    How can I find out his/hers IP from it? Then I figure I could also
    locate him/her. Can this be done? Thanks in advance for all replies.
    /Olof Johansson
    Olof Johansson, Feb 13, 2004

  2. Olof Johansson

    Will Dormann Guest

    Olof Johansson wrote:

    > Hi people!
    > I'm having trouble with someone stealing my IP-number. Occasionally I
    > get the error message "A conflict has occurred for ip-number: <my ip>
    > with the system with hardware adress xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" or something
    > like that (translated from swedish). I'm running win98, connected to the
    > internet on the university LAN. So I do have his/hers hardware address.
    > How can I find out his/hers IP from it? Then I figure I could also
    > locate him/her. Can this be done? Thanks in advance for all replies.

    I'm sure there are other ways, but when this happened to me I used one
    of the popular unix servers on campus to figure it out.

    I did the following command:
    last | grep <hostname>

    I just looked to see which login wasn't me.

    -WD
    Will Dormann, Feb 13, 2004

  3. In article <c0jin0$181cdn$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > Hi people!
    > I'm having trouble with someone stealing my IP-number. Occasionally I
    > get the error message "A conflict has occurred for ip-number: <my ip>
    > with the system with hardware adress xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" or something
    > like that (translated from swedish). I'm running win98, connected to the
    > internet on the university LAN. So I do have his/hers hardware address.
    > How can I find out his/hers IP from it? Then I figure I could also
    > locate him/her. Can this be done? Thanks in advance for all replies.
    > /Olof Johansson

    it's probably not a theft, it's probably a misconfigured computer set
    with a static IP address. do you use DHCP to achieve IP connectivity? If
    so, you probably were assigned X and this person set their computer as a
    static, it being X also, therefore, causing the error. If you're DHCP,
    reboot.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."
    Colonel Flagg, Feb 13, 2004
  4. Colonel Flagg wrote:
    > In article <c0jin0$181cdn$-berlin.de>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Hi people!
    >>I'm having trouble with someone stealing my IP-number. Occasionally I
    >>get the error message "A conflict has occurred for ip-number: <my ip>
    >>with the system with hardware adress xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" or something
    >>like that (translated from swedish). I'm running win98, connected to the
    >>internet on the university LAN. So I do have his/hers hardware address.
    >>How can I find out his/hers IP from it? Then I figure I could also
    >>locate him/her. Can this be done? Thanks in advance for all replies.
    >>/Olof Johansson
    >>

    > it's probably not a theft, it's probably a misconfigured computer set
    > with a static IP address. do you use DHCP to achieve IP connectivity?

    Yes. But I always get the same IP-number.

    If
    > so, you probably were assigned X and this person set their computer as a
    > static, it being X also, therefore, causing the error. If you're DHCP,
    > reboot.

    Rebooting still gives me the same IP-number, same as always. And yes,
    the person must have set the ip manually. I'm thinking this could be a
    way of not getting caught by the admins using a p2p-program which are
    prohibited on the network (because they give too much traffic overall).
    I just don't like it since I don't want any problem of that kind + I
    dont want my web- and mailpages to go to another computer. I've tipped
    off the security guys about it, but I don't really count on them getting
    the job done. What can I do with the hw-adress I have, from my computer
    running win98? (I don't have access to a unix system or a network
    server.) Or should I change my ip manually too (seems like a bad idea,
    though)?

    Olof Johansson, Feb 13, 2004
  5. In article <c0jloo$17lunb$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > Colonel Flagg wrote:
    > > In article <c0jin0$181cdn$-berlin.de>,
    > > says...
    > >
    > >>Hi people!
    > >>I'm having trouble with someone stealing my IP-number. Occasionally I
    > >>get the error message "A conflict has occurred for ip-number: <my ip>
    > >>with the system with hardware adress xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" or something
    > >>like that (translated from swedish). I'm running win98, connected to the
    > >>internet on the university LAN. So I do have his/hers hardware address.
    > >>How can I find out his/hers IP from it? Then I figure I could also
    > >>locate him/her. Can this be done? Thanks in advance for all replies.
    > >>/Olof Johansson
    > >>

    > > it's probably not a theft, it's probably a misconfigured computer set
    > > with a static IP address. do you use DHCP to achieve IP connectivity?

