Problem with internet connection, cable modem with router.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by JohnF, May 31, 2006.

  1. JohnF

    JohnF Guest

    I'm having a problem with dropping connection on 2 separate network
    setups I put in. Both have cable modems but each has a different
    router. The initial setup goes fine and everything works. Then, after
    a while, the internet connection goes away and I can't get it back
    without resetting the modem and router. It will be OK for a while then
    drop again. I tried 2 different routers on the one system with current
    upgrades with the same result. I've been Google-ing for 2 days and
    can't seem to land on a page with a definite idea. If I had the
    systems or even one of them here to play with I'm sure I could figure
    it out but I don't. One is in Maui and the other in San Diego with me
    being in Phoenix. Cox, the San Diego ISP, won't help me "we don't
    support 3rd party hardware", the only info I could get out of them is
    that they don't use a MAC address so spoofing the MAC isn't an answer.
    I haven't been able to play with either setup except for the initial
    install, my other work has been through a 3rd person that can swap
    parts but can't actually dink with router settings or anything like
    that.

    I've installed more than 1/2 dozen networks with internet and no
    problems, these have no problem with the networking but drop internet
    connectivity and they are the only ones so far that have been cable
    based. The others were DSL or wireless.

    Ideas por favor ??

    JohnF

    JohnF, May 31, 2006

  2. JohnF

    JohnF Guest

    Forgot to add that these are both wireless routers. One is open the
    other setup with WPA.

    JohnF

    JohnF, May 31, 2006

  3. JohnF

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 31 May 2006 13:59:45 +0000, JohnF wrote:

    > I'm having a problem with dropping connection on 2 separate network setups
    > I put in. Both have cable modems but each has a different router. The
    > initial setup goes fine and everything works. Then, after a while, the
    > internet connection goes away and I can't get it back without resetting
    > the modem and router. It will be OK for a while then drop again. I tried 2
    > different routers on the one system with current upgrades with the same
    > result. I've been Google-ing for 2 days and can't seem to land on a page
    > with a definite idea. If I had the systems or even one of them here to
    > play with I'm sure I could figure it out but I don't. One is in Maui and
    > the other in San Diego with me being in Phoenix. Cox, the San Diego ISP,
    > won't help me "we don't support 3rd party hardware", the only info I could
    > get out of them is that they don't use a MAC address so spoofing the MAC
    > isn't an answer. I haven't been able to play with either setup except for
    > the initial install, my other work has been through a 3rd person that can
    > swap parts but can't actually dink with router settings or anything like
    > that.
    >
    > I've installed more than 1/2 dozen networks with internet and no problems,
    > these have no problem with the networking but drop internet connectivity
    > and they are the only ones so far that have been cable based. The others
    > were DSL or wireless.
    >
    > Ideas por favor ??
    >
    > JohnF

    Try plugging a PC into the cable modem and see if the connection is
    dropped.

    Meat Plow, May 31, 2006
  4. JohnF

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-05-31, JohnF <> wrote:
    > I'm having a problem with dropping connection on 2 separate network
    > setups I put in. Both have cable modems but each has a different
    > router.

    >The initial setup goes fine and everything works. Then, after
    > a while, the internet connection goes away and I can't get it back
    > without resetting the modem and router.

    It sounds like the DHCP match between the cable and the router is being
    dropped and the router is no londer recognized. [see below]

    -----
    > that they don't use a MAC address so spoofing the MAC isn't an answer.

    That usually says to me that the TOS is for one computer, not one IP address
    that can be "adopted" by a router in order to be interfaced with the cable
    modem.

    > I haven't been able to play with either setup except for the initial
    > install, my other work has been through a 3rd person that can swap
    > parts but can't actually dink with router settings or anything like
    > that.
    >
    > I've installed more than 1/2 dozen networks with internet and no
    > problems, these have no problem with the networking but drop internet
    > connectivity and they are the only ones so far that have been cable
    > based. The others were DSL or wireless.
    >
    > Ideas por favor ??

    My critical comment is:
    "Why are you running around setting up networks that you physically cannot
    support?"

    My helpful comment is to tell the others in Maui and San Diego that they
    need local support.

    --
    "helpful to Maui and San Diego, anyway"
    It's not like Death Valley...there's someone local who can help them out.

    Jimchip, May 31, 2006
  5. JohnF

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-05-31, JohnF <> wrote:

    > Forgot to add that these are both wireless routers. One is open the

    Hehehehe....move off channel 6. It might not help but that's where most
    others are.

    --
    DSL ain't the same.

    Jimchip, May 31, 2006
  6. JohnF

    JohnF Guest

    Yes, in both cases the connection is consistant if the modem is
    plugged directly to the PC.

    JohnF

    JohnF, May 31, 2006
  7. JohnF

    JohnF Guest

    These 2 setups are for family. The one is San Diego I can service
    because I'm there a couple times a month.......wish I could say that
    for the one in Maui......sigh.

    But I still need ideas as to why I, as well as many other people from
    what I read online, am having a problem with cable modem/router
    setups.

    JohnF

    JohnF, May 31, 2006
  8. JohnF

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "JohnF" <> wrote in message
    > These 2 setups are for family. The one is San Diego I can service
    > because I'm there a couple times a month.......wish I could say that
    > for the one in Maui......sigh.
    >
    > But I still need ideas as to why I, as well as many other people from
    > what I read online, am having a problem with cable modem/router
    > setups.

    Have you tried flashing the router with the latest version of the firmware?
    Sometimes, a re-flash of the router with the firmware will correct problems
    like you're having with dropped connections.

    Have you tried posting to a wireless NG?

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 1, 2006
  9. JohnF

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-05-31, JohnF <> wrote:
    > These 2 setups are for family. The one is San Diego I can service
    > because I'm there a couple times a month.......wish I could say that
    > for the one in Maui......sigh.
    >
    > But I still need ideas as to why I, as well as many other people from
    > what I read online, am having a problem with cable modem/router
    > setups.

    I guess you missed my comment about moving off channel 6. You could also
    post the model number of the wireless. I don't think it's "cable
    modem/router", per se. I think it's wireless router and the fact that "San
    Diego" doesn't let you clone the MAC address. You have 2 different issues.

    Just because it's for family, does that mean they can't pay for local
    support?

    [snip]

    --
    The are many more problems with wireless routers as compared to wired
    routers.

    Jimchip, Jun 1, 2006
  10. JohnF

    JohnF Guest

    Last weekend I took an old Airlink101 (AR504) wired router over to
    San Diego and installed it. It set up with no input from me at all, I
    never had to go into the router or change any settings and it worked
    fine. It's now Thursday and it hasn't dropped the internet connection
    once.
    Why would there be a problem with wireless routers but not with a
    wired one?

    JohnF

    JohnF, Jun 22, 2006