Problem with laptop solved

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Tony Marston, Aug 22, 2004.

  1. Tony Marston

    Tony Marston Guest

    I have a desktop and a laptop which I have been trying to link together in a
    wifi network for months, but with limited success.

    Both my desktop and my laptop run Windows XP. My desktop has an ASUS
    motherboard and an ASUS 802.11b WiFi card. It is connected to the internet
    through an ADSL modem. I fitted my laptop with a 3COM PC card and although I
    could share the internet connection and share files and folders this would
    only last for 5 minutes or so. The "link" light on the 3COM card would start
    blinking (even though I was only 6 feet away from the desktop), it would
    lose the connection, then freeze the laptop completely.

    I tried every trick I could think of, even waiting to install SP2 on both
    machines, but without success. I tried downloading and installing a new
    driver from the 3COM site, but that kept coming up with an Error Code 10
    during the installation process, so I had to go back to the original driver.

    The solution when it came was remarkably simple. I threw out the 3COM card
    and replaced it with a cheaper one from US Robotics. Ever since then my
    connections have been rock solid and I can share files and surf the net all
    day on my laptop without fearing that the damn thing will freeze up.

    Down with 3COM, up with US Robotics.

    --
    Tony Marston

    http://www.tonymarston.net