    > Yes. But I always get the same IP-number.
    >
    > If
    > > so, you probably were assigned X and this person set their computer as a
    > > static, it being X also, therefore, causing the error. If you're DHCP,
    > > reboot.
    > >

    > Rebooting still gives me the same IP-number, same as always. And yes,
    > the person must have set the ip manually. I'm thinking this could be a
    > way of not getting caught by the admins using a p2p-program which are
    > prohibited on the network (because they give too much traffic overall).
    > I just don't like it since I don't want any problem of that kind + I
    > dont want my web- and mailpages to go to another computer. I've tipped
    > off the security guys about it, but I don't really count on them getting
    > the job done. What can I do with the hw-adress I have, from my computer
    > running win98? (I don't have access to a unix system or a network
    > server.) Or should I change my ip manually too (seems like a bad idea,
    > though)?

    the DHCP server could be binding your MAC to the IP address. When you
    get the message next time, run winipcfg from start -> run, and
    release/renew for the ethernet adapter. this should theoretically pull
    the new IP from the dhcp pool.

    if however your theory is correct, sooner or later, someone will use
    your new IP address, then you'll be back to square one.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."
    Colonel Flagg, Feb 14, 2004
  6. Olof Johansson

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:19:22 +0100, Olof Johansson
    <> wrote:
    <snip>

    >I just don't like it since I don't want any problem of that kind + I
    >dont want my web- and mailpages to go to another computer.

    The IP address just allows you to use the network, your mail
    and access to any web pages you own are protected by
    a userid and password.

    Look at your settings and see if you have an IP address
    permenantly set in the machine or if its allocated by a
    server. Either way its not a big deal, talk to whoever
    manages the network.
    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Feb 14, 2004
  7. Olof Johansson

    <> wrote:

    >Colonel Flagg wrote:
    >> In article <c0jin0$181cdn$-berlin.de>,
    >> says...
    >>
    >>>Hi people!
    >>>I'm having trouble with someone stealing my IP-number. Occasionally I
    >>>get the error message "A conflict has occurred for ip-number: <my ip>
    >>>with the system with hardware adress xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" or something
    >>>like that (translated from swedish). I'm running win98, connected to the
    >>>internet on the university LAN. So I do have his/hers hardware address.
    >>>How can I find out his/hers IP from it? Then I figure I could also
    >>>locate him/her. Can this be done? Thanks in advance for all replies.
    >>>/Olof Johansson
    >>>

    >> it's probably not a theft, it's probably a misconfigured computer set
    >> with a static IP address. do you use DHCP to achieve IP connectivity?

    >Yes. But I always get the same IP-number.

    that is because the DHCP server has given you a lease.
    do ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew from the command prompt.
    misconfigured DHCP servers with dodgy reservations, rogue servers and
    rouge statics were always a big problem in corporate (nazi) settings .
    this should give you a different ip (if it doesnt you can try picking
    a manual one but that is probably what the other person has done in
    the first place and may cause someone else to have the same problem as
    you ).
    then you can do a ping -a ip.address.you.crave
    to find out a bit more about who has the ip address.
    also nbtstat -a ip.address.you.crave and arp -a ip.address.you.crave
    to get the MAC address.

    sam [ ex-MCSE :) ]
    , Feb 14, 2004
  8. Olof Johansson

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    Olof Johansson <> wrote in news:c0jin0$181cdn$1@ID-
    224573.news.uni-berlin.de:

    > Hi people!
    > I'm having trouble with someone stealing my IP-number. Occasionally I
    > get the error message "A conflict has occurred for ip-number: <my ip>
    > with the system with hardware adress xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" or something
    > like that (translated from swedish). I'm running win98, connected to the
    > internet on the university LAN. So I do have his/hers hardware address.
    > How can I find out his/hers IP from it? Then I figure I could also
    > locate him/her. Can this be done? Thanks in advance for all replies.
    > /Olof Johansson

    it's not a thief. it's just duplicate ip address on same subnet.

    here is what you can do. while your machine is working - no conflicts. ping
    a few ip's up & down from you. write down the ones that are available. also
    write down your gateway, dns settings.

    when it happens again, change your ip to manual to the one the ones that
    were available, also input your other GW & DNS setting. then ping & arp -a
    to get MAC address of duplicate ip host. send the MAC address to the sys
    admin and tell them what happened.

