problem with linksys wmp11 PCi wireless networking adapter.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIEIu?=, Sep 20, 2005.

  1. problem with linksys wmp11 PCi wireless networking adapter.

    Historically, installing this device on a friend's Gateway PC has been
    problematic. However, it can be made to work.
    The person who installed it before me had difficulties which were resolved
    with linksys by downloading new drivers, and at their suggestion switching
    PCi slots.

    I reinstalled Windows XP on this PC recently. Before I did so I removed the
    card physically because I know the card didn't come with the computer(I
    wanted to avoid any problems if I used Gateway's recovery CDs).

    Once the OS was working (I didn't use the Gateway drivers and application
    CDs only the XP OS CD) I then installed the card. Upon rebooting, Windows saw
    a new PCI card and recognized it as a network adapter.
    Several attempts to install it via the Add new Hardware Wizard and Linksys's
    setup program failed. The device was listed in Device Manager as an unknown
    device. I tried it several times through reboots and shutdowns in both safe
    and regular modes. Sometimes the hardware wizard would say it couldn't find
    the file wmp11.sys. I would then locate manually from the linksys driver CD
    and harddisk copies but neither would work. Other times it wouldn't complain
    about the file, but in either case it only tell me it was unable to install
    the device. The setup program from linksys would complete witout any error
    but the device would stay uninstalled. I tried versions of drivers from
    linksys's site and I'd get the same things. I also tried to ugrade the
    firmware on the card but that also didn't work. The program would only run
    without any error.

    Eventually, I ran microsoft update on the computer and the device suddenly
    installed and worked properly. I tested it out and rebooted and shutdown
    several times and all was working.

    I now receive word that the device is no longer seen as installed and
    windows reports it as new PCI card and attempts to install aren't working.
    The info I have as to what may have precipitated this was the PC was running
    for a long time and when it rebooted this occurred.

    I have to tackle this problem again, so any advice or ideas would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Thanks much,

    George

    =?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIEIu?=, Sep 20, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIEIu?=

    BobC Guest

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:49:02 -0700, George B. wrote:

    > problem with linksys wmp11 PCi wireless networking adapter.
    >

    > I have to tackle this problem again, so any advice or ideas would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks much,
    >
    > George

    It has been several years but as I recall the order of installation,
    hardware card/software was important. As I recall the Linksys software had
    to be installed prior to the card. Then when the card is installed, the
    Linksys software will detect and configure it.

    Sorry if this does not work out for you. As I said it has been a few years.

    Maybe check the card manual for the install sequence.

    BobC, Sep 20, 2005

  3. That's a good strategy and I'll try it. I may have overlooked that in the
    manual.
    I did get it working before without doing it that way..but we see what
    happened.

    =?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIEIu?=, Sep 20, 2005