Problem with LaserJet 4M...rollers?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Dan, Dec 16, 2004.

  1. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Hi,

    I picked up a LaserJet 4M printer someone was throwing out. It had
    the accessories like envelope feeder and lower cassette, so I couldn't
    pass it up. My very first laser printer :)

    The problem seems to always be a paper jam just after 2/3 of the text
    is applied to the paper. The paper jams about 2/3 of the way down the
    paper, so about 2/3 of the test page gets transferred to paper before
    jamming. I thought it might be the fuser roller (or one of the
    easier-to-replace rollers) that's the problem, but I'm not sure. Is
    cleaning the fuser roller a standard maintenance procedure?

    A separate problem comes when booting up the printer. The motor makes
    a really loud grind, then the printer entirely shuts down. However,
    if I leave it for a couple minutes, it starts back up, and after the
    motor runs a few more times everything sounds fine....except for the
    first problem. Are they related?

    Thanks very much,
    Dan
    Dan, Dec 16, 2004

  2. Dan

    Bob Guest

    "Dan" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I picked up a LaserJet 4M printer someone was throwing out. It

    had
    > the accessories like envelope feeder and lower cassette, so I

    couldn't
    > pass it up. My very first laser printer :)
    >
    > The problem seems to always be a paper jam just after 2/3 of

    the text
    > is applied to the paper. The paper jams about 2/3 of the way

    down the
    > paper, so about 2/3 of the test page gets transferred to paper

    before
    > jamming. I thought it might be the fuser roller (or one of the
    > easier-to-replace rollers) that's the problem, but I'm not

    sure. Is
    > cleaning the fuser roller a standard maintenance procedure?
    >
    > A separate problem comes when booting up the printer. The

    motor makes
    > a really loud grind, then the printer entirely shuts down.

    However,
    > if I leave it for a couple minutes, it starts back up, and

    after the
    > motor runs a few more times everything sounds fine....except

    for the
    > first problem. Are they related?

    On the older LJ 3, One of the gears on the fuser siezes up
    causing a grinding noise during operation. Taking it apart and
    carefully re-drilling out the hole in the gear has solved the
    problem for me. It could be that you have a similar problem.

    Bob
    Bob, Dec 16, 2004

  3. Dan

    AG Guest

    "Dan" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I picked up a LaserJet 4M printer someone was throwing out. It had
    > the accessories like envelope feeder and lower cassette, so I couldn't
    > pass it up. My very first laser printer :)
    >
    > The problem seems to always be a paper jam just after 2/3 of the text
    > is applied to the paper. The paper jams about 2/3 of the way down the
    > paper, so about 2/3 of the test page gets transferred to paper before
    > jamming. I thought it might be the fuser roller (or one of the
    > easier-to-replace rollers) that's the problem, but I'm not sure. Is
    > cleaning the fuser roller a standard maintenance procedure?
    >
    > A separate problem comes when booting up the printer. The motor makes
    > a really loud grind, then the printer entirely shuts down. However,
    > if I leave it for a couple minutes, it starts back up, and after the
    > motor runs a few more times everything sounds fine....except for the
    > first problem. Are they related?
    >
    > Thanks very much,
    > Dan

    Back in the days when I worked on printers, which I don't now, for which I
    often give thanks, we always cleaned the rubber rollers of any printer that
    we serviced. The liquid we used was only to be used for that and it had a
    lot of citrus oil in it. I can't find the stuff any more, our supplier is
    completely gone from the Internet but the closest thing I can find is the
    gum off stuff that is made to remove labels.

    AG
    AG, Dec 17, 2004
  4. Dan

    Kenny Guest

    Platenclene, it's also useful for pinch rollers in VCR's and tape players.
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=platenclene&spell=1

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Dec 17, 2004
  5. Dan

    Mark in NJ Guest

    Use Lighter Fluid...
    It cleans better than any citrus product I've used,
    It leaves no oily residue, and the smell doesn't get on your nerves as
    quick.
    Mark in NJ, Dec 17, 2004
  6. Dan

    AG Guest

    Darn. Now that you've given me that info I won't have the excuse that I
    can't get the stuff any more.
    I still refuse to work on printers. It's not my job man.

    AG

    AG, Dec 17, 2004
  7. Dan

    AG Guest

    "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    >I would not clean the roller with any chemical. The fuser rollers have a
    >silicone coating to keep the paper from sticking to the roller, and if you
    >remove it you will have a lot of problems.

    We always just replaced fuser rollers. It was the rubber rollers that we
    cleaned. I guess I really didn't make that clear.

    AG
    AG, Dec 20, 2004
  8. For cleaning the rollers, I would suggest that you god to a commercial
    electronics distributor and ask what is recommenced for pressure rollers ad
    belt on tape machines. I used to use alcohol isporoponal.

    As for the possibility of it being the motor is concerned I would check that
    shaft for side motion.

    Motors have a habit of the rotor rubbing and catching to the stator when the
    bearings are worn. Replacing bearings if they are roller bearings is not
    that difficult a task, nor is rebuilding other parts of the motor. Just use
    commonsense and take your time and ask lots of questions.

    Albert

    ALBERT C. GOOD JR., Jan 3, 2005
  9. Dan

    BobS Guest

    Dan,

    Most likely it's the small rubber rollers on the back about half way up and
    the ones on the top. If the paper is jamming into a fan-fold pattern, then
    this is most likely the problem and the cure could be a simple cleaning with
    some isopropyl alcohol and Q-tips.

    You may want to give this site a look
    http://www.hp-depot.com/default.asp?page=showkits&model=all

    Bob S.

    BobS, Jan 3, 2005
  10. Dan

    Michael Guest

    BobS wrote:

    > Dan,
    >
    > Most likely it's the small rubber rollers on the back about half way up and
    > the ones on the top. If the paper is jamming into a fan-fold pattern, then
    > this is most likely the problem and the cure could be a simple cleaning with
    > some isopropyl alcohol and Q-tips.
    >
    > You may want to give this site a look
    > http://www.hp-depot.com/default.asp?page=showkits&model=all
    >
    > Bob S.

    Sorry. Can't see O.P.

    I futzed a LJ-4 out of the solid fan-fold jam problem by removing the
    final set of rollers, cleaning them, and then >gently< drawing #300
    sandpaper >across< each one just enough to knock off some of the shiny
    surface. Then wash again, thoroughly, and wipe dry. I used ethanol
    because run-of-the-mill isopropanol ("rubbing alcohol") has oil in it.

    Those rollers should have been replaced, but at the time I didn't know
    that replacements were available, and the printer's owner needed the
    printer to work ... NOW.
    Michael, Jan 4, 2005