    :)

    --
    Rowdy Yates
    Things I learnt in the army:
    Rowdy Yates, Feb 14, 2004
  9. In article <>, sam1967
    @hetnet.nl says...
    > On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:19:22 +0100, Olof Johansson
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Colonel Flagg wrote:
    > >> In article <c0jin0$181cdn$-berlin.de>,
    > >> says...

    > >> it's probably not a theft, it's probably a misconfigured computer set
    > >> with a static IP address. do you use DHCP to achieve IP connectivity?

    > >Yes. But I always get the same IP-number.
    > >

    > that is because the DHCP server has given you a lease.
    > do ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew from the command prompt.
    > misconfigured DHCP servers with dodgy reservations, rogue servers and
    > rouge statics were always a big problem in corporate (nazi) settings .
    > this should give you a different ip (if it doesnt you can try picking
    > a manual one but that is probably what the other person has done in
    > the first place and may cause someone else to have the same problem as
    > you ).
    > then you can do a ping -a ip.address.you.crave
    > to find out a bit more about who has the ip address.
    > also nbtstat -a ip.address.you.crave and arp -a ip.address.you.crave
    > to get the MAC address.
    >
    > sam [ ex-MCSE :) ]

    he's using win98, which doesn't have ipconfig, it has winipcfg, probably
    doesn't have nbtstat or arp, but maybe... depends what was installed
    previously.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."
    Colonel Flagg, Feb 14, 2004
  10. Olof Johansson

    Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 12:09:21 -0500, Colonel Flagg
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, sam1967
    >@hetnet.nl says...
    >> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:19:22 +0100, Olof Johansson
    >> <> wrote:

    >> >Yes. But I always get the same IP-number.
    >> >

    >> that is because the DHCP server has given you a lease.
    >> do ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew from the command prompt.
    >> misconfigured DHCP servers with dodgy reservations, rogue servers and
    >> rouge statics were always a big problem in corporate (nazi) settings .
    >> this should give you a different ip (if it doesnt you can try picking
    >> a manual one but that is probably what the other person has done in
    >> the first place and may cause someone else to have the same problem as
    >> you ).
    >> then you can do a ping -a ip.address.you.crave
    >> to find out a bit more about who has the ip address.
    >> also nbtstat -a ip.address.you.crave and arp -a ip.address.you.crave
    >> to get the MAC address.
    >>
    >> sam [ ex-MCSE :) ]
    >>

    >he's using win98, which doesn't have ipconfig, it has winipcfg,

    what a pedant. i meant winipcfg. if he doesnt know how to release and
    renew his ip address he shouldnt be using a computer.

    >probably
    >doesn't have nbtstat or arp, but maybe... depends what was installed
    >previously.

    of course he has arp and nbtstat . ever heard of a tcpip stack ?
    , Feb 14, 2004
  11. Olof Johansson

    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, sam1967
    >@hetnet.nl says...
    >> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:19:22 +0100, Olof Johansson
    >> <> wrote:

    >> >Yes. But I always get the same IP-number.
    >> >

    >> that is because the DHCP server has given you a lease.
    >> do ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew from the command prompt.
    >> misconfigured DHCP servers with dodgy reservations, rogue servers and
    >> rouge statics were always a big problem in corporate (nazi) settings .
    >> this should give you a different ip (if it doesnt you can try picking
    >> a manual one but that is probably what the other person has done in
    >> the first place and may cause someone else to have the same problem as
    >> you ).
    >> then you can do a ping -a ip.address.you.crave
    >> to find out a bit more about who has the ip address.
    >> also nbtstat -a ip.address.you.crave and arp -a ip.address.you.crave
    >> to get the MAC address.
    >>
    >> sam [ ex-MCSE :) ]
    >>

    >he's using win98, which doesn't have ipconfig,

    wrong.

    > it has winipcfg, probably
    >doesn't have nbtstat or arp

    wrong.

