good luck,

    fuzz.
    fuzzix, Nov 12, 2005