    Any help will be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Sumant
    Sumant, Mar 16, 2008

  2. Sumant

    GTS Guest

    That may be a hardware problem. If seen wireless NIC's fail that way on
    occasion.

    GTS, Mar 17, 2008

  3. Sumant

    smlunatick Guest

    On Mar 16, 10:19 pm, "GTS" <x> wrote:
    > That may be a hardware problem.  If seen wireless NIC's fail that way on
    > occasion.
    > --
    >
    > "Sumant" <> wrote in message

    > > My wireless connection used to work just fine, but since a week it started
    > > behaving weird. It will work for 5 - 10 mintues and then stop working. It
    > > will show I am connected to the network but I am not able to browse. On
    > > seeing the status, it shows packets are being sent but nothing is being
    > > received back. If I repair the connection, it starts working again but
    > > after
    > > 5-10 mintues it is again broken. I have Windows XP Home SP2. I have
    > > already
    > > tried following

    > > 1) Had Statick IP address assigned in the TCP/IP setting. Tried chainging
    > > it
    > > to 'Optain IP address'
    > > 2) Changed the channel and tried almost all the channels
    > > 3) Re-installed the OS
    > > 4) Checked the Power Save mode and is disabled.

    > > Any help will be appreciated.

    > > Thanks,

    > > Sumant- Hide quoted text -

    Could be at the router end also or additional interferrance in your
    area now.
    smlunatick, Mar 17, 2008
  4. Sumant

    Sumant Guest

    I have another desktop which also connects using wireless adapter. That does
    not have an issue.

    What is strange is, when I am not receiving the packets when browsing
    internet, it shows excellent strength for wireless and is connected. Some
    times I am even able to connect to the desktop on which I have mapped my
    drive.

    Sumant, Mar 18, 2008
  5. Sumant

    MarkSatterfield

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Messages:
    77
    Location:
    Central Florida
    1) Are you using a default SSID, or is there another wireless broadcasting the same SSID? To check this, turn your router off, then search for available wireless connections from your wirelessly connected computers. See if "your" assigned SSID shows up in the list.

    2) Might try to just change your SSID to another name. I usually use my phone number, it is "unlikely" to be used by anyone else, and if someone wanted to contact me there is my number in wide open format.

    --Mark

    http://www.marksatterfield.com/
    http://mark.a.satterfield.googlepages.com/
    http://satterfield.890m.com/
    MarkSatterfield, Mar 18, 2008
  6. Sumant

    smlunatick Guest

    On Mar 17, 8:50 pm, Sumant <> wrote:
    > I have another desktop which also connects using wireless adapter. That does
    > not have an issue.
    >
    > What is strange is, when I am not receiving the packets when browsing
    > internet, it shows excellent strength for wireless and is connected. Some
    > times I am even able to connect to the desktop on which I have mapped my
    > drive.
    >

    > "smlunatick" wrote:
    > > On Mar 16, 10:19 pm, "GTS" <x> wrote:
    > > > That may be a hardware problem.  If seen wireless NIC's fail that way on
    > > > occasion.
    > > > --

    > > > "Sumant" <> wrote in message

    > > Could be at the router end also or additional interferrance in your
    > > area now.- Hide quoted text -

    How does the wireless network adapter connect to the problematic PC?
    I had problems with USB wireless adapters before.
    smlunatick, Mar 18, 2008
  7. Sumant

    Sumant Guest

    It is connected via internal wireless card. It is a Dell laptop with the Dell
    Wireless card.

    Sumant, Mar 18, 2008
  8. Sumant

    smlunatick Guest

    On Mar 18, 12:01 pm, Sumant <> wrote:
    > It is connected via internal wireless card. It is a Dell laptop with the Dell
    > Wireless card.
    >

    > "smlunatick" wrote:
    > > On Mar 17, 8:50 pm, Sumant <> wrote:
    > > > I have another desktop which also connects using wireless adapter. That does
    > > > not have an issue.