    >, but maybe... depends what was installed
    >previously.

    you havent a clue do you ?
    , Feb 14, 2004
  12. Rowdy Yates wrote:
    > Olof Johansson <> wrote in news:c0jin0$181cdn$1@ID-
    > 224573.news.uni-berlin.de:
    >

    >>Hi people!
    >>I'm having trouble with someone stealing my IP-number. Occasionally I
    >>get the error message "A conflict has occurred for ip-number: <my ip>
    >>with the system with hardware adress xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" or something
    >>like that (translated from swedish). I'm running win98, connected to the
    >>internet on the university LAN. So I do have his/hers hardware address.
    >>How can I find out his/hers IP from it? Then I figure I could also
    >>locate him/her. Can this be done? Thanks in advance for all replies.
    >>/Olof Johansson

    > it's not a thief. it's just duplicate ip address on same subnet.
    >
    > here is what you can do. while your machine is working - no conflicts. ping
    > a few ip's up & down from you. write down the ones that are available. also
    > write down your gateway, dns settings.
    >
    > when it happens again, change your ip to manual to the one the ones that
    > were available, also input your other GW & DNS setting. then ping & arp -a
    > to get MAC address of duplicate ip host. send the MAC address to the sys
    > admin and tell them what happened.
    >
    > :)

    Clever! I'll do that. The only thing I now need to know are what flags
    to use to the ping command for pinging a few addresses up and
    down...anybody knows this for win98?

    I did release & renew at one time when i got the message, but still got
    my usual ip from the DHCP server. So it does have my hw address stored
    and coupled with my ip. Good idea, though.
    Thanks!
    /Olof Johansson
    Olof Johansson, Feb 14, 2004
  13. Olof Johansson

    martin Guest

    "Olof Johansson" <> wrote in message
    > Hi people!
    > I'm having trouble with someone stealing my IP-number. Occasionally I
    > get the error message "A conflict has occurred for ip-number: <my ip>
    > with the system with hardware adress xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" or something
    > like that (translated from swedish). I'm running win98, connected to the
    > internet on the university LAN. So I do have his/hers hardware address.
    > How can I find out his/hers IP from it? Then I figure I could also
    > locate him/her. Can this be done? Thanks in advance for all replies.
    > /Olof Johansson

    Hi Olof

    The other guys have given you good advice. One other thing to watch out for
    are laptop users.

    Often these just go into hybernation rather than going through a re-boot.
    The re-boot would query the DHCP server for a new address, going into
    hybernation they just start up with their last valid settings. It might not
    be malicious.

    Always worth doing a /release /renew just in case. Of course, you might need
    to pass this advice onto the culprit, your IT dept should be able to get the
    machine name that is in conflict with you.

    cheers
    martin, Feb 14, 2004
  14. Olof Johansson

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    Olof Johansson <> wrote in

    > Clever! I'll do that. The only thing I now need to know are what flags
    > to use to the ping command for pinging a few addresses up and
    > down...anybody knows this for win98?
    >
    > I did release & renew at one time when i got the message, but still
    > got my usual ip from the DHCP server. So it does have my hw address
    > stored and coupled with my ip. Good idea, though.
    > Thanks!
    > /Olof Johansson

    the dhcp server is setup to assign your mac that ip. the other guy is just
    using manual setup and it's conflicting.

    to be very honest, i would just ask the admin to give me a new ip address.
    why are you wasting your time on this if you are not getting paid for it?
    if the admins put up a stick about it, then you go ahead and tell them of
    the problems you are having.

    :)

    --
    Rowdy Yates
    Things I learnt in the army:
    Rowdy Yates, Feb 14, 2004
  15. Rowdy Yates wrote:
    > Olof Johansson <> wrote in
    >

    >>Clever! I'll do that. The only thing I now need to know are what flags
    >>to use to the ping command for pinging a few addresses up and
    >>down...anybody knows this for win98?
    >>
    >>I did release & renew at one time when i got the message, but still
    >>got my usual ip from the DHCP server. So it does have my hw address
    >>stored and coupled with my ip. Good idea, though.
    >>Thanks!
    >>/Olof Johansson
    >>

    > the dhcp server is setup to assign your mac that ip. the other guy is just
    > using manual setup and it's conflicting.
    >
    > to be very honest, i would just ask the admin to give me a new ip address.
    > why are you wasting your time on this if you are not getting paid for it?
    > if the admins put up a stick about it, then you go ahead and tell them of
    > the problems you are having.
    >
    > :)

    I'll drink to that :)
    cherrio then!
    Olof Johansson, Feb 14, 2004
  16. In article <>, sam1967
    @hetnet.nl says...
    > On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 12:09:21 -0500, Colonel Flagg
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>, sam1967
    > >@hetnet.nl says...

