    MS, Please forward to that team for evaluation.

    Bobby
    1{trifster [at] (gmail).(com)}1

    Robert A. Trifiletti, Jr., Mar 10, 2005

  2. Hello,

    I tried to reproduce the problem you are experiencing but was
    unsuccessful. Here's what I did:

    My installation was on Windows XP SP2.
    I tried connecting to an Open / WEP wireless network using a 40 bit WEP key
    by the View Available Networks user interface.
    Once I was connected to the wireless network I rebooted.
    After the reboot, my laptop was able to connect to the network & get a DHCP
    address without having to reenter the WEP key.

    I then deleted the wireless network & rebooted.
    Then I created a wireless network entry by going to the Properties for the
    wireless network card and adding a new preferred network. I was able to
    connect to the wireless network with this entry.
    I rebooted and the laptop was able to connect without having to reenter the
    WEP key

    I was wondering if you could provide some more info to try to help me
    reproduce the problem:

    Did you install KB884883 on Windows XP SP2?
    Did you have any other KBs installed? If so, which ones?
    Did you have your settings for the wireless network configured before
    you installed KB884883?
    If not, how did you connect to the wireless network? Did you connect
    using the View Available Network UI or did you manually create the entry for
    the wireless network?
    What are the settings for the network you are connecting to? Is it an
    infrastructure or ad-hoc network?

    Thanks,
    Chris Gual [MSFT]

    Chris Gual [MSFT], Mar 14, 2005