Problem with loading install from XP cd room with XP 64 @ HD.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?TGFnb3B1cw==?=, Feb 14, 2007.

  1. Got one raptordisk ----> XP 64 pro

    Problem: need a fast reliable way to switch back and forwards XP 64 pro and
    XP home version ^^eg. Fdisk,format,xp setup boot from cd whatever BUT the xp
    vanillahome OEM disk keeps booting xp64 without giving me the option of
    nuking my xp 64 pro INSTALL.

    ofc I have tried to setup up BOOT cd room from Bios, but to no avail i keeps
    jumping straight to the logon screen in XP 64 pro instead of giving me the
    BSOWDYWTD (Blue screen of "what do you want to do") essentially I can´t
    access Fdisk I realise i could prolly try swapping around Hd´s and fiddling
    around with startup disks.

    There´s alot of advice that starts from Putting in a Win OS in the CD rom
    drive and then getting *BOOTING of the cd sans LOADING the current WIN OS eg.
    the options of having your way with WHATEVER is installed on ur Hd´s but the
    part BEFORE that is what I´m asking about

    But most of all I want to ID the sources of these errors.
    USB keyboard?
    BIOS Version?
    Other hardware?

    I can not see why hardware should be an issue here since I can boot the OS
    and have no problem running it. Is there a way FORCE fdisk or DOS prompt on
    reboot?
    =?Utf-8?B?TGFnb3B1cw==?=, Feb 14, 2007

  2. I am not sure I understand - do you have both systems currently installed,
    and only one is booting? Or is one system installed and you want to boot off
    the CD/DVD with the other?

    If you are attempting a dual-boot scenario, I guess you must have installed
    'XP x64' first, and then 'Home' second????

    If this is what happened, then, yes - that will disturb the booting process!
    You should have installed the other way around, but all is not lost, there
    are ways to set this straight. Please, get back with a clarification and
    someone here will give you the proper advice.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 14, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TGFnb3B1cw==?=

    Theo Guest

    Depending on your overall requirements VPC 2007 may be a
    solution. You can install VPC in Win x64 as a host and then
    install Win XP in VPC as a guest. That way you can actually
    have both running at the same time an switch between them.

    Theo, Feb 14, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TGFnb3B1cw==?=

    DP Guest

    It's hard to actually understand what you're saying, but it sounds like
    maybe you need to change the boot order so that it looks to the CD drive
    first. I'm guessing that what your machine is doing right now is ignoring
    the CD drive and booting from the hard drive.
    That behavior can be changed.

    DP, Feb 14, 2007
  5. DP´s reply sums it up, and believe me when I say I have done the usual BIOS
    dancing to rectify this behavior but to no avail, clearing cmos battery
    jumpers to boot etc etc. I guess all I need is to boot a dosprompt and then
    winnt ---> format disk to execute a new fresh install off the CD rom but
    something is keeping me from doing just that.

    I have done full reinstall of xp64 multiple times but suddenly I can´t do it
    anymore
    faulty hardware or bad BIOS? I,ve been running xp 64 pro for well over a
    year so I cant´t see why that should be the case. Was looking for a shortcut
    possible from within xp64 to prepare my computer for a new install rather
    than tampering around with extra hard drives USB boots etc.

    Thanks @Theo for the info about the host program but will that allow me to
    run both version on the same Hd``?

    =?Utf-8?B?TGFnb3B1cw==?=, Feb 14, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TGFnb3B1cw==?=

    Theo Guest

    Yes, you may install VPC on the same HD. Virtual PC (VPC)
    is an application that you would install within Win x64 just
    as you would any other application program. Once you have
    VPC installed, you then create a Virtual Machine (VM) within
    VPC and install Win XP in that VM. There is a beta VPC 2007
    that should be final in the near future. You can sign up
    for it in MS Connect. The current version is VPC 2004 and
    it is available free.

    There is also a VPC newsgroup: microsoft.public.virtualpc
    where you can find assistance if you need it.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx is
    the start page for VPC.

    Theo, Feb 14, 2007