    > >> that is because the DHCP server has given you a lease.
    > >> do ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew from the command prompt.
    > >> misconfigured DHCP servers with dodgy reservations, rogue servers and
    > >> rouge statics were always a big problem in corporate (nazi) settings .
    > >> this should give you a different ip (if it doesnt you can try picking
    > >> a manual one but that is probably what the other person has done in
    > >> the first place and may cause someone else to have the same problem as
    > >> you ).
    > >> then you can do a ping -a ip.address.you.crave
    > >> to find out a bit more about who has the ip address.
    > >> also nbtstat -a ip.address.you.crave and arp -a ip.address.you.crave
    > >> to get the MAC address.
    > >>
    > >> sam [ ex-MCSE :) ]
    > >>

    > >he's using win98, which doesn't have ipconfig,

    > wrong.
    >
    > > it has winipcfg, probably
    > >doesn't have nbtstat or arp

    > wrong.
    >
    > >, but maybe... depends what was installed
    > >previously.

    > you havent a clue do you ?

    older versions of Win98 did not automatically install nbtstat and arp
    with the standard installation. before you go off running your mouth,
    bow down to the experience in front of you and kiss my feet.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."
    Colonel Flagg, Feb 14, 2004
  17. In article <>, sam1967
    @hetnet.nl says...
    > On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 12:09:21 -0500, Colonel Flagg
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>, sam1967
    > >@hetnet.nl says...

    > >> that is because the DHCP server has given you a lease.
    > >> do ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew from the command prompt.
    > >> misconfigured DHCP servers with dodgy reservations, rogue servers and
    > >> rouge statics were always a big problem in corporate (nazi) settings .
    > >> this should give you a different ip (if it doesnt you can try picking
    > >> a manual one but that is probably what the other person has done in
    > >> the first place and may cause someone else to have the same problem as
    > >> you ).
    > >> then you can do a ping -a ip.address.you.crave
    > >> to find out a bit more about who has the ip address.
    > >> also nbtstat -a ip.address.you.crave and arp -a ip.address.you.crave
    > >> to get the MAC address.
    > >>
    > >> sam [ ex-MCSE :) ]
    > >>

    > >he's using win98, which doesn't have ipconfig, it has winipcfg,

    > what a pedant. i meant winipcfg. if he doesnt know how to release and
    > renew his ip address he shouldnt be using a computer.

    what you *mean* has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion. this
    person is asking for specific information, if you're too goddamn stupid
    to read the written word and understand what the person is asking,
    simply shut the **** up and let those of us with enough experience to
    answer questions do so....

    I don't attempt to answer _anything_ I am not sure about. why don't you
    try the same? a little patience, professionalism and experience goes a
    long way.

    as for courtesy, I was perfectly courteous to the person asking the
    question and gave back to you exactly what your little ****-tard ass
    deserved, a snippet answer to a snippet person.

    > >probably
    > >doesn't have nbtstat or arp, but maybe... depends what was installed
    > >previously.

    > of course he has arp and nbtstat . ever heard of a tcpip stack ?

    tcp/ip stack has nothing to do with whether nbtstat or arp was
    installed. early builds of Win98 networking didn't install this
    automatically, whether on purpose or a bug from microsoft, i've found
    many, many, computers over the years without it installed.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."
    Colonel Flagg, Feb 14, 2004
  18. Olof Johansson

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:34:50 -0500, Colonel Flagg
    <> wrote:

    >older versions of Win98 did not automatically install nbtstat and arp
    >with the standard installation.

    But they all had IPCONFIG so you are in the wrong. Gotcha !
    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Feb 14, 2004
  19. In article <>,
    _way says...
    > On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:34:50 -0500, Colonel Flagg
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >older versions of Win98 did not automatically install nbtstat and arp
    > >with the standard installation.

    > But they all had IPCONFIG so you are in the wrong. Gotcha !
    > --
    > Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    I believe that was only in the later versions and i'm pretty sure it
    wasn't in the upgrades from win95. which, i believe, the nbtstat problem
    stems from win95 to win98 upgrades, where win95 wasn't up-to-date and
    didn't have dialup networking 1.3 or greater installed.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."
    Colonel Flagg, Feb 15, 2004
  20. Olof Johansson

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    Jim Watt <_way> wrote in

    > On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:34:50 -0500, Colonel Flagg
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>older versions of Win98 did not automatically install nbtstat and arp
    >>with the standard installation.

    > But they all had IPCONFIG so you are in the wrong. Gotcha !

    I'll be damned. It *does* have IPCONFIG. I've been using WinIPCfg all this
    time and could've been using that.

    [ Doc Jeff ], Feb 15, 2004