    > > > What is strange is, when I am not receiving the packets when browsing
    > > > internet, it shows excellent strength for wireless and is connected. Some
    > > > times I am even able to connect to the desktop on which I have mapped my
    > > > drive.

    > > How does the wireless network adapter connect to the problematic PC?
    > > I had problems with USB wireless adapters before.- Hide quoted text -

    Does this mean it is an "internal" wireless adapter built into the
    laptop or did you add it yourself?
    smlunatick, Mar 18, 2008
  9. Sumant

    John Guest

    "Sumant" <> wrote in message
    >I have another desktop which also connects using wireless adapter. That
    >does
    > not have an issue.

    Well then the AP isn't the problem.

    > What is strange is, when I am not receiving the packets when browsing
    > internet, it shows excellent strength for wireless and is connected. Some
    > times I am even able to connect to the desktop on which I have mapped my
    > drive.

    Do you have the latest driver installed on the problem computer?
    John, Mar 18, 2008
  10. Sumant

    Sumant Guest

    It came built in with the laptop.

    Sumant, Mar 18, 2008
  11. Sumant

    Sumant Guest

    Yes, I have the latest driver. All the latest windows update are also
    installed.

    Sumant, Mar 18, 2008
  12. Sumant

    John Guest

    Temporarily test it with firewall disabled.

    from your original post:
    > My wireless connection used to work just fine, but since a week it started
    > behaving weird. It will work for 5 - 10 mintues and then stop working

    Did you change anything recently? Is there a new wireless device nearby (eg:
    cordless phone) which wasn't there before the problem started? Does the
    problem disappear when you put the laptop next to the wireless AP?

    John, Mar 18, 2008
  13. Sumant

    Sumant Daga Guest

    Tried it with no luck.

    Sumant Daga, Mar 20, 2008
  14. Sumant

    Sumant Guest

    Update. When I disable the WPA-PSK security, it works fine. With Security
    enabled, it starts giving problem again.

    Sumant, Apr 2, 2008
  15. Sumant

    Barb Bowman Guest

    please post the text output of ipconfig /all
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com/ipconfig-all-how-to-get-text-output/

    what router are you using (brand, model, hardware version) and what
    version firmware? and is it the latest firmware?

    On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 18:54:00 -0700, Sumant
    <> wrote:

    >Update. When I disable the WPA-PSK security, it works fine. With Security
    >enabled, it starts giving problem again.
    >
    >"Sumant Daga" wrote:
    >
    >> Tried it with no luck.
    >>
    >> "John" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Temporarily test it with firewall disabled.
    >> >
    >> > from your original post:
    >> >
    >> > Did you change anything recently? Is there a new wireless device nearby (eg:
    >> > cordless phone) which wasn't there before the problem started? Does the
    >> > problem disappear when you put the laptop next to the wireless AP?
    >> >

    >> > "Sumant" <> wrote in message

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Apr 2, 2008
  16. Sumant

    Sumant Guest

    Router: Dlink DI-624 Firmware Version: 2.76 , Thu, 24 Aug 2006

    Ipconfig/all

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : daga-lt01
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1350 WLAN Mini-PCI
    Card
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-7D-0B-27-80
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

    Sumant, Apr 3, 2008
  17. Sumant

    Barb Bowman Guest

    what happens if you enabled DHCP? you've given the NIC a static IP.
    was this to overcome not receiving an IP from the router? Is the
    router set to mixed b/g mode? are you broadcasting the SSID?

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Apr 3, 2008
  18. Sumant

    Sumant Guest

    My router is set to assign static address depending on MAC address. Router
    is set for b/g mode and SSID is being broadcasted.

    Sumant, Apr 4, 2008
  19. Sumant

    Barb Bowman Guest

    setting the router to reserve IPs and setting the IP statically on
    the computer are very different.

    with reservation on the router, usually the computer is set to DHCP
    and DHCP on the router always serves up the same IP.

    Either remove the static reservation and assign the NIC an IP
    outside the range used for DHCP in the same subnet OR set the NIC to
    static. what happens?

    >> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-7D-0B-27-80
    > > Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    > > IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.103

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Apr 4